LegacyGT.com

Poor FM reception in my 2005 LGT

My 2005 LGT which I've had for 3+ weeks gets poor FM radio reception compared to the radio in my past 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo. My favorite stations were clear and clean 90% of the time in the Volvo and now are that way 10%-50% of the time depending on which station. Does anyone else notice this? Is there a way to improve the FM reception?

I've noticed HUGE variances in FM reception in the OEM radios I've had in the 20 or so cars I've owned. I do notice that the Subaru one is fairly weak, however, not the weakest I've ever encountered.

They do make fm boosters, however I've never used one so I don't know if they work properly. Might want to check out radio shack (I think that's the last place I remember seeing one).

My 0.02. My FM reception is average. Maybe a little bit better than my '98 Outback which had a power antenna. My windows are tinted.

My guess is a slightly loose antenna connection at the head unit. However, I don't know your frame of reference so your definition of poor might actually be what I consider average.

i tinted my windows.. i did not notice any degradation of FM reception. it was not all that strong to begin with. but AM reception went to hell. i can't get anything when the engine is on. when the engine is off i can get the AM stations that are further away.. but this wasn't an issue before i tinted my windows.

I think that was sadly my point, nobody has come up with a good solution yet :(

and as far as tint causing problems its if you use metallic tint, the radio waves bounces off the tint. Regular plastic tint has no effect on reception.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

i tinted my windows.. i did not notice any degradation of FM reception. it was not all that strong to begin with. but AM reception went to hell. i can't get anything when the engine is on. when the engine is off i can get the AM stations that are further away.. but this wasn't an issue before i tinted my windows.

That is probably due to a bad ground somewhere.

Could be the antenna cable itself, or totally unrelated.

AM noise trouble shooting is a PITA.

Biggest reason I got out of the Car Audio biz.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

The legacy's reception is weak at best. My window tint didn't help. Also I think some of the stations have cut back on their signal strength as of late. Why can't we get a cool little shark fin like BMW.

Don't the 850 have an external antenna? Volvo, before they went to the antenna on the glass, had one of the longest antennas around. My sister's S90's antenna will hit my parent's garage door if it is left extended. None of the other cars will come close to hitting it.

Don't the 850 have an external antenna? Volvo, before they went to the antenna on the glass, had one of the longest antennas around. My sister's S90's antenna will hit my parent's garage door if it is left extended. None of the other cars will come close to hitting it.
My 94 850 Turbo Wagon had the antenna built in to the left rear window as I recall. It had no extending external antenna.

I think it's pretty funny that there is a thread on this...I just got my windows tintied and my AM reception went to shit.

I listen to a lot of sports radio so I'm not pleased....I wonder if there is a better way to ground it.?

Rehab is for quitters.

I think it's pretty funny that there is a thread on this...I just got my windows tintied and my AM reception went to shit.

I listen to a lot of sports radio so I'm not pleased....I wonder if there is a better way to ground it.?

Subaru did issue a TSB (15-115-05) for 2005 Legacy and Outback wagons with poor AM reception. Dealers were instructed to add an additional ground wire, I believe.

the radio in my 05 is pretty weak. it is very noticable when you switch cars and drive the same spots ie to work. my gfs car (merc sable) has a much better radio (fm) signal all the way to work where as my car looses it in certain spot. i also noticed this with a rental, ithink it was an accord.

Archived