LegacyGT.com

Installing uppipe...

rainman

Done some searching, some of the how to's don't have pictures working anymore, but read through them all. Any suggestions on installing a new uppipe other than have plenty of WD-40/PB Blaster and taking my time?

I dropped the passenger side manifold and in bolted it from the crossover and that was easy enough. The o2 sensor was a pain but made a lot of needed space. Also had to bend the egt sensor to get the up pipe out. Also the heat shield bolts sucked to get out. Good luck. If you hit a snag, stop and post. Apparently there is some crescent moon thing you never want to hit close by.

Definitely needed to bend the egt sensor a bit to get it out. I didn't reuse it, so it was no big deal to me. A little bending probably won't break it though. I also pulled the front O2 sensor to get at one of the uppipe studs.

The only other thing that I can add is that I loosened the passenger side motor mount nut (did not remove all the way from the stud) and then put a jack with a wooden block under the oil pan and lifted on the whole engine about a 1/4 inch or so. Makes a pretty big difference actually in how easily the up comes out. The turbo flange is just a little too big to come out easily between the head and the inner fender.

Yeah don't rush. Take a break if you can't get it so you don't just start yanking. It's worth the time. I swear my car smiled on the first drive after. Make sure you either have the resistor or a tune that kills the cel. My cobb stage 2 map turned it off. No idea about other maps tho.

I tried. Couldn't get up in there. Also had giant cutters. Gave up and bent it with plyers then finished by hand. The pipe about feel out after that! All said and done about a two hour job. Would have been a twenty minute good if there weren't 9 heat shields and a cross threaded o2 sensor.

Archived