LegacyGT.com

Winter tires - Philly area

stanjk3

Just wondering what kind of winter tires those who live around Philly are using. Thinking of buying a set for the wife's Impreza. I'm not way out in bumblephuck, so most roads are treated & plowed fairly quickly.

Debating if I should get a performance winter tire like the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, or a full winter like the General AltiMAX Arctic or Conti EWC.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I, personally, didn't have the $$$ for both snows and summer rubber at the time I needed tires so I went with DWS's. When it snows enough to plow, most of my roads are cleared or close to it when I leave for work. Down the road, I'll spring for good wheels with sticky rubber for dry weather and toss a set of 225 snows on the OEM wheels. But, if you can swing the $$$ for a dedicated set of snow tires, the Dunlops get good reviews. And a good friend bought the Generals for his VW and they are super aggressive and affordable. Both are good choices.

I have a good example for you. I have DWS on my car and my friend has the cheap as shit Nankang tires which I also use as my summer tires. We both drove on the same roads and my DWS are def much better at everything in the snow but you would expect that from a winter sport tire. Anyway what im really getting at is. If you dont have the cash and your driving a subaru it really doesn't matter what kind of tread you have on there especially if the roads are not unplowed. We both were able to go in unplowed roads I could just accelerate faster and take corners faster that was the only difference. Unless you really dont know how to drive you wont get stuck even with shitty tires. A guy with a WRX came in the parking lot with us and his front tires were showing cords thats how bad they were and he could still move and turn.

I wanted to buy the Altimax snow tires but got a good deal with rims and tires so why spend the extra money right? If anything the DWS are your best bet for year round because these tires are still decent in the dry and rain. The nankangs are only good in the dry warm weather, if its even slick they slide out so dont get them!

I would have got the Conti DWS but someone on here had a set of BFG Traction T/As they needed to sell. They're better than RE92s in the snow (which isn't saying much) and my Eagle GTs. As long as you don't try to brake or turn too fast you'll be fine. For a $70 tire (clearance price at Tire rack) they get the job done.

I'm a professional driver, but my wife isn't. The idea of getting her winter tires is so I don't have to hear her bitch about driving in the snow. But on second thought I have better things to do with $540. That's the best price installed I could find for the Dunlops.

If I drove more than 5K miles a year I'd probably already have a set of winters for my LGT. But at my rate they'd probably dry rot before they wore out.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived