LegacyGT.com

radio volume

RedDawg

just wondering what avg. volume you guys listen to the radio at (for guys with the oem HU)

if there's passengers in the car its usually at 8-12.

if i'm alone its usually at 12, up to 18-20 if i feel like "rocking out" :lol:

It really depends on what I am listening to at the time. Most the time I keep it around 10, when I rock out it goes up to the twenties.

what do you have your audio settings at?

not sure off the top of my head, usually i bump the treble up 2-3 notches from 0 and the bass up 1.

id have to check though to be sure what i have it at currently.

I'd be interested to see the HK users numbers as well - Here are mine:

Volume - normal: 4-7, "Rockin out": 12-15. Anything beyond 12 really creates some horrible noises from the sub in the back deck. Looking into replacing that soon.

I'd be interested to see the HK users numbers as well - Here are mine:

Volume - normal: 4-7, "Rockin out": 12-15. Anything beyond 12 really creates some horrible noises from the sub in the back deck. Looking into replacing that soon.

what are you thinking about replacing it with. heck i didnt even think about that either. i was thinking about putting my 2 10's in the car, but i also like the factory sound too.

so many choices....

Kenwood and Pioneer both make an 8 inch shallow subwoofer - if I get some nice weather in the next few weeks I might look at ordering one or the other. If I do, I will try to make up a mini walkthrough and post pics.

Radio - 9-12 or up to 18-20 if I'm into a drive

Ipod - 6-8 seems louder then what the radio volume is at

Harmon Kardon settings - all the way up :)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Geez.. Mine is usually pinned at 40. I'm only 26, and I'm starting to think my hearing is worse than I thought :redface:

What is your input?

I typically run about 12 for radio at 65 mph, but with the Aux in I'm using about 22. If you're using the Aux input its very heavily dependent on the output level of your source.

If you're listening to CDs at 40, you should probably turn it down to avoid more hearing damage that you already had. Besides max volume = terrible audio quality.

yeah I take back being at 40 all the time. im probably at 20-25 with casual listening, and 35-40 if its a good song. I don't think the volume curve is very linear at all, it seems like once you get above 30, things don't change that much. To be honest, I don't think radio at 40 is to loud at all. CD at 40 could be too loud for some people, depending on the type of music and such.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL On the factory HK system i usually listen to it at around 20 on CD because it sounds better at that level. anything higher is crap. and i always wanna go higher. hell i find the whole volume level fatiguing without clarity and imaging.

wow some of you guys sound nuts (-: i have mine at 6, goes up to 8 on the freeway. +2 or so if i'm rockin out, but more than that and it's way too loud. do you guys have your SRS on? i think that's what it's called. hold down the AUDIO button for a few seconds and it turns it on/off.

Yeah, I'm with theflystyle and Deadzep on this one... radio is between 6-9 and same with oem ipod adapter. Used mp3gain to get ipod and radio to be at the same volume since I'm not a fan of having to change the volume between the two.

• 2 months later...

hmmm

I'm with apexi - I have my HK almost all the way up most of the time, and wouldn't even be able to hear anything below 10, especially on the highway. Since I got the car I wondered if there was something wrong with the volume, and now I am really starting to think so.

Is this a known issue of any kind? Anything to adjust or check? Or a ride to the dealer?

hmmm

I'm with apexi - I have my HK almost all the way up most of the time, and wouldn't even be able to hear anything below 10, especially on the highway. Since I got the car I wondered if there was something wrong with the volume, and now I am really starting to think so.

Is this a known issue of any kind? Anything to adjust or check? Or a ride to the dealer?

Mine is the same way.

The HK system is supposed to have a "speed normalizing" volume command that is automatic and non-adjustable.

I listen to a talk-radio show in the morning (elliot-in-the-morning for those in the DC area), at around 25-28. Anything less and you can't really hear the callers.

Normal music, with the A/C on at 70+mph, is in the low 20 range.

My wife's 09 Impreza with the "premium sound" whatever sounds WAY louder than my Outback.

I intend to live with it until I can convince my wife to let me do a dual-screen setup.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 10 months later...
Anyone ever have any further infor on the low volume HK? I've thought the same thing with mine, as it just doesn't seem that loud, even all the way up. Playing with the fade, when I turn it all the way to the back, I can barely hear anything at all, even all the way up. Not sure what is wrong, if anything, or if this is normal.

it sounds like it might be a faulty unit. i would go to the dealer and have them compare it with another car on their lot and if they can't make yours sound like the one they're selling, i would hope they'd replace the unit.

Archived