LegacyGT.com

Seat mods for tall people?

driving

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and have plenty of head room, I felt really cramped in the legs tho after having the car for a few weeks. I'm used to it now tho, doesn't bother me even on a 9 hour drive.

But I know some people are taller than me, so...

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Yeah I'm 6'4". My head hits roof on bumps. And legs get cramped on long drives. I was thinking of moving stock sub and getting some custom brackets made to move seat down or just a different year seat I could get. Maybe manual brackets are lower? I know I should have just bought a different car but I've always loved the subie sound and legacys style.?

Im 6'4 and found a good spot that works well for me. Which is why I really wish it had memory seats, because my 5'2 wife gets in occasionally and royally messes things up haha.

I dont hit my head or even come close. My complaint is my view through the windshield. Im looking through just below the blue strip. When sitting at traffic lights, I find myself peeking under to check them.

I could stand to be an inch or so lower. But I dont know if its bad enough for me to go changing things. Im hoping to pick up a new driver seat soon, and when Im swapping them out, I might look into it. Maybe Ill experiment with the original seat, since its not worth much. See if there's any room to cut/re-weld the brackets maybe.

If I come up with something Ill surely make a thread!

J.

Got bored, and thought Ide come back with some thoughts/observations.

I recently picked up another seat for my LGT since mine was pretty worn. New seat is nice...but the mounting points where kind of rusty, as was some of the mechanism, and being anal, I decided I would swap my seat tracks with the new seat. Easier said than done.

But, in the process, I got to know the seat track system pretty good. I snapped a few pictures tonight of the track without the cushion or cover. The seat pan is still attached, mainly because its not easy to take off. And I plan to just remove the cushion and cover from my original tracks and leave the pan in place.

Anyway, there doesnt seem to be much in the way of extending the travel. First, all 4 mount points are unique. You MIGHT be able to lower the mount point on a couple, but I dont think you'd get enough for it to be even remotely worth it. Not to mention you'd have to come up with something new at each corner. They are WAY different from each other. See the pics for some crappy shots. They're also already pretty close to the floor. Except for the back corner, but again, even though you could drop that one, the rest couldnt match it.

Also, as far as extending the range of motion, that doesnt look like its going to happen either. You wont get it to sink down towards the floor any more, or have the front of the seat go up or down more. There are lock collars are on the worm drives and I dont want to even think about trying to move em. Plus you'd get minimal extra.

You MIGHT be able to get the seat to go back more. Probably have to drill some new holes in the lower rails, and adjust some stop positions. Again, you wouldnt get that much, and at that point, you'd really be messing with the seat. Ide be worried about wiring stretching or moving beyond what it was designed to. Amoung other things.

Some pics. Nothing ground breaking, but I had it apart, and thought Ide share my thoughts!

J.

WP_20130401_015.thumb.jpg.97e65888b1cf68df86202c4412572f57.jpg

WP_20130401_016.thumb.jpg.a0452cb2351a6b2a951903d1b5693e66.jpg

WP_20130401_018.thumb.jpg.0149e20055379746fe1ac8336c68f9e3.jpg

WP_20130401_017.thumb.jpg.a5cbbed475a932382ec24e113fc5198d.jpg

WP_20130401_012.thumb.jpg.39c6a772f6ad4c36fd41409c8d4d29c8.jpg

6'4" here too.. I hit my head on bumps until I put in a CG-Lock. Pretty much straps you down to the seat base.

I've been thinking of putting in a '11+ STI seat, but haven't been able to find a single one locally. Most people seem to want to sell both front seats as a pair.

425 Motorsports sells Planted brand of seat mounting brackets. I'll be going down next week to have my 2005 LGT used as a test model. With the intent of being able to mount a racing seat in place of my stock seat.

Checked their seat brackets today on an 05 LGT wagon. They have brackets in stock (Impreza, Sti, Legacy - all years) that will give you a common platform upon which to mount any seat. Call Ian @ 425 - 747 - 3777 and he can set you up with everything you need. They carry Recaro, OMP, Sparco, etc seats in stock.

Archived