LegacyGT.com

Replacing my Turbo on Stock 2006 LGT Wagon w/ 160K

So I was just about ready to sell my 2006 LGT Limited Wagon with 160K (mostly highway due to work) when I start to hear a rattle in the exhaust. I wasn't super concerned. It sounded like it was something loose in the catalytic converter just south of the turbo so I found a low mile, used replacement from a shop I know and replaced it. Didn't change anything and then realized the rattle was coming from the turbo itself. It rattles on cold start until the car gets run at speed and it goes away. Then I hear it quickly during shut down. If the car is warm I don't hear it again when I start up. As of now it's been making this noise for about 5 months and the car does not run noticeably different. Boost is still fine. Power is there when I ask for it. Regardless, I've basically come to the realization that I should probably replace the turbo itself.

I'm not looking to upgrade. I am looking to continue my reliable, daily driver relationship with my car. Also, if I am going to spend the time and the money to replace it, I'll probably just drive the car another year since other than this it is in great shape and I have maintained the hell out of it. Plus I still like it! It has been a very solid and reliable car and I drive between San Diego and Orange County quite a bit. Just looking for realistic recommendations. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Welcome to the forum! If it is the turbo, definitely replace it so no damage is done to the engine. Plenty of folks here have replaced the stock turbo with used ones often taken off to be replaced for bigger turbos. Just make sure the used Turbo has no/minimal shaft play and wasn't used too long in a modified state. It is a inexpensive way to hang on to your DD. Check out the classified forums here. I have one with 100K on it that I replaced with a newer one just because! If you don't find any lower mileage vf40s pm me.

Welcome to the forum.

You need to have the car checked out to find what is the problem.

05-06 had a cat inthe up pipe. It has been known to come lose and take out the turbo.

We normally buy a catless up pipe, along with a 3" down pipe.

I went with a vf52 turbo when my vf40 went bad.

If you plan to keep the car the easy way out is a new vf52, up/dp and a Tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks. My mechanic did check it with along me and said it sounded like it was coming from the pump side of the turbo. I live in California and no cat removals here as fun as that sounds. I don't want to change anything emissions related. It won't pass state tests, which just got more ridiculously strict. Gotta love Ca. It can physically be done but it becomes a total hassle.

sounds like you are in the same boat I am. I'm at 213k (see my sig) and I've just replaced my 3rd turbo. I went rebuilt from http://6starspeed.com/. a bit cheaper then buying new and more reliable then buying used.

Kept it stock too. and he gave me $100 for my old core.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Archived