LegacyGT.com

Good replacement baattery for my 2005 LGT?

My original battery is still going strong at 7 1/2 years and 140K miles and I'm not replacing it yet, just getting info so I'll be ready when it does need replacing which could be any time.

I've read a lot here and find mostly tales of fitment problems, quality problems, expensive so-called-premium batteries, etc.

The car manual only says "75D23L (12V-52AH)" for battery specs. What's a good replacement?

I'm very happy with the performance of the stock battery and would like to replace it with one of similar (excellent) quality, same or better specs, and of course that fits perfectly into the space.

Thanks for all the very good replies. How did you ensure a good fit? Did the seller's info provide the right size battery?

just look it up on advance auto or autozone site for battery size for the car. And make sure when you pick it up from the store the negative and positive connections are on the correct side.

Maxx Everstart, from walmart

I do this because whenever it fails I am never far from an all night walmart for free replacement. :) I have found them to work fine and haven't had issues with them in my cars over the years.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

My Outback went just over 8 years. I killed it jump starting the Wife's minivan, which had a battery that shorted internally. Sigh, best oem battery I've ever had...

Replaced with an Autozone, which was replaced exactly 1 year later with another Autozone, replaced exactly 1 year later with a NAPA battery. That's been in there for 5 years now. Weird with the Autozone batteries, but they were good about warranting them. That was supposed to be their 'best' battery. I didn't want to be stuck, and was sick of the short life, so I got the NAPA.

If I'm not mistaken, Group 35 and Group 85 batteries will fit just fine. The Group 35 is a bit taller, but should still fit and will provide a bit more reserve capacity. The Group 85 will fit better but has less reserve capacity.

I can't remember what I got, but I most likely got the Group 35 for the slightly higher reserve capacity. Here are the different sizes in mm, LxWxH. I got mine from Autozone.

75D23L

231 x 171 x 201

group 35

230 x 175 x 225

group 85

230 x 173 x 203

Since the OEM battery seems to be so good, has anyone just gone to a Subaru dealer and had them put one in?

LOL, You must be rich.

I'll bet it would run you close to $200.00 to have the dealer put a battery in your car. I'm sure they would try and sell you something else while they had the car in there.

You can buy a battery from the auto parts store and they will put it in for free. It would be nice to give the kid $5.00 for his effort. Remember he's only makes a 8/9 bucks an hour.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm sure they would try and sell you something else while they had the car in there.

You got that right. At 80K miles, they told me I needed new brakes, pads and rotors all around, that they had road tested and examined the car and determined that. I said "no thank you". I'm now at 140K miles on the original pads and rotors after leaving it to LIC Motorsports in Novato to tell me how my brakes are going each time I'm there.

• Moderators
I'm gonna grab a costco battery when i finally break down and buy a replacement. I think they have the right size for ~$65. For that price I could replace it after 4-5 years and it would still be a steal. I'm sure the batteries are made by one of the big names anyway, haven't done the research on who though and don't really care.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I just put the Kirkland battery in my 05 Wagon. The fitment code was 3 for that battery. It was about a hundred with core charge. The + and - posts were swapped but I was still able to fit it just fine. Car starts like a champ now. In retrospect I should have done this a long time ago, always had lights dimming on low idle and slow starts in cold weather.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. I'm not sure quite where to post this, as I've done some searching but haven't found enough info to help. I have a 04 LGT and my battery died yesterday morning in the ridiculous cold we're having here in central new york. I knew it was going, and this blast of cold nights finally killed it.

I went to Walmart, got the Everstart Maxx 35N and after fighting to get the battery clamp screws off, I finally got the old battery out. However, when I put the new one, the metal screw rods that hold that clamp down over the top of the battery aren't long enough anymore. The new battery seems taller then the original, and the rods won't go down far enough to lock into the piece underneath the battery.

Any suggestions? Should I take the battery back? Try to get longer screws? Any help at all would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Hi guys. I'm not sure quite where to post this, as I've done some searching but haven't found enough info to help. I have a 04 LGT and my battery died yesterday morning in the ridiculous cold we're having here in central new york. I knew it was going, and this blast of cold nights finally killed it.

I went to Walmart, got the Everstart Maxx 35N and after fighting to get the battery clamp screws off, I finally got the old battery out. However, when I put the new one, the metal screw rods that hold that clamp down over the top of the battery aren't long enough anymore. The new battery seems taller then the original, and the rods won't go down far enough to lock into the piece underneath the battery.

Any suggestions? Should I take the battery back? Try to get longer screws? Any help at all would be so appreciated. Thank you!

I guess you missed the lesson that your supposed to replace the battery in the Fall when its still warm out.

I think mine is a 35N, it fit right in. If I remember right. I replaced it in the Oct 09 when it was 5 1/2y/o.

Make sure you grease the terminals to keep moisture out, top and bottom.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived