LegacyGT.com

Hard shift '13 3.6r Legacy

So my legacy did something strange today.

I was coming around a right turn onramp to get on the freeway, and hit full throttle in 2nd while in drive mode.

It started to shift to 3rd and hesitated, then slammed back into gear.

This is the first time this has ever happened.

I drive aggressively and have a lot of WOT pulls, but thought that wasn't a problem for the car.

I'm at 64k, so the power train warranty just expired (Yikes)! I've had the car since 30k. I just changed the ATF like 5k ago with the Subaru idemitsu HP ATF, and did a full 12 quart change.

The only other issue I've noticed (that may not be an issue) is an oscillating shake if I'm at over 50% throttle and let off the throttle abrubtly at higher speeds, like 40-50mph.

I parked it in the garage while hot to check the ATF level, and with it in neutral I'm right in the middle of low/full Hot marks.

I've asked my local dealer once about a reflash of the tranny computer after I discovered the shake issue, and they said they couldn't reproduce it and that there isn't any newer firmware. Not sure if it applies to the 2013.

Appreciate any ideas, or if I should just consider it an anomaly and see if it happens again?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, no TCU reflashes for 2013/14s, last 5EAT reflash across the models was issued in Nov-2012. You likely have it stock.

What the techs could've done is a full TCU reset and 5EAT re-learn procedure via SSMIII. You can do part of it by pulling the battery and draining residual charge, then reconnecting the battery, turning the ignition on (dont start the engine) for about 30 seconds, ignition off, then back on for 15 seconds, then fire her up, let her warm up to warm idle and ATF temp >150F, shift from P through the gears and back to P, then D and drive off.

From the sound of it, your VB solenoids and clutch packs (a wear-tear item, just like a clutch) are going. Some shops can repair them (disassemble, rewind, assemble) but it might be more practical (and sadly $$$) to replace the entire VB. New is ideal, remanufactured ok, used iffy.

I wouldnt drive the car hard with OE semi-synthetic fluid. Its a good fluid but doesnt operate well at the edges of the operating temp range. Monitor your ATF temps too if you drive like this.

Maybe you should consider an aux cooler for the transmission. We did one on our Tribeca even before we were towing anything with it. It has the issue with the occasional shudder during the 2-3 shift but otherwise runs great. I also opted to use Amsoil fluid, but can't say it made any difference it shifts just like it always did.

Hmm, I have had some odd shifting issues every once in awhile. It's usually if you add a ton of throttle then let off then add again, the car doesn't know what gear to pick for a second which results in a hesitation I guess. But I don't think it ever caused the car to slam into gear. I would just keep an eye on it. Usually if it's a mechanical issue it'll be a repetitive result. This sounds like it might be more of the TCU not knowing what to do for a moment.

That shaking you're talking about is actually normal (believe it or not). I've even had my torque converter changed under warranty and it still happens. If you give 50% throttle or so and let off abruptly the car just kinda shakes. I think this is more of just a bushing issue in absorbing the shock properly and causing the car shake shake shake. I have the transmission insert bushing but haven't done the the rear diff one yet. This may help to reduce this. I usually just learn to drive without letting off too quick on the gas unless I need to.

This car has been the most abnormal of any I've ever driven, to be completely honest. Just the way the engine performance is between a varied weather conditions. The transmission has a mind of it's own sometimes, doing what it feels like. If you ever get it tuned, you'll find yourself mostly just driving with the manual controls. Once I get above 50mph I swap to auto so I can enjoy the quicker downshifts but anything else I stick with manual so I don't have to worry about the transmission moving back and forth at slower speeds. Plus it's in such a hurry to get to 2nd gear when you move off from a stop that it prevents you from quickly accelerating out of a turn.

• 2 weeks later...

From the sound of it, your VB solenoids and clutch packs (a wear-tear item, just like a clutch) are going. Some shops can repair them (disassemble, rewind, assemble) but it might be more practical (and sadly $$$) to replace the entire VB. New is ideal, remanufactured ok, used iffy.

I wouldnt drive the car hard with OE semi-synthetic fluid. Its a good fluid but doesnt operate well at the edges of the operating temp range. Monitor your ATF temps too if you drive like this.

Well I hope it's not the clutch packs going out at 65k, it hasn't happened again since. But that would give me an excuse to get the upgraded valve body, yes? :lol:

Maybe you should consider an aux cooler for the transmission. We did one on our Tribeca even before we were towing anything with it.

I'm not sure overheating is the issue, in this case I had only been on the road 5 minutes, and it was the first WOT since driving off.

Hmm, I have had some odd shifting issues every once in awhile. It's usually if you add a ton of throttle then let off then add again, the car doesn't know what gear to pick for a second which results in a hesitation I guess. But I don't think it ever caused the car to slam into gear. I would just keep an eye on it. Usually if it's a mechanical issue it'll be a repetitive result. This sounds like it might be more of the TCU not knowing what to do for a moment.

I really think this is it, it just seemed really confused for a second, then dropped harshly into gear. I haven't noticed any other problems, so It seems nothing is "beginning to fail"

That shaking you're talking about is actually normal (believe it or not). I've even had my torque converter changed under warranty and it still happens. If you give 50% throttle or so and let off abruptly the car just kinda shakes. I think this is more of just a bushing issue in absorbing the shock properly and causing the car shake shake shake. I have the transmission insert bushing but haven't done the the rear diff one yet. This may help to reduce this. I usually just learn to drive without letting off too quick on the gas unless I need to.

This car has been the most abnormal of any I've ever driven, to be completely honest. Just the way the engine performance is between a varied weather conditions. The transmission has a mind of it's own sometimes, doing what it feels like. If you ever get it tuned, you'll find yourself mostly just driving with the manual controls. Once I get above 50mph I swap to auto so I can enjoy the quicker downshifts but anything else I stick with manual so I don't have to worry about the transmission moving back and forth at slower speeds. Plus it's in such a hurry to get to 2nd gear when you move off from a stop that it prevents you from quickly accelerating out of a turn.

Oh man, thank you. You're the first person to confirm the shaking thing. I installed the extra transmission bushing just different things up and it didn't do anything really. Good to know this is just a normal thing, maybe it's the engine mounts?

I have been really wanting to get the transmission tuned. I need Tires Brakes and oil right now, maybe someday.

I'll report back if it happens again, will just consider it a hiccup for now. Thanks for the Info/advice everyone!

My 5EAT '07 LGT and '13 3.6R can get confused at times. More recently the 3.6R likes to slam into 1st gear when slowing down in automatic mode, manual mode no issue. I also usually drive with the traction control off. With that and driving in manual mode that seems to help minimize any hesitation or weird shifts when I really have to get on it.

I've also noticed the transmission acts odd when you first begin driving while the fluid warms up. It's like I said, such a bizarre transmission sometimes. But it never fails to work, just wants to act a fool sometimes :lol:

Ifix, you'll really love the tune whenever you get it. I need to make a video soon I think on this. Maybe tomorrow I will.

Archived