LegacyGT.com

Do I need to change my control arms when I get coilovers?

highwind

So I'm getting the KW V2 for my 09 3.0R. I plan on either doing minimum drop or 1/2'' lower. My question is do I need to change any or all control arms? and if so what brands should I go with? Also I would prefer something that isn't prone to rusting since I live in Canada. I have no clue what my budget is for this stuff since I dont know what the parts cost.

Thanks

So I'm getting the KW V2 for my 09 3.0R. I plan on either doing minimum drop or 1/2'' lower. My question is do I need to change any or all control arms? and if so what brands should I go with? Also I would prefer something that isn't prone to rusting since I live in Canada. I have no clue what my budget is for this stuff since I dont know what the parts cost.

Thanks

If you're only doing a minimal drop you will not need any additional suspension upgrades. What are you exactly trying to remedy by getting new control arms? With only a 1/2" drop, you will barely have any additional negative camber over stock and your toe will be easily able to be within spec. My KW V2s are at their maximum recommended drop as per KW and my alignment is still able to be within spec other than the natural negative camber gained

If you're only doing a minimal drop you will not need any additional suspension upgrades. What are you exactly trying to remedy by getting new control arms? With only a 1/2" drop, you will barely have any additional negative camber over stock and your toe will be easily able to be within spec. My KW V2s are at their maximum recommended drop as per KW and my alignment is still able to be within spec other than the natural negative camber gained

I just figured that with lowering the car it would mess up the wheel geometry. Did you have to get adjustable control arms with going for maximum drop?

I just figured that with lowering the car it would mess up the wheel geometry. Did you have to get adjustable control arms with going for maximum drop?

The only thing I could really recommend is getting the Whiteline Front Roll Centre Adjusters to correct any bump steer. I'm still on completely stock suspension other than the coilovers.

The only thing I could really recommend is getting the Whiteline Front Roll Centre Adjusters to correct any bump steer. I'm still on completely stock suspension other than the coilovers.

Wow thats sweet. And thanks for the info I will look into getting those Front Roll Center Adjusters.

So I'm getting the KW V2 for my 09 3.0R.

I have no clue what my budget is for this stuff since I dont know what the parts cost.

Thanks

I'm getting expensive suspension components and I don't care how much it costs? How much other expensive stuff can I buy, too?

Roll center kit is best used with a 2 inch drop or more. Staying stock height isn't going to have much effect.

If you want full effect of your KW, replace all your OEM suspension bits with new. Either Whiteline or similar. The ride will be much tighter and you'll enjoy the KW much more. Of course, with your no budget approach, you'll be much happier too.

I'm getting expensive suspension components and I don't care how much it costs? How much other expensive stuff can I buy, too?

Roll center kit is best used with a 2 inch drop or more. Staying stock height isn't going to have much effect.

If you want full effect of your KW, replace all your OEM suspension bits with new. Either Whiteline or similar. The ride will be much tighter and you'll enjoy the KW much more. Of course, with your no budget approach, you'll be much happier too.

The reason I dpnt know much about the prices is because im used to buying parts for my 83 Chevy C10 and this is my first import. For now im going to keep the stock control arms to see how it is with those but I'm replacing the control arm bushings to Energy Suspension polyurethane ones.

The reason I dpnt know much about the prices is because im used to buying parts for my 83 Chevy C10 and this is my first import. For now im going to keep the stock control arms to see how it is with those but I'm replacing the control arm bushings to Energy Suspension polyurethane ones.

I changed my front control arm bushings with the Energy suspension ones as well. Front end felt a lot tighter afterwards but my bushings were pretty shot to begin with haha

I changed my front control arm bushings with the Energy suspension ones as well. Front end felt a lot tighter afterwards but my bushings were pretty shot to begin with haha

Ya most of my suspension is pretty shot. It all started with shaky hard braking at the race track, then i discovered most of the suspension is shot. So i looked into doing a Bilstein conversion and then discovered i could do coilovers for a little bit more with way better handling.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like that kit amounts to outer tie rods. I would think a lowered height would entail benefiting from shorter inner tie rods, not that 1/2 inch difference would more than an alignment. I'mnot a mechanic; comments?

1/2" drop does not require a roll center/bump steer kit.

No shorter inner rie rods are not what you need. You dont need ro be a mechanic to know that. It is simple geometry. Arch of travel of lower control arm and tie rod need to be identical for proper geometry on a McPherson strut set up.

The kit includes a lower ball joint and outer tie rod with a longer/different taper than stock to correct the arch when the car is lowered more than 1".

Archived