LegacyGT.com

Differential Oil Change

Been doing some research (not too much info on 13/14) and found that for the 13/14 2.5i:

Front diffs need a T70 Torx Bit. Are there any gaskets I need to replace?

Rear diffs need a 10mm hex bit.

Also any tips? I have a 18in. breaker bar..should this be enough?

Thanks!

Is the front diff still separate on the CVT models? Make sure you aren't draining the CVT by accident.

As for leverage at the rear, if you are at wit's end you can put a jack under the handle of your breaker bar for the rear diff and start jacking (make sure you are left loosey).

Mine were pretty rusted up and they came off pretty easily.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5346324&postcount=12

Here's my write up for the 3.6R. I'm not positive on fill amounts, torque specs and gaskets. The front should be the same but the 3.6 rear is different? You might have to wrestle more with the front drain bolt like I did.

Is this a requirement? I have 62k on mine and haven't changed my diff fluid. I've never owned a car where I needed to do this service.

It is the 60K maintenance and while we can't tell you what to do with your car, you should definitely do it to keep it running well for as long as possible.

Is this a requirement? I have 62k on mine and haven't changed my diff fluid. I've never owned a car where I needed to do this service.

That can't possibly be true...even FWD needs the trans fluid changed regularly which also lubes the diff.

My old '99 Grand Am was sealed, no dipstick anywhere on the transmission.

With automatics, it's sometimes a good idea to leave the fluid in there- as the clutches wear, that friction material ends up suspended in the fluid, and if you flush all that out, you can end up losing a lot of torque-holding capacity. Not the case with a manual transmission or a differential, where all you're lubricating is gears.

That can't possibly be true...even FWD needs the trans fluid changed regularly which also lubes the diff.

Every car my family has owned had never had tranny or differential fluid changed. We never bought a fresh new car, we got them all used. Some ran well 150k+ miles. Never had a tranny or engine go on us.

My LGT is the first car I have ever kept up with the maintenance on.

With automatics, it's sometimes a good idea to leave the fluid in there- as the clutches wear, that friction material ends up suspended in the fluid, and if you flush all that out, you can end up losing a lot of torque-holding capacity. Not the case with a manual transmission or a differential, where all you're lubricating is gears.

Every car my family has owned had never had tranny or differential fluid changed. We never bought a fresh new car, we got them all used. Some ran well 150k+ miles. Never had a tranny or engine go on us.

My LGT is the first car I have ever kept up with the maintenance on.

Just because you don't perform the maintenance doesn't mean it isn't required.

They're out there, hanging out with unicorns and the Loch Ness monster, I'm sure.

I wasn't suggesting that it gets better, just that not replacing it past a certain point might be less worse than replacing it.

What about oil particles plugging tubes, passages, screens, etc.?

Archived