LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor differences?

I need to swap my compressor on my car, a friend of mine has a spare one that is good but im told only 96/7 are the same. What do I need to look for to confirm its the correct one?

I looked at a 99 the other day and it appeared the same as my 96. Was it a wiring difference or was it just a brand or model change that can be interchanged?

what year is the one your friend has?

search for a used AC compressor at http://www.car-part.com

they will return all matching years that work.

if the results include your friends year , it will work.

if not there will be tons to choose from.

if you sort by zip code the ones closest to you will be at the top of the list.

I grabbed my friends 96 legacy a/c compressor and installed it in my 98 and found out that the 96 (possibly 95) uses a smaller hose HI/LO and so it also have a different compressor. It plugs right in but my lines wont go in the 96

I grabbed my friends 96 legacy a/c compressor and installed it in my 98 and found out that the 96 (possibly 95) uses a smaller hose HI/LO and so it also have a different compressor. It plugs right in but my lines wont go in the 96

Thanks, this is something I would not have thought to check.

I did get the one from him and it fits but has a funny noise almost like a quiet rattle at idle when engaged but its intermittent and goes away with any increase in rpm. Sounds like possibly the clutch.

Also not getting as cold as I think it should and does not cycle, it stays engaged. I did not evac the system though so that probably has something to do with temps and efficiency.

Archived