LegacyGT.com

Vehicle stalls out after hard stop

Hi,

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i with CVT. CVT also has manual mode. It has about 72,000 miles on it. When coming to a hard stop, the vehicle will stall and I will have to put it in Park and restart it. Sometimes it even does this with a regular stop. I cleaned out the MAF, throttle body, put in a new air filter, disconnected the battery for an idle relearn, and nothing is getting rid of the issue. No codes, no pending codes, nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No not yet. It was an AstraZeneca fleet vehicle before I bought it. Not sure if they did that but usually they do all scheduled maintenance. My mechanic noticed that it is quiet for a Subaru. I just had an 09 Forester that was really loud and I had to adjust a loose valve. He said it's possible that the valves are tight on this vehicle. Could this be a possible contributor? I'm just hoping and praying that it's not the CVT!

Electronic TB. No IAC :( Think I'm going to see about adjusting valves.

Correct. Anything with modern-day electronic throttle control doesn't have an idle-air control valve. Issues like a weak battery can cause idle issues on an electronic throttle controlled vehicle.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with valve lash. I've never heard of an EJ series needing this so soon. AFAIK, the newer SOHC EJ 2.5's like this use shim/bucket valve lash adjustment. You should get 200K miles out of this. REAL expensive to get it "adjusted". It shouldn't ever be needed, nor is it intended to be adjusted.

Do you get any dash lights when it poops out on you? Are you using a stock type air cleaner element?

I doubt this has anything to do with the CVT if the vehicle runs/performs fine other than the occasional stalling.

Joel

• I Donated
There were many reports of MY2010 2.5i 6MT vehicles stalling out with the AC running on hot days when you put the clutch in. My dad's Outback had the problem. They eventually released an ECU update for the 6MTs that corrected the problem (I believe they changed the DBW throttle mapping, but I could be wrong). There were fewer reports of a similar thing happening on CVTs, but because not as many people complained, SOA didn't do anything about the issue for them. At least, that was true in 2010, when I last looked at the problem. It may have changed. The stalling on the CVT is possibly recall-worthy due to the fact that you have to put it in Park to restart (what if you are in the middle of an intersection?), so I would push with SOA even though you are out of warranty.

• I Donated
I will check the battery and see. It will stall with AC on or off. It idles at 800 rpm's. The 2009 Forester I just sold had 86,000 miles and I had to adjust the valves, I think it only took my mechanic about 2.5 hours to do both sides.

Woah, woah, woah.

1. Why would you need to adjust the valves on a Subaru with only 86,000 miles? I've never heard of any other Subaru needing that, and my family has had several Subarus that got to that mileage or above.

2. How would it take only 2.5 hours? In order to adjust the valves, you need to re-shim them, which involves taking off the valve covers and cams, which is very hard to do without pulling the engine, which takes way more than 2.5 hours.

I think your mechanic took you for a ride.

Electronic TB. No IAC :( Think I'm going to see about adjusting valves.

That's at least a good idea. Someone else had idle problems and it was the valve clearance.

Will it stall if you put the lever in neutral before coming to a stop too? Time to do some experiments. Just do it at reasonably low speeds.

453747.png

Talked to dealer, they said they've heard of this. Said changing CVT fluid fixed the problem.

Did they give you a price on that? Haven't heard of anyone getting it done yet, and the CVT fluid only comes in 5gal pails that I'm aware. Given the price of fancy ATF, it's probably $200 per 5gal bucket.

Given the mileage and fact it was a drug Rep (or pharmaceutical co.) owned vehicle, as little maintenance as possible was done to it. My SIL has been a rep for a major one for years. Their cars get oil changes as best, and no sooner than the max allowable per the manual. Usually longer depending how busy they are. Other than that, only tires, brakes and stuff that breaks. I know she does 45-50K miles per year.

I've been having a similar issue with my 2012, granted it's not to the extent of your problem but I've had few times at the light where I'll roll to a stop and idle fine for about 10-20 seconds then get a quick shudder then back to normal. I can get this to repeat on a normal basis when stopped on a hill here in town that has a 15-20 degree grade to it. Pull up to the light, brake, 15-20 seconds and I'll get a quick hesitation then back to normal idle. On one occasion I got a quick check engine light but never threw a code when checked by the dealer and their explanation was that I was letting the car roll back on the CVT, which I don't but they recommended using the "hill holder" function to prevent that. I tried it, didnt work so now I'm at a loss as to whats up with my car as well. Might be a similar problem so I'll be watching this one.

What about changing the CVT fluid. I think it is supposed to get changed at 75k.

Talked to dealer, they said they've heard of this. Said changing CVT fluid fixed the problem.

:) Yay, I got it right!! Quick, I must tell my wife because she keeps telling me I'm ALWAYS wrong. :lol:

Electric mayhem... I have the same problem. I called SOA they had me take the service tech for a ride. He hooked up the computer and recorded everything as we drove around. They are currently analyzing the data and are supposed to get back to me.

Btw, 2012 6mt here. 2.5i.

Who knows what they will do. Hopefully come up with a flash. It just an annoyance. Still drivable.

Over the past few years, SOA has been mucking with the idle timing, AFR and such for reduced emissions. Maybe they went too far.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried experimenting with popping CVT to neutral while coming to a stop, and observing engine/RPMs response going rapid to an unloaded condition? Work different combinations to figure out loaded/unloaded combos.

Archived