LegacyGT.com

DIY Bucket Seats!!!

...by anyone but FJuan.

Great writeup Blk.

With disconnecting the top/side hooks, the support can slide up and come loose. You should secure it down somehow. I used two rubber bungee cords, LOL.

I'm totally doing this. My right side bolster pad is worn right out.

Regarding the bottom, forget that shit I did with pipe. I did end up using a polyurethane foam mat material that is the same as a yoga mat but a half inch thick. Anyway, same concept as this - you are stuffing between the frame and the bottom of the cushion...

I bought bongee cords and more of the same high density cushions to beef up the bolsters even more. I'm trying it with and without the bongee cord in the mid section that goes across laterally and I was able to sit just a bit deeper into the seat without it. However, I did use two bonged cords as you described to pull the wire frame downwards so it says in place lol. Never thought of using this, thanks! Will post pics after I finish doing the bottom seat bolsters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have this issue where that tiny little button near the pocket of your jeans catches the seat bolster whenever you exit the car? Iv noticed mine catches and its actually starting to cause a little tear on the seat. With that said, Im not sure Id want to make the bolster any larger or that damn Levis button is gonna catch even worse

I just did this. Holy effing crap this might become one of my favorite mods! Especially since it was free. Used an old memory foam mattress pad we no longer had on the bed. Minivan seats be gone!

Blklgt05, you're a freaking genius! Thank you so much for writing this up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I just did this. Holy effing crap this might become one of my favorite mods! Especially since it was free. Used an old memory foam mattress pad we no longer had on the bed. Minivan seats be gone!

Blklgt05, you're a freaking genius! Thank you so much for writing this up.

Glad you liked it! ;)

The bottom is easy. The side plastic cover comes off, then you unhook the two clips on each side and the whole front clip and the cushion lifts up. The seat belt bolt prevents you from removing it entirely, but that's OK.

I had it completely apart once, frame out and all but that's not necessary here.

Brandon I did the bottom seat bolsters, and it definitely made it more comfortable to sit in, but didn't help with containment. And by containment I mean keeping my ass from sliding out like a real bucket seat lol. That part is still limited by the design of the seat, I wonder if there's a way to bolt something on the side of the seat, but it might make it more difficult to exit. I was only able to stuff half the cushions (about 1" thick) and it felt like the leather was about to tear so I didn't over do it. I can understand why you used PVC in the beginning, seems like that would be easier to fit evenly. I doubled up on the side bolsters, so now it secures my mid-section more. Btw, after two weeks driving with this mod, my lower back feels so much better from driving long distance.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/280D7F87-C9F4-4692-B214-E36A9C93D1DF_zpskmf5bzaz.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/blklgt05/8FD3BE2C-AFBD-40D5-9B11-AF4D78212059_zpsvnolxrie.jpg

Also updated the first post's parts+instructions for anyone else reading this. :cool:

Sweet.

Yeah I did mine last night. Used 1 inch thick mattress topper memory foam material and did the back and bottom bolsters as well as a strip across the back of the bottom of the seat. Much better than before. Disconnecting those mid back clips makes a big difference. My seat feels so much more comfortable now.

Regarding bottom seat bolstering, I think the way to go there would be yo buy some steel sheet metal and and pop rivot gun and drill/rivot a taller bolster over the existing one maybe 1 inch would make a big difference. Or perhaps just self tapping screws.

I also got ambitious and peeled the leather half off my arm rest cover, stuffed a piece of that floor mat/yoga-mat-like material in there and pulled the leather back over and glued it, and reinstalled. Looks the same and feels a million bucks better!

On my seat back cushion, there is a hard plastic thing in the bottom left. Its black in color and has something stamped in it. LH for left hand I think. What is that? It digs in to my hip with the new padding So I had to remove some padding there behind that spot.

Oh.. And I took a chunk out of my hand working in there. The edge of the steel framing in the back is like a razor blade.It made a discussing sounding sound when cutting me. Bled like hell but not too deep.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/07e790a367f2ec76897ee2bf78ab25d7.jpg

So...be careful in there.

There are so many sharp bits inside that seat!

I was going to do the bungee cord thing, but my wire support was already attached to the seat back foam with some sort of metal hoops that I couldn't figure out how to remove. (I should have taken pics) Didn't poke around with it too much since I didn't want to tear the foam.

Because of this, I wasn't able to completely remove the metal wire support structure when stuffing the seat. I had to disconnect the lumbar cable hooks then shift around the back wire support. Wasn't a big deal at all, just different than what was shown in the original post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Bootyologist

• 2 weeks later...

Did this today and "Yes" the seats are better (couldn't be worse right?).

I did get stuck at step one though. The "Uncover the bottom flap" part. I ended up cutting the strap securing it to the bottom.

For those not having done this yet, it is one long piece connected, so it may be just put over a support wire under the seat. I couldn't feel how it was connected, so I ended up cutting it.

When I put it back, I made a knot with the two loose ends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I did this about 3 weeks ago and I was waiting to drive enough to review.

A few things:

1) the fabric at the base of the seat is fragile, my hooks mostly tore it out

2) the bolsters do need to be repadded after 2-3 weeks, then it's good

3) the bungis reduced how far I could sit into the seat, I had it both ways with padding n it was better without

Observations: for $10 this mod is amazing. The seats aren't true bucket like a wrx but they provide far more side support, they are softer and actually are are comfortable on long trips.

Everyone with a 5th gen needs to do this

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This is the best DIY mod I hav done in a long time. Make sure to do both drivers and passenger seats. My wife complains less now in the twists and so do I.

Also, don't use your hands to stuff the foam in, use a tool to avoid cutting the heck out of yourself. Next up is seat cushion side bolsters, I know its possible to improve these as well.