LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*twitch* year without cleaning interior, I'd lose my mind. My inner monologue gets abusive after a week

I used to clean mine regularly, till I moved to the desert.......

Basically this. There is a dust layer on the car within a few hours of washing it even if you're very anal about drying everything. Main issue has been lack of space to work and any time I had a moment I had to do mechanical repairs.

I'm not sure what you mean by radiator end cap seals. The plastic tanks on the radiator itself?

Nah this is the first I've actually seen or smelled coolant. Now my car wreaks of coolant lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my first one was leaking between the aluminum and plastic. At some point they just fail. Sorry your still smelling coolant.

Yea once things are stable I'll probably use it as an excuse to get a nice radiator. I'm pretty sure it's about 40-45k miles and it's some weird brand. I tried looking it up but I think maybe it's an oem manufacturer label. Or its a cheap knock off radiator lol.

Maybe I'll make bank in Michigan doing door dash and can get some blingy aluminum radiator.

What a weekend. We ended up having unrestricted media access which meant that, after some off roading where I almost lost my bumper in a dip I thought I could make and a good workout on my skid plate, we stuck to just driving the stages.

Got to drive 5 of the 6 which was pretty cool and the extra height and awd both came in handy. Didn't have any issues with oil or coolant over the drive which was great.

But towards the end I got a check engine. P2096 post cat fuel trim lean. I've checked my learning view and it looks good and I'm not showing any knock. Looks like I'll be pulling my downpipe to take to the muffler shop. No way I'm trying to take out that sensor.

^^ Yes. You'll know right away whether it was done correctly or not. If it's not done right, the fueling target compensation for the aft O2 will still be active and, due to not having the sensor, your car will be targeting an idle/cruise AFR of 13.6-13.8 instead of 14.7.

Oh interesting. I thought it was a mechanical fix. At least that seems to be the case on NASIOC for the WRX running a catless dp. I'd love to save a few bucks for now, I spent it all at the rally. I'll have to look that up since it's apparently not just turn off the CEL.

And you were right about the dust. It's everywhere. Even places it shouldn't be. Like I figured there'd be some but I was not prepared.

The dust. Yes there's a big difference from working the Mt Washington Hill climb to the New England Forrest Rally. Some sections of the Forrest Rally are pretty dusty, others are deep in the woods. Mosquitoes become the issue then...

Mt Washington June 2014,

DSCN6489.thumb.JPG.d095ff742255f564d7f7f25663fdebfc.JPG

Travis, left us a gift

ATTACH]286406[/ATTACH]

Another spot we were stationed at.

DSCN6514.thumb.JPG.276e42433a7e19b1d1a9fcbb8e339810.JPG

Not sure what happened there, but that last picture is what Travis left us.

DSCN6493.thumb.JPG.f5a009089935e7b759d0be2a6df6e59e.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oof mosquitoes. I've forgotten about them. I'm going to try to make it to Lake superior performance rally so I'll try to remember about that.

My favorite problems are ones that fix themselves. After checking all the stuff, I drove home with that CEL, 200ish miles. Well I just got into the car to head to a Dr appointment and no more CEL. I'll check my fuel trims again when I get home this evening and I'll be putting in a new air filter as well. Probably keep this one and try to blow it out when I get a chance.

Everything still feels and sounds fine so here's to hoping things were just overly dusty or overly jostled.

^^ Yes. You'll know right away whether it was done correctly or not. If it's not done right, the fueling target compensation for the aft O2 will still be active and, due to not having the sensor, your car will be targeting an idle/cruise AFR of 13.6-13.8 instead of 14.7.

What do you mean done correctly? I just reflashed the ECU but with all codes concerning the rear O2 sensor turned off.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

What do you mean done correctly? I just reflashed the ECU but with all codes concerning the rear O2 sensor turned off.
You have to add tables specific to either ecuflash or romraider to disable the rear o2 fueling corrections (you zero them out). Just clearing the rear o2 sensor codes doesn't disable the sensor from affecting fuel trims.

See this thread on romraider for more information.

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8131

OK that makes way more sense. I thought that rear one was the one that handled fueling corrections.

In which case, I'd be correct in thinking that if it was acting up, I'd see bad fueling corrections? Might disable it before my move though either way. Just so I don't have a panic attack while towing

Got under the car today to do a number of things. One was to inspect the wiring and connection of the rear o2 sensor. Doesn't look to be damaged or loose after my off road adventures. The CEL will go off on its own after 50-100 miles but then come back. I put the new air filter in and it's off right now. Fuel trims still look fine. If it comes on again I'll just zero out that sensor and be done with it for now. I just hate to mess with Dave's tune.

Also found the rear bolt on the skid plate, which goes into the engine crossmember was pretty loose. This was causing a rattle when the cooling fans when spin up. Makes sense due to the front bolts being in the front crossmember. It was crazy trying to figure out why the fans would come on and I'd hear a rattle in the back of the bay. Hopefully the clears up my false knock.

No major issues post rally other than losing my tow hook cover and my front bumper fitment isn't great now. But not terrible. Looks like I got a small dent on a frame rail from a rock but that's all.

Also put my kartboy end links on the front. Easy. But didn't solve my low speed clunk.

You have to add tables specific to either ecuflash or romraider to disable the rear o2 fueling corrections (you zero them out). Just clearing the rear o2 sensor codes doesn't disable the sensor from affecting fuel trims.

See this thread on romraider for more information.

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8131

Holy jeez. Tried looking this up tonight and it's way over my head. I'll have to look again when I haven't spent the entire day packing stuff. It's not a defined table in my rom.

• 3 weeks later...

c8ad1a760972da6f89025b5ec08eaeb4.jpg

Well it made it. Got to Michigan late last night. It was tough. Lots of driving with an unfortunate detour to Denver. Saw some temp climbing a few times on steep hills and had to do like 30mph up the canyon leaving utah but we made it without issue.

Trailer is still loaded. I'd like to go weigh everything to get an idea of what I was actually pulling. Empty weight is 1900 and like 200 tongue weight. Definitely had a lot of weight, too much likely, on the hitch.

Going from slc to Cheyenne it used nearly a quart of oil. But I also basically drove at 4k rpm and 70% throttle the whole way. Basically after Wyoming it was smooth sailing. No knock, no noises, no oil or coolant usage. I wouldn't suggest it get done regularly, but I made it.