LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Anything wrong with those Canadian JDM ebay listings? Like are those usually a bad idea?

I've good luck with Canadians in general. Full JDM Spec B Suspension, JDM Facelift Spec B front end (w/lip!), Wangan axle backs etc. They pallet shipped the front end so I had to pick it up from the local shipping depot, other than that everything's been good.

I also ended up up buying the front end directly from them, so eBay wouldn't take a cut of the sale, and they gave me some decent discounts on odds & ends.

But yes, a bad idea for your bank account.

Insurance company is going to total yer car after that. part out thread coming soon?

:hide:

Haha, definitely! I spoke with insurance and they have a glass replacement program, so it should be all covered with no change to future costs.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

May have talked myself into kta1214 and aluminum suspension bits. If it was just the conversion to specB parts alone I wouldn't go through the effort. As it is I'm replacing almost every bushing on the car. Having spare parts would reduce down time. Get all bushings installed on arms & links over a few weeks, making the project remove and install.

Anything wrong with those Canadian JDM ebay listings? Like are those usually a bad idea?

Who are you ordering from??? It maybe my local guy

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Trying to pull the rest of the upper dash and center backing out of an 08 and it seems it's somehow still connected on the passenger side. Do the AC vent shrouds on the sides have to come to to access another screw or something. I've already got all the lower stuff glove box, steering column and gauge cluster removed aside from some wiring to the steering column. Last few bits I need out of this car before it's going scrapyard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's incorrect. All Legacy hoods from 05-09 are interchangeable as well as the 05-07 Outbacks. The only hoods that are different are the 08-09 Outbacks.

Thx I knew SOMETHING was not interchangeable! Everyday I get more knowledgeable on this forum;)

Want to get an electric impact before i tackle some brake, suspension and wheel bearings, but what is a good torque to go after? Saw one that has 1,000 ftlbs of breakaway torque, but that seems redic, and would break things. There are a few around 150 and 250, which seems much more reasonable.

What do people have and find useful to break loose bolts?

I'll use a manual torque wrench to put things back on.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Want to get an electric impact before i tackle some brake, suspension and wheel bearings, but what is a good torque to go after? Saw one that has 1,000 ftlbs of breakaway torque, but that seems redic, and would break things. There are a few around 150 and 250, which seems much more reasonable.

What do people have and find useful to break loose bolts?

I'll use a manual torque wrench to put things back on.

I have a Kobalt 1/2" and 3/8" set that I really like from lowes. They're solid and have been able to break free every bolt on my PNW cars. I actually prefer the 3/8" drive gun for pretty much all jobs except axle nuts, etc.

Get the 1000 ft-lb breakway wrench, whatever brand. You'll thank yourself later if you end up needing to pull anything that wasn't installed within the last year. I started with a 300 ft-lb Rigid wrench and used that for a while, but often found it lacking when doing anything but the routine lug nut removals etc.

Good batteries are important too. Nothing more annoying than being halfway through a job and having a battery overheat (not discharge), and have to wait for it to cool down before proceeding.

The milwaukee stubby impact 3/8...best bang for the buck if you get a 4.0 or 6.0 Ahr battery. It will do lug nuts no problem (if they are torqued to 90ftlbs). It is good for 90% of what you need on the car and gets in all kinds of tight spaces. More useful than some big ol nut busting impact. Like awfulwaffle said battery is important an honestly milwaukee makes some of the best right now (for the price). There are cons to some of their tools but the battery system is hands down the best.

**Word to the wise..don't read into an impact guns 'nut busting break away torque' rating. It is all false marketing BS. 1000ft lb break away torque is more like, maybe 200-300ft lb realistically.

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

So... I fixed my squealing front brakes by un-seizing my caliper pins a few weeks ago. They're squealing again. I'm thinking replace the pins and boots. What is a good lube to use?

Scotty

new pins are a great option. Get rid of the rubber bushing on the tip of the one slider pin (it only causes trouble). Permatex Ceramic Extreme (purple) 24125. Buy oe boots (oe rubber is better). You can get OE rebuild kits for cheap, and they come with the appropriate lube.

Edited by jaylew

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

So... I fixed my squealing front brakes by un-seizing my caliper pins a few weeks ago. They're squealing again. I'm thinking replace the pins and boots. What is a good lube to use?

Scotty

Ceramlube is the best stuff I've used. You can use it for clutch components as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSF96HJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kUQnFbQ209NYN

It's OK to cry for your wallet if you need to

Quite the opposite - more like party time. All purchases budgeted and approved!

Global JDM Auto Parts. Good parts, good prices. Def worth a look/call/email before getting something shipping from Japan.

I used ebay and bought from a seller called jdmracingparts. Super close in name, and looks like right around the corner from Global JDM. I offered $400 for rear trailing arms and upper links, offer was accepted. Will see if I regret this direction.

Quite the opposite - more like party time. All purchases budgeted and approved!

I used ebay and bought from a seller called jdmracingparts. Super close in name, and looks like right around the corner from Global JDM. I offered $400 for rear trailing arms and upper links, offer was accepted. Will see if I regret this direction.

I think that is who I ordered my tailights from and I believe it was actual Japan Direct Japanese. I ended up paying less (and free shipping) on eBay than from their store website, not sure how they can make money doing that unless their markup is 200%.

EDIT: I also took my 2005 on a 350 km road trip yesterday, all was good but that heat shield rattle...hooollyyy that is annoying. Time for some cutting or aftermarket headers, and up pipe, and down pipe and...

Edited by lagwagon
Fun

Are responsible adults who make sane decisions allowed here?

Naw just ballers. Straight up big ballerz. Doctor ballers, insurance ballers, professor ballers, accountant and financial analyst ballers. Sr financial analyst bawlerz in fact.