LegacyGT.com

What could this sounds be?

I have a weird sound that I am fairly certain is coming from the rear (possibly from the rear left).

I haven't had time this week to jack up the car so I don't know what it could be.

The sound is what I can best describe as the sound a lightsaber makes.

The sound only occurs for a brief second.

Usually it occurs when I start moving from 0-20MPH. Sometimes it happens while I'm moving.

The car stops just fine so I don't think it's brake related.

I could be a wheel bearing, but 1. it doesn't sound like any bad when bearing I've ever heard and 2. the car only has 38K miles on it. way too early for a wheel bearing to give out.

I am hoping its not rear diff related as I don't know much of anything about that.

Anyway, let me hear your opinions. Ill try to jack my car up this weekend to get a better diagnosis. Providing its not still raining :spin:

So the plot thickens actually

What I initially thought was a rotating noise is actually something else.

I think It might actually be one of the fuel pumps.

https://imgur.com/xHkWlpT

Here's a video of the noise with my rear seat removed and the pumps exposed.

The noise sounds different with the seat in place and cant be picked up by the camera.

I noticed the noise happened by itself after I had parked the car and left it for a minute or two to check my mail.

I started it up and heard the noise while not moving at all.

This lead me to think that it could be fuel system related.

I then removed the seat where I could replicate the sound even louder now. I removed the fuel pump covers and again it was louder. In fact it was so loud that I could now hear the sound by just revving the engine.

The only thing that gives me doubt about it is after having done some research on what bad fuel pumps sound like, I realized that mine doesn't sound like that.

Most of the videos I've seen are a loud whining sound.

but my sound is more of a hum for a brief moment followed by a click.

What could be causing this?

Should be easy enough to confirm or rule out heat shields or a sound originating from the muffler. I'd get the car up on stands, and have someone rev it a few times while you listen underneath.

FWIW, my Impreza 2.5i made a similar noise when winding down, with two distinct rattles as well (though the duration was longer). Fix there ended up being a hose clamp around the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, with the two rattles likely being the culprit heat shield transitioning through two resonant frequencies as the motor wound down.

I'm betting heat shield. I had one like that and replaced it.. They crack. OP it would help if you finish up your profile so we at least get an idea where this car is and what kid of weather it's contending with.

Sorry about that. I have now updated it

Archived