LegacyGT.com

Software Update

I’m a lurker on Outback forums... there is a software update that moves Start Stop to the car settings screen (just under auto hold) and allows full screen portrait use of Apple Car Play.

Looks like you have to go to dealer to have installed. But there is some talk about a cost for this (!?!?). It’s not clear whether this will be a user installable update via wifi.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a lurker on Outback forums... there is a software update that moves Start Stop to the car settings screen (just under auto hold) and allows full screen portrait use of Apple Car Play.

Looks like you have to go to dealer to have installed. But there is some talk about a cost for this (!?!?). It’s not clear whether this will be a user installable update via wifi.

Yes the new software, believe it’s 504, is out. The dealer response that’s been posted has varied. Some have had no problem getting appointments to have it updated, others said the dealer wasn’t aware of it, some said they were told that the service departments don’t do an update unless a problem has been reported, and at least one was told it would cost $125. My suggestion is to make a service appointment for a rebooting head unit and tell them you’re aware of a software update that may fix this. My wife has an Onyx Outback purchased in January and she’s run into essentially every software issue that’s been reported in the forums.

Unfortunately she just had the car in for it’s first service and was told the software was up to date, this was before the release of 504. We’re going to wait until the end of July or first of August, by then most dealers should be up to date on the new software, and she will make an appointment based on a spontaneous rebooting head unit. She has seen that happen but only once fortunately. The new software does give full screen Apple Car Play, as well as moving the stop/start button to a more convenient location.

From the discussions I’ve seen there are no over the air/wifi updates currently. Speculation is that whatever will be offered that way would not be a full update. As to the cost, I think dealers are still getting coordinated on the process. That’s why I suggested making an appointment to check, rebooting, loss of audio, or any other glitch you may have experienced, even if you haven’t experienced any many others have and they are well known. Just mention that you’re aware of an update that may resolve it. That way it’s clear that it’s a warranty service. My wife has seen quite a few but her service a week ago shows 502 as the software at that point. But now that 504 is available we will wait a few weeks and then schedule an appointment.

I’ve got >4000 on my Legacy, I’ll probably ask for it during my 6k service in a couple of months.

If the updates are too large to do over wifi I wonder why they can’t do via USB drive? I’ve already installed the Jan 2020 map update using the USB process in my car.

I don't think they are too large to do over WiFi but too new. Until Subaru has lots of experience at the dealerships doing updates without issues they won't release it to the rest of us. It's one thing if a service tech bricks the car, it's quite another if you do it yourself. It may trigger a lemon law for some.

Yes, its best to have the dealers do this. Some units have not fared well and the dealers have had to replace them. I believe at some point they can be downloaded onto a usb stick and installed on the unit but if the proper procedure is not followed there could be a big problem. Most are going to have regular service performed about twice a year and can have them check available updates then. This particular one I would make an effort to do as soon as possible as there have been multiple reports of significant issues, I know my wife has run into most of them. Unfortunately she just had her regular 6000 service before it came out so will have to schedule another appointment soon.

I'm away from my Legacy for a couple of weeks but I've carefully read the thread on the Outback forum and I've successfully (I think!) copied the required 4 files to an NTFS-formatted USB drive.

The dealers are bricking the head units more than the people doing the update themselves, which is why I'm going to do it myself.

Had mine updated today...only slightly more responsive, but who wouldn't notice an upgrade from something that felt like Windows 95

I’m assuming your dealer did the update. Did they have any issue in doing it, were they aware of it or did you have to inform them?

Looks like mine is on 503 and fortunately with issues. That said, I didn’t take delivery of my XT until end of March 2020. It still has less than 1,300 miles on it. I’ll be curious to see if there’s any difference once it’s updated.

Driving around this evening listening to my iPod and I noticed they gave up on the music mountain icon and it now shows the song/artist artwork. Same for satellite radio.

I had mine updated this week by the dealer and i made a point to tell them it had to be 504. Hopefully this fixes my bluetooth issues. Glad the artwork is on all the time and the start/stop is easier to turn off, although mine is much better after the engine has broken in some.

I can confirm that the update files posted by chvvkumar on the Outback forum (https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/2020-outback-software-gigathread.517684/page-35#post-5983591)

Worked with no issue on my mid-trim Legacy. BE AWARE, if you update a mid trim Legacy or Outback, everyone has been receiving an error message at the end of the update, when to progress bar is completed. You may disregard and follow the TSB's steps.

Once the car is restarted and the screen reboots, everything is properly installed and updated. Being capable of turning off Auto start/stop in 2 clicks alone is worth the update. In my opinion, there is not much of a reason to have your dealer update the car, or worse to pay for your dealer to update it.

You'd have to be really bad to brick your unit. Just my two cents.

I just did the update on mine and it went great. Just follow the step in the PDF file. Thanks a lot for the update. I did not want to wait for the next service. have 7,800 miles on mine.

I just did it on mine as well, no issues.

http://www.jmaigroup.com/_images/radio/installing.jpg

http://www.jmaigroup.com/_images/radio/postinstall.jpg

http://www.jmaigroup.com/_images/radio/carplay1.jpg

http://www.jmaigroup.com/_images/radio/carplay2.jpg

Wiped USB drive (I used a USB 3.0 128GB drive), copied over the 4 files.

Took less then 20 minutes going by the book, although based on what I've read this will vary greatly on what USB stick you're using.

Edited by gibjer

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

Had my Legacy Touring XT updated with the 504 software update. What a huge difference:

1. was told this one update covers everything talked about...

a. Car play is larger - whole screen

b. Start/stop button moved and is more accessible

c. Screen is quicker and no freezing (I hope)

d. This could be my imagination, but the sounds from the radio sounds better

Addendum: Today, using my built in Nav unit the Arrow, which I like to always be pointed in the direction I am driving, finally stayed! In the past, I had to fix this every time I went in the car. Not any more. And the sound actually is better...I had to lower the bass adjustment for the first time. Go to torquenews.com and everything is reviewed. Edited by Famduke
Added information

Had my Legacy Touring XT updated with the 504 software update. What a huge difference:

1. was told this one update covers everything talked about...

a. Car play is larger - whole screen

b. Start/stop button moved and is more accessible

c. Screen is quicker and no freezing (I hope)

d. This could be my imagination, but the sounds from the radio sounds better

I don't think it's your imagination. my music sounds better and more crisp at higher volumes after the update. Now i'm definitely thinking about buying the Rockford Fosgate upgrade

I have the Turbo XT Touring which has the Harmon Kardon speakers. I read where you can’t get the Rockford Fosgate upgrade for that one.

Does anyone know if there is a lighted door sill update. The lighted SUbaru words look good. I called Subaru and they said there isn’t one for my car and NO where is it on line for the 2020. Also, thought about getting the foot well lights but it seems too expensive and I keep seeing only white, not blue.