LegacyGT.com

05' Legacy GT wagon

lodator

Looking to buy my first Subaru, came across a Brilliant Silver wagon that has 82k on it and I got him down to $8100. I took it for a test drive, feels pretty solid. Definitely a quick car, especially for a wagon. Needs new brake pads, but other than that it's clean. I guess he has been driving it back and forth to work, but for nothing else, because it seems like no one ever sat inside the car besides him. I plan on doing the timing belt myself sometime in the next 5k miles or so.

I was just wondering what I should be looking for. He kept up with oil changes, did transmission fluid flush, and recently bought new tires for it. The only thing done to it was a drop in K&N and had a shop HID's because he can't see for shit at night. He's a bit older, maybe 50-ish. He said he has been the only owner since he bought it new. Itis a NE car, but I looked around, underneath, and throughout the suspension...no rust.

I guess I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I am a VW guy, sold my VR6t not too long ago, and have always been fascinated by Subarus.

Welcome to the site and glad you could join us. I'm partial to the wagons and have had my 05 since new. Yours sounds solid enough and the price is certainly decent, especially for the wagon. GL with it and again, welcome
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Why change the timing belt 23k miles before its due. If its a 5speed with that mileage that price is very good. Unless it is pretty beat up.

After a few days of thinking about it, I probably won't do it that soon. Maybe around 100k or so. The car is in pretty good condition, interior is immaculate, no damage to the outside. It's actually an automatic, which unfortunately is what I need because the car is for my wife.

Congrats! You want to find a thread somewhere here on reliability stuff recommended for 05-06 GTs, the first thing to look into is to change out catted up pipe to catless one from 07+ or used STI. While doing that may want to check turbo for shaft play.

Another thing for NE car is to check on oil drain tube that goes from block to oil cooler (where oil filter bolts on) - check it for rust, you dont want that tube to leak. You can see it from the top between the radiator and engine, on passenger side of the engine block.

good luck and welcome to the forum!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I forgot how much I hate working on cars sometimes...I did the banjo bolt today (the one off the oil feed line). My hands and arms are a bit cut up. Filter was relatively clean, probably about 33% clogged, but after 82k miles I think that it probably ok. I ended up taking it out completely.

I looked in to the up pipe issue, I may get a new one down the line eventually, not sure if I feel like tackling that right now...haha.

Drive it at highway speeds and listen for a bad wheel bearing(s) in the rear. A loud hum or droning noise is indicative of a problem. SOA should stand behind the repairs until 100000 miles regardless of age.

I have a feeling that one (or more) of the wheel bearings might be on their way out. At highway speeds I don't hear a hum or anything, but I hear a noise that sounds like maybe a set of snow tires or something...even like a rock is stuck in the tread.....can't describe it, like a whiirrr sound I guess. Going to jack up the car and shake and spin the wheels to see if I can figure it out.

same thing here. Switched to new tires (winter set 1 season old), got the alignment done and the hum noise is unbearable coming from front. I think those are bearing. Two different sets of tires, alignment done, car is not pulling left or right. This only leaves bearings imo. Hate to do it but at least FBP offers 10% for Black Friday deals on all OEM parts.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Welcome and good luck with your lgt wagon! I am sure the car will serve you well as mine sure has. Not to alarm you but you need to know this... If you replace your tires and wheel bearing and still have that noise (as i did and i am formal bmw mechanic) then your problem may be else where. Note: this is if you do not have a automatic transmission and you have a 5spd manual. Some of our 5mts sometime have bearing problems in the center diff that i located in the part back of the transmission. The good news is that It is not extremely hard to replace by a mechanic (some people even attempt it themselves but i dont recommend it unless you are very mechanically inclined and work on cars often) you will need a bearing press among other things. Parts are not too expensive thankfully and i think i paid about $150-160 at Subaru. Labor is 6 hrs if i remember right (didn't take me that long though maybe 4hr) I replaced the bearings and like magic the noise is gone. If you are in any in doubt as to what the noise is i recommend taking it to the dealer and see if they know. Chances are if it is that transmission noise vs a wheel-bearing or tires they will know. Here is a link to the center diff bearing diy thread good luck! http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-2-5gt-center-differential-bearing-swap-204445.html?t=204445&highlight=rear+center+diff BTW i changed my timing belt water pump (get the gates kit or dealer) at 92k and i was sure glad it did. Belt was starting to get a deep grove in the center. I could have probably made it to 105 but why risk a engine that cost so much to save a few miles! lol

Thanks for the advice. It's actually an automatic, probably should have mentioned that. Once I get a chance to shake down the front end and see if the bearings are the culprit I will get to work. The car drives perfectly straight otherwise and doesn't have any vibrations.

Archived