LegacyGT.com

STI Short Throw Shifter Review

kanoswrx

Well I just had the STI STS installed in my Legacy GT LM today. I drove about 600 miles on the stock shifter just so you all know. Anyways some of the things I noticed and didn't like about the stock shifter were. 1. The shifter shaked a lot, like wobbled back and forth, side to side. I know some other people here were complaining about that too. 2. The shifts were to long and soft for my liking, I needed more feedback as I found myself gringing gears when shifting. something that happend very rarely in the 2 years driving my WRX happened more times in 600 miles driving the legacy. So after getting in the car after the install I noticed the difference right away, shifts were much shorter. It was much more persice and solid feeling, like the way it should have been from the factory, not all wobbly and soft. It no longer shakes like it did before either :) So overall I would give it a 92%, its a little notchier but I can live with that. So anyone that was thinking about getting this and wants a more sporty drive, deffinetly get this. If you think the stock one is fine, and like the luxury more then the sport of the car, then you might want to stick with the stock one.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hmm- the STi shifter is actually a replacement of the linkage, right? Is there an advantage to this as opposed to the Kartboy method of replacing the shift lever and shift bushings?

I have felt the kartboy shifter in the WRX compared to my STI STS in my old WRX I don't think thier is to much difference. The STI piece does feel a little more solid, but I don't think my friend had the shifter bushings for the kartboy. I would say if you don't want to install one yourself just get the STI installed at the dealer and have it financed in if you can with your loan. Or just pay them outright, cost 330 installed for everything at the dealer. Not to bad. I am guessing you could get the Kartboy and bushings for around 75-100 bucks, its cheaper yes, but I like STI parts and its covered under warranty by Subaru, not that I would excpect a shifter to break :) One last thing, who moved this to Bling/Bling forum, this isn't a shift knob its a functional performance piece. It reduces shift length making it faster to shift, which means faster times, every 10th or maybe 100th in this case counts :) I would appreciate it if it was moved back so people thinking about buying one can find it easier.

After driving around some more today I have become even more happy with this STS, it lost some of the notchy feel and just feels perfect now. Gotta be one of the best shifters I have ever used before. I change my mind about giving it a 92% its easily a 97% now :)

Ask for your old one back so you can take the car back to stock when needed. Later when you sell the car or trade it you can sell the STi shifter or use it in your next Legacy. Aftermarket parts have little to no value when you trade in and most people buying used cars want them to be completely stock. The same advice would apply to any stock parts...keep them for when you move on to your next car. Tom

Ask for your old one back so you can take the car back to stock when needed. Later when you sell the car or trade it you can sell the STi shifter or use it in your next Legacy. Aftermarket parts have little to no value when you trade in and most people buying used cars want them to be completely stock. The same advice would apply to any stock parts...keep them for when you move on to your next car. Tom

Archived