LegacyGT.com

Process West WRX Verticooler installation

I measured exactly the same way you did, so it looks like there is about an inch to make up. It would be a relatively easy fix for PW to make an intake that would work for us.

intake == charge pipe extension?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured exactly the same way you did, so it looks like there is about an inch to make up. It would be a relatively easy fix for PW to make an intake that would work for us.

Probably, but it'd be prohibitively expensive in that low of a quantity (fewer parts to spread the tooling cost over), and they'd have to displace something else in the production schedule to make it. If the Perrin coupler works perfectly with both the modified stock and RacerX charge pipes, that's probably the best and cheapest solution. Could also get a longer straight coupler for the center section, but that'll probably start to push almost any BPV into the ABS block, not just the Synapse.

Today I ran my first datalog after the intercooler. I have a V dyno below comparing before and after on the same tune. Things are a bit more jerky on the power curve now(I am guessing the tune is not quite sure about the new airflow etc.), but power and tq are basically the same. What I did find interesting is that power seems to come up at high rpm with the intercooler where it dropped pretty steady before. I am guessing before the temps got too high at the higher rpm's and timing had to retard. Should be real interesting when the first revision comes back.

On a side note it looks like I am going to do a test fit of the racer x thanks to minuccims. I will post info on that soon.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah113/BBPeik/comparison_zpstvbsrcxr.jpg

^^^ I am sure you are right. I was having trouble getting my thoughts into words, but you nailed it. The data on the PW also shows a vast difference over stock once the rpm gets up there with intake temps. Stock just keeps climbing. The pressure drop is the huge difference though, you are right on that. Very interested to see where this goes, especially once it is mated to the racer x.

Glad you ended up trying this out! I was actually going to see if my buddy would let me test fit his PW verticooler for his 16wrx and see how off the charge pipe would be. It looks great, improvements seem to be pretty solid too!

So I spent some time installing the Racer X today. Now I am not going to lie, it was a real tight squeeze. Overall though it fit great. I think the only real mod as opposed to the stock TMIC would be that all of the silicone hoses need to be set at the farthest possible extension. You end up needing to squeeze another 1" out of teh combined hoses. After a few test fits I got it figured out. The BPV fit fine and did not interfere with the ABs at all. It was close though. I fired it up and it ran fine with no vac leaks. I have not driven it yet, too hot. I will test drive it tomorrow, but I think all will be fine. Tuning will begin this week and then we can really see all the possible benefits of teh PW verticooler. Thanks again Minucimms.

20160703_143135.thumb.jpg.3f520202d688354baf99142931a28d55.jpg

The Rx was a tight fit to begin with. Great job getting this on and ready for tuning. One of the hoses blew off when Bren was tuning the car. Once it was set, never had any couplers come off.

So tomorrow I will be sending my first Datalogs into Bren after the intercooler/ charge pipe install. Also I had to make a slight mod to the CP today. I noticed that it would occasionally barely touch one of the brake lines on the abs unit, causing an annoying rattle. I just tweaked the charge pipe down a bit so that the BPV was not quite so close to the ABS lines. So for anyone else that tries this keep that in mind.

Funny you should ask. Just ran my first logs after the first revision. Things are much better. HP is up a bit and TQ is way higher. Boost is up a bit too. You can see from the vdyno comparison below that the power is way smoother too. Overall it feels much better and power feels great all the way to 7k rpm. I am sure this is in large part due to the cams, but the IC and Cp have made a huge difference. And I swear minuccims I will get the PW IC shipped. It has been a crazy week, Sorry

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah113/BBPeik/Untitled_zpshshzgmzf.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So finally installed my latest revision and ran some logs to send to Bren. Not as happy with this tune as I was the previous, but I am sure all the kinks will get worked out. HP is up on this run and TQ is up towards redline, but lower elsewhere. Curious to see what changes will be on my next revision. One interesting thing is how power keeps climbing right to the limiter and boost stays level right to the limiter as well.

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah113/BBPeik/20g%20rev2_zpsdtupblyd.jpg

Just talked to Bren. He is pretty happy with the results. I am sure they look better on accesstuner pro than on V Dyno. I am going to drive for a week and get him another log, but looks like my motor is about finished with tuning. Figuring a 15% driveline drop in power I would guess about 400/400 at the flywheel. Maybe less, who knows. Not bad for 91 octane and a very calm streetable car. All I really know is that it hauls butt. Thanks for following. Edited by BBPeik

Looking good! Drive-train loss on a modern 6MT Scoobie is ~19-20%.

AT and CVT are in the ballpark of ~30%.

In Virtual dyno, make sure you have the frontal area as close as possible to the 5th gen dimensions.

I spent a few days gathering all that info years ago, I'll dig it up and share.