LegacyGT.com

Getting frozen toe adjusters unfrozen?

I tried to get my former salt car aligned at Firestone today and they could not break free the tie rod adjusters and rear toe adjusters.

They told me that my best bet would be to take it to a body shop to get the bolts and/or nuts tie rods cut/ground off.

Now, I come from the old old car school and worked with a lot of rusty stuff from the 60's.

I've always been able to use the magic wrench (map gas and pb blaster) to get just about anything loose.

What do you guys think? Body shop, or who else should I hit up to help me get the old rusty parts off (and new ones put on)?

The guy that's been working on my car [in Nashville] is closed today, but I'll call him in the morning to see if he's interested in giving it a go. I have to take my car back to him anyways to get the front Brembo's put on after getting new wheels (that will clear) and tires.

You can try using aerokroil or a 50-50 mix of atf and acetone.

Most people just cut the bolts with a reciprocating saw and by new bolts since they're relatively cheap.

I put antiseize on the portion of the bolt that freezes with decent results when re-installing (but I don't live in a salt state).

I just took apart a very rust free 06 and the rear toe adjusters were frozen solid inside the bushings. The bushing sleeve ripped and started free spinning, there was no way to get it out. I had to hack them out. So best of luck back there.

Fronts may be broken free with heat... Lots of heat... You have a better chance at getting those than the rears I think.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I used a multi tool with a carbide blade for the rear toe. Just under 2 hrs to cut the bolts and remove everything.

For the front, as mentioned, use heat. Also consider having a pipe wrench nearby and make sure the jam nuts have been loosened.