LegacyGT.com

Engine needs a re-seal according to dealer???

Hi all.

I hope everyone is well during these crazy times. I need some opinions at this time about my 2013 Legacy 2.5i with 88k miles. I've noticed a very gradual leak on my driveway over the course of a few months, of what appears to be oil. Back in December of 2019 I had an oil change done at a Subaru dealership (same one I visited to get the car checked today) and it went fine. I went to the Subaru dealer and had them check for an oil leak today, and they said that my whole engine needs to be re-sealed since the old seal has supposedly worn off. I have also noticed a bit of a smell when I turn my car off (some type of fluid burning or something), but I figured it was normal. The dealer asked if I smelled something burning when I get out of the car, and I said yes. The dealer said it'll cost $2,800 to get the engine re-sealed, and I said I'll wait (and get it checked tomorrow by my own mechanic). I have not seen anything leaking in the engine bay with my own eyes...

RECIEPT SAYS: "Oil is leaking from cam carriers, valve covers, and bank 1 headgasket. Recommend complete engine reseal $2,800. Oil is leaking onto the exhaust and causing a burning odor".

The guy at the dealership even said "The seal on these cars don't usually go past 100k miles". Any opinions on the matter? This car has been kept like a baby. I have no clue how the hell it can run so smooth, but need a $2,800 repair?! I included a picture of the leak on my driveway, and I also included a picture of the receipt that the dealer gave me. Thanks for your time!

20200404_152801_resized_1.thumb.jpg.9d43f8d51396bac70aaf04ff148688bc.jpg

20200406_162533_resized.thumb.jpg.666736a8d260dc56251c87f6f98f3363.jpg

Edited by Alexmed2002

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd believe their diagnosis, but not their repair method. Sounds to me like you just need valve cover gaskets.

The "complete engine reseal" likely involves pulling the engine, resealing the timing cover, replacing valve cover gaskets, and maybe even head gaskets (or more) based on their comment. I'd definitely get a second opinion.

I'd believe their diagnosis, but not their repair method. Sounds to me like you just need valve cover gaskets.

The "complete engine reseal" likely involves pulling the engine, resealing the timing cover, replacing valve cover gaskets, and maybe even head gaskets (or more) based on their comment. I'd definitely get a second opinion.

Yah I had the same reaction. I somewhat agree with the diagnosis, but I am going to my personal mechanic tomorrow morning to get his opinion, as he's done work on my family's vehicles for many years now. Before my mother gave me this car with 82k miles, I had a Dodge pickup truck and it started to get issues like this car has now. I dumped that truck and essentially broke even. I don't know, maybe I should consider selling this car if the repair is going to be expensive...

Oil leaks are tricky sometimes, it gets everywhere when driving.

Did they actually clean it up an verify where the leak is? Or say it's wet on these items, so all those gaskets are bad. And if you're doing one head gasket may as well do the other since the engine is out.

In addition to your personal mechanic I would also run it by some independent Subaru repair shops. The repair bill should come up less than $2,800. People on this forum can give you a recommendation or just search Google.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Oil leaks are tricky sometimes, it gets everywhere when driving.

Did they actually clean it up an verify where the leak is? Or say it's wet on these items, so all those gaskets are bad. And if you're doing one head gasket may as well do the other since the engine is out.

They told me the seal is wearing off, so oil is apparently leaking in a few spots (according to the dealer) and onto the exhaust... really not 100% on it. I'll see what my mechanic says tomorrow. Hoping it's not bad :eek:

Doesnt sound too expensive given it's a timing chain motor. If the headgasket is leaking, then it's only right to replace other seals and gaskets along the way. I'd advise you to have the chain, tensioner and guides replaced while they are in there. Edited by 08SpecB_DE
Added last sentence

I would want to see it for myself before dropping $2k+ or getting rid of a car.

So many times I've heard this is leaking, go look and it's barely wet/seeping. Now don't get me wrong, there is an obvious leak. But it's getting cleaned and running on the rack, possibly with dye, so I can see where it's coming from.

Maybe this is common on these engines and really does need it all on one side. Not denying that, but I'm pessimistic until proven otherwise.

The whole seal wearing off, don't know if I buy it. I'm also newer to Subaru, wife has 14 Forester 105k and my GT with almost 80k. I have plenty to learn. But advisors will say what they want to sell a job. Or I'm being a crab ass, time will tell, lol.

Edited by MarcoLGT

RECIEPT SAYS: "Oil is leaking from cam carriers, valve covers, and bank 1 headgasket. Recommend complete engine reseal $2,800. Oil is leaking onto the exhaust and causing a burning odor".

All of those are possible leaks, but I would put my money on the valve cover actually leaking and leaving spots on your driveway/exhaust. Those seals harden over time due to the heating and cooling cycles in the engine compartment. Then they aren't malleable anymore and the vibrating of the car shakes them from their seal. It's a pretty easy job and you only need basic tools to get the job done... just saying.:)

Run your fingers on the lower corner of the valve covers (both sides) closest to the firewall and see if you find some oil wetness there.

There are seeps and there are leaks, I only repair leaks.

Good luck!

All of those are possible leaks, but I would put my money on the valve cover actually leaking and leaving spots on your driveway/exhaust. Those seals harden over time due to the heating and cooling cycles in the engine compartment. Then they aren't malleable anymore and the vibrating of the car shakes them from their seal. It's a pretty easy job and you only need basic tools to get the job done... just saying.:)

Run your fingers on the lower corner of the valve covers (both sides) closest to the firewall and see if you find some oil wetness there.

There are seeps and there are leaks, I only repair leaks.

Good luck!

Sadly my mechanic agreed with the dealership's assessment :icon_sad:. He thinks that it's head gasket related (with the silicone seal or something). I'm gonna try to sell my car before the engine craps itself. It only just hit 88,800 miles too... oh well. You live and you learn.

Edited by Alexmed2002

I'd actually put money on the rear main seal and/or cam seals/crank seal leaking before the head gasket. But either way, both of those entail pulling the motor or transmission.

Which would give the dealership some credibility. These are all normal things that would be done during a timing belt job or something along those lines in a major service interval at your mileage.

The engine won't crap itself. It'll just have a leaky butthole, so long as you make sure the oil is topped off it would run fine. But oil leaks are annoying in themselves.

I had the same issue with my 2014 at 65K Miles, I called SOA and due to the service history on said car (it was extensive) they picked up 750 out of 850... no more leaks after front timing cover reseal.

there are no less than 16 separate places for the timing cover to leak on the mating surfaces of the engine block and head. This does not include any covers on said timing cover.

drive your car up on ramps, spray everything down with brake clean and then drive around a few days and reinspect. you will see it seeping from the timing chain cover.

Also you can remove the heads without pulling the engine, although the job might be easier/faster if you did.

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

I'd actually put money on the rear main seal and/or cam seals/crank seal leaking before the head gasket. But either way, both of those entail pulling the motor or transmission.

Which would give the dealership some credibility. These are all normal things that would be done during a timing belt job or something along those lines in a major service interval at your mileage.

The engine won't crap itself. It'll just have a leaky butthole, so long as you make sure the oil is topped off it would run fine. But oil leaks are annoying in themselves.

Eh, a car with 88k miles should not already be having these types of problems... I'd rather sell it for good amount and get a better car for a little cheaper. Maybe I could finally hit 100k miles lol

Before you get to the point of trying to sell it, get under there with some sort of degreaser and clean the oil off, then run around for a bit and see if you can figure out where the oil is coming from. Valve cover gaskets would be a likely culprit, as those do harden with age, and constantly being bathed in oil like they are on Subarus will increase the odds of oil actually leaking out of them. Those gaskets are easy enough to change with a 10mm (I'm assuming) socket and a ratchet wrench, and they're cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

For reference, my Baja weeps oil out of at least the passenger side head gasket, and has since I bought it- next oil change will be at 200k miles, and I don't have excessive oil consumption, or really any other issues with the engine. I do notice the smell sometimes, since the outside air pickup is on the passenger side at the top under that plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield, but on an '06 with this many miles, that's what the recirculate button is for. Point being, as long as it's just a little oil weeping externally, and not mixing with the coolant, or oil/coolant getting into the cylinders, that little spot on the driveway is probably the worst of it.

Someone else also just went through this with a 2013:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-make-mistake-buying-cari-282280.html

2013 was the first year for the FB25 engine in the Legacy/Outback in the US. I’d call SOA for goodwill assistance especially since it’s essentially a one owner car and has dealer service history.

Except they had just bought it, so they had a warranty from the dealer...

Before you get to the point of trying to sell it, get under there with some sort of degreaser and clean the oil off, then run around for a bit and see if you can figure out where the oil is coming from. Valve cover gaskets would be a likely culprit, as those do harden with age, and constantly being bathed in oil like they are on Subarus will increase the odds of oil actually leaking out of them. Those gaskets are easy enough to change with a 10mm (I'm assuming) socket and a ratchet wrench, and they're cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

For reference, my Baja weeps oil out of at least the passenger side head gasket, and has since I bought it- next oil change will be at 200k miles, and I don't have excessive oil consumption, or really any other issues with the engine. I do notice the smell sometimes, since the outside air pickup is on the passenger side at the top under that plastic cowl at the bottom of the windshield, but on an '06 with this many miles, that's what the recirculate button is for. Point being, as long as it's just a little oil weeping externally, and not mixing with the coolant, or oil/coolant getting into the cylinders, that little spot on the driveway is probably the worst of it.

My mechanic said that was part of the equation, but even as good as he is at his profession, he won't do the job considering how hard it will be. I am not going to pay $2,800 for a repair on an engine with 88k miles. That is just disgraceful. I wonder what the Subaru Dealer will say when they are shown the oil consumption bulletin :spin:

I'd clean everything, drive it a bit, then verify for myself where the oil is coming from - valve cover gaskets are the likely culprit, and those are pretty easy to do - the cam caps on that engine requires taking off the timing chain cover, which is a lot of work - head gaskets obviously require pulling the heads...

My mechanic said that was part of the equation, but even as good as he is at his profession, he won't do the job considering how hard it will be. I am not going to pay $2,800 for a repair on an engine with 88k miles. That is just disgraceful. I wonder what the Subaru Dealer will say when they are shown the oil consumption bulletin :spin:

They would say fix your oil leak first and then they could start a consumption test.

Valve cover gasket, Cam plugs I can agree to it. Headgasket blown at 88,473 that is hard to believe unless you revving the crap out of that motor, dogging it or keeping the oil low or almost dried up.

I have a 2013 2.5i Prem Legacy and I have about 100k maybe more. with no leaking issue .

Edited by amusa

A larger portion of the $2800 is from the head gaskets. I would clean it up and see where its leaking. If you have ramps (You can stack wooden planks), these motor aren't that hard to inspect the head gaskets. I don't know how they inspected the cam carriers. I would think those are underneath the timing chain. The cost is going to be a lot less if it is just valve covers and timing chain cover.

I have a hard time believe all those gaskets are leaking. If it is leaking from everywhere I would suspect high crankcase pressure being the issue from cylinder blow-by.

Someone else also just went through this with a 2013:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/did-make-mistake-buying-cari-282280.html

2013 was the first year for the FB25 engine in the Legacy/Outback in the US. I’d call SOA for goodwill assistance especially since it’s essentially a one owner car and has dealer service history.

the FB 2.5 motor has been in the Forester since 2010... and they suffer the same fate (leaking timing covers).

But if the car is burning oil, wouldn't they be required to do the test?

Your oil leak would skew the test in your favor. There is a known issue where oil is escaping the engine and causing the level to drop. All they do on a consumption test is check the oil level at set intervals, note it and top off. Worth asking, but that's the answer I would expect.