LegacyGT.com

Another blown turbo 13 months after replacement???

So the last time I was on the site my turbo had blown and I crawled to Morristown Subaru in NJ to leave it there for repair. Car is 100% stock except for a rear sway bar. They replaced it and flushed the oil and charged me $2100.

That was Oct 19 of 2011. Driving home today I am fairly certain this new turbo just blew AGAIN. Car wont boost. Its making a ton of rattling tin can noises and its the same noise as when the last one went. I have driven a total of about 7500 miles since it was replaced. Oil changes we done etc.

So it is now Dec 30 2012 and I only got 1 year parts and labor. Its Sunday so they aren't open but I am prepping to get the "well sir its past the 1 year warrenty on the replacement" crap. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this if they aren't willing to honor the warrenty? Should they. I mean the car wasn't raced it is stock and only drove 7500 since the last turbo....

Im so annoyed right now you have no idea.. Any thoughts would be appreciated

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You had the "Dealership" do the repairs?

Oil flush? I think that's why its blown again

Not much you can do/say, you can ask and see what they will do or why they did an oil flush

Go find a small independent shop that specializes in Subaru or at least knows Subarus well do it this time

Good luck with your car and go stage 3 if your gonna get it fixed and say no to a "oil flush"

Yes I brought it to the dealership because the turbo literally blew when I was on the highway and I had to go to the closest one. Additionally I knew that if I had them do it they would do it correctly and warranty the parts and labor.

The oil flush was nothing more then an oil change with more then the normal 4.1 quarts of oil. They just ran about 10 quarts through the system to make sure all the old oil was out. It only ran like $40 total which included a normal oil change.

So it wasn't some bogus $350 scam. I just don't get why a brand new turbo would be fine and then be dead on the highway. Then the next day it boosted fine again, then on the highway it "blew" again. Sometimes it holds boost and makes noise and the the rest of the time it literally is screaming and no boost can be made.

And i won't go stage anything anymore. My car was one of the fastest 5eats years ago and 3 transmissions later it just isn't worth it. This car can't hold the power. I reverted back to stock 2-3 years ago and sold all the parts but the tranny cooler and sway

well I was thinking that at first but it is making metal sounds like the last blown turbo. Its just inconsistent. I think there must be play in the shaft or something and at times when it is cold it will still make boost but after you drive it for 10 min it can't make an ounce of boost and just screams.

But your point is kinda why I am annoyed. I told them that the car was burning a lot of oil and if they could please diagnose the whole system as they replace the turbo. So obviously they didn't find something or did something wrong to make this one burn out in 14 months. Makes no sense. So I think they should honor this being its JUST out of warranty, which they may I just don't know yet. But I am not keeping this car after this is fixed. Way too many issues. I need a clean slate and a warranty.

Oh im going to be totally calm. There is no need to yell at anyone. Im just at my wits end with this car. Im on my 3rd tranny, going to be 3rd turbo and its only 88k miles.

I drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles home each day. So it really never even boosts. I don't abuse it.

But the fact that it failed again and of course its like just out of warranty on a part that should last 90k miles ticks me off and I have to spend time and probably money to go through this all again when I just did last year.

So certainly not going to yell at Subaru it may not be their fault but I am just hoping they are realistic with me and will cover it.

One questions I don't know that you guys may. If you have work done at one Dealership like in my case, will another all dealerships have to honor that warranty or just the one that replaced the turbo? Reason I ask is that the dealer that did it is 30 miles away and I have one 7 miles away. Would my closer dealer say they might cover it or only the shop that did the labor?

Do a engine overhaul, replace what needs to be replaced and what you want and just keep it

That could cost me $5k - 10k to replace the engine. I might as well get into a new car. I was really hoping to wait and see what the new WRX was going to look like before I traded this car in but I guess I will just have to move forward.

Probably only the shop that did the work will honor their warranty if they do at all. Get if fixed and ditch the car if you are in a financial position to do so.

Don't know what to suggest you buy as a replacement though since the 5th gen Legacy is a hideous bloated pig.

That could cost me $5k - 10k to replace the engine. I might as well get into a new car. I was really hoping to wait and see what the new WRX was going to look like before I traded this car in but I guess I will just have to move forward.

Be sure to check in with the guys at AZP. I'm sure they'll be able to give you some guidance.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

3 trannies too! Something's not right here. What stage was the car?

It was I guess stage III. I had every single bolt on you can imagine, 18g, torco tune etc etc etc. First tranny was dead at plain stage II. Then I went to the 18g then that one died and I am on the 3rd.

I am in a fine position for a new vehicle so that isn't a worry for me. And the new legacy is so ugly I would rather get a V6 camry lol. I am thinking the Hyundi Genesis Coupe or maybe just a Chevy Equinox on a short lease. But I want something with at least some balls. I really want a camaro but the wife isn't so for that. Which is why subaru is perfect. Fast and practical.

The new accord is pretty quick but ehh.

I have had a bunch of word done at azp installs. I know Lee who tints there. But I need a car and can't afford to have a shop have this car for weeks. they are really good guys there. But its also a good 40 miles from here.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If you want a second opinion on the car take it to AZP Installs in Kenilworth, NJ. I live in Morristown and it takes me 20 minutes to get to AZP. AZP is one of the best independent Subaru shops around. I have 106,000 on my 05 LGT and they do all my maintenance and upgrades. They just did major service and a complete stage 3 install this month. There prices are lower and the quality of work is way better than the dealership. They have a ton of great reviews on this site. Good luck at the dealership, hopefully it won't be that bad.

http://azpinstalls.com/

What stage was the car and was it dyno tuned by a professional?

Did you replace the up-pipe with an STi up-pipe or one that does not have a catalyst?

Ever had the banjo bolt oil filter replaced or cleaned?

Yes it was done all by a professional shop years and years ago. TDC Tuning. The the up pipe was catless yes. Car was reverted back to stock by a professional as well. I am quite knowledgeable about this car and such so it isn't like I am clueless. Which is why this ticks me off even more. I trusted overpaying at the dealer would give me at least some peace of mind that it was fixed by a "pro"

Disregard my post above as it seems you are already familiar with AZP. Looks like we posted at the same time. Good luck.

It was I guess stage III. I had every single bolt on you can imagine, 18g, torco tune etc etc etc. First tranny was dead at plain stage II. Then I went to the 18g then that one died and I am on the 3rd.

I am in a fine position for a new vehicle so that isn't a worry for me. And the new legacy is so ugly I would rather get a V6 camry lol. I am thinking the Hyundi Genesis Coupe or maybe just a Chevy Equinox on a short lease. But I want something with at least some balls. I really want a camaro but the wife isn't so for that. Which is why subaru is perfect. Fast and practical.

I have had a bunch of word done at azp installs. I know Lee who tints there. But I need a car and can't afford to have a shop have this car for weeks. they are really good guys there. But its also a good 40 miles from here.

SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

OMG would lovvvvve to do that. But they are what like 60k. I just can't swing that. She would maybe let me go into the 40s but I am sensible too. I just can't justify 30k more then any normal SUV for just some extra HP.

What stage was the car and was it dyno tuned by a professional?

Did you replace the up-pipe with an STi up-pipe or one that does not have a catalyst?

Ever had the banjo bolt oil filter replaced or cleaned?

I thought 02+ STi UP's were cattless!

Archived