LegacyGT.com

Anyone buy Depo headlights before?

I bought Depo lights for my Mazda 3 a few years ago. Also got some Lamin-X to throw on for extra added protection. The install was an OEM style finish, and they looked rather fantastic up until someone hit it while it was parked, and totaled it. Sure, different car, but still same Depo brand. I say go for it.

Personally, after working on a set of depo legacy lights a few months back, I didn't like the quality of the internals much. But then again I hate working with pretty much any aftermarket lights (depo, tyc, eagle eyes, etc). They look nice on the outside though.

Personally, after working on a set of depo legacy lights a few months back, I didn't like the quality of the internals much. But then again I hate working with pretty much any aftermarket lights (depo, tyc, eagle eyes, etc). They look nice on the outside though.

Possibly the most relevant response in this thread so far, as the OP mentioned opening up the lights. And while I haven't seen the OP respond to this thread thus far, I'm going to ask anyway just in case there is anyone else out there that is curious as well. What was it, exactly, about the "quality of the internals" didn't you like? Meaning, was it hard to work with? Cheaply made? Was something easily broken where maybe something from the factory light would have been made from a stronger material?

I personally have no intent on opening up my stock lights, or even a set of aftermarket ones honestly. However, I ask for a bit more of a specific response to so that others may have something to reference in the future.

The quality of the materials is questionable. While not as bad as, say spyder/sonar "projector halo" type lights, it is still clearly not on par with the oem counterpart.

Now, you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you like. I retrofit for a living, and have for about 3 years. So I am naturally picky about the types of lights I prefer working with.

But when comparing side by side, the DEPO housing is a softer and more pliable material which bends and breaks more easily. The hardware used on the inside is easy to strip out/break and the plastic ball joint is also easy to break. The halogen projector it comes with is kinda crappy, definitely dimmer than oem (not relevant for a retrofit). Also, the front lens cover is not 100% optically clear, and can do funky things to the cutoff or just lower the output in general. The finish on the internal shroud/bezel isn't that great, but the oem version isn't that much better (chrome flakes off easily). The external wiring/connectors are also pretty cheap and may not do well over time. The front lense covers tend to fade faster than oem lights as well.

These sort of things are typical are nearly all aftermarket lights. This stuff doesn't make a difference to your average person who just wants to replace a broken lamp or a set of weathered original lamps. But to someone like me, who works on lights all day, this stuff annoys me a fair amount.

I've used many, many sets of them, sometimes for crash repair, sometimes because it makes a 15 year old Outback look new again (I don't sand/polish headlights. .. it never lasts).

Quality is pretty good, look and fit is close to OEM. Might have some casting flash on the edge of a lens to scrape off or a tight connection on the bulb, but nothing that's made me send a set back.

For the price it's hard to beat.

The quality of the materials is questionable. While not as bad as, say spyder/sonar "projector halo" type lights, it is still clearly not on par with the oem counterpart.

Now, you can take what I say with a grain of salt if you like. I retrofit for a living, and have for about 3 years. So I am naturally picky about the types of lights I prefer working with.

But when comparing side by side, the DEPO housing is a softer and more pliable material which bends and breaks more easily. The hardware used on the inside is easy to strip out/break and the plastic ball joint is also easy to break. The halogen projector it comes with is kinda crappy, definitely dimmer than oem (not relevant for a retrofit). Also, the front lens cover is not 100% optically clear, and can do funky things to the cutoff or just lower the output in general. The finish on the internal shroud/bezel isn't that great, but the oem version isn't that much better (chrome flakes off easily). The external wiring/connectors are also pretty cheap and may not do well over time. The front lense covers tend to fade faster than oem lights as well.

These sort of things are typical are nearly all aftermarket lights. This stuff doesn't make a difference to your average person who just wants to replace a broken lamp or a set of weathered original lamps. But to someone like me, who works on lights all day, this stuff annoys me a fair amount.

Thanks for clearing that up (no pun intended).

I had a set on my old Ford SVT Focus. I had to cut some plastic off of them in order to make them fit. Once I did that, they fit like a glove. Never had any issues once they were installed. They looked killer. Go for it!

Regular halogen lense (black surround) or Mach H.I.D.? I have a 2003 SVT with the H.I.D.'s

I've used many, many sets of them, sometimes for crash repair, sometimes because it makes a 15 year old Outback look new again (I don't sand/polish headlights. .. it never lasts).

Quality is pretty good, look and fit is close to OEM. Might have some casting flash on the edge of a lens to scrape off or a tight connection on the bulb, but nothing that's made me send a set back.

For the price it's hard to beat.

I agree with the price point. I'm just glad someone could dive in here and shine some light on the question for the OP (again, no pun intended)

The light should be coming Friday so I will see how it is

Sounds good. Keep us posted with your progress!

FWIW, when I bought my car (used) both foglights were smashed. I bought a pair of aftermarket ones for less than half price that turned out to be Depo brand. If you had've told me they were OEM I couldn't have disagreed. They fit perfectly, look perfect and work perfectly too. From this experience I quickly learned about Subaru aftermarket parts.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/6abab8f48717d491df5f53bcaed6723c.jpg

Looks pretty good to me but I will take it apart today

By the way what is the price for these and would you care to share the link on where to purchase these? Thank you.....

I've had the cleared oem version for over a year now. No complaints here. Make sure you replace them in matching pairs. The projectors may be a slightly different color.

This is a link to the clear version I have.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-2007-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-DEPO-BLACK-CLEAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-/311530111521?nav=SEARCH

I've had the cleared oem version for over a year now. No complaints here. Make sure you replace them in matching pairs. The projectors may be a slightly different color.

This is a link to the clear version I have.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-2007-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-DEPO-BLACK-CLEAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-/311530111521?nav=SEARCH

I bought this same set last year after I hit a deer but with HIDs installed. A year later and and no issues at all. The HIDs are good quality too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160205/6abab8f48717d491df5f53bcaed6723c.jpg

Looks pretty good to me but I will take it apart today

By the way what is the price for these and would you care to share the link on where to purchase these? Thank you.....

I got them from Amazon and I decided I wont open them up tonight only because I will be changing the lenses out on the stock Legacy projectors

Archived