LegacyGT.com

Magnaflow question

Justin case

So I currently have an spt v2 on my car but like a lot of people I think its way too quiet. I'm contemplating getting the Magnaflow for two reasons. The first being its really the only other exhaust that I like the looks of aside from the spt. And I would like the added volume. My question is for those who have had it installed for a good amount of time,or those who live in the rust belt. I just want to know how its held up over the years. I searched around and it seems like I've seen multiple pictures of Magnaflow's with the pipes covered in rust and in general,kind of sad shape. If its kept waxed/polished should it hold up as well as the spt? As far as I know mine has been installed since the first owner and it can still be polished to look great.

If you search I think you'll find a lot of people on this forum installed a magnaflow, then had to have it modified to reduce the drone / noise. I had one on my legacy for one week, and it was too much -- I had to take it off. Way too much bass from inside the car, and I didn't feel like dicking around with extra mufflers and resonators.

Anyways, it might work out for you. Just be careful that youtube sound clips are IMO worthless.

I've seen a lot of people add in resonators which does worry me a bit. And youtube videos make it seem much more tame than everyone leads on. I mean I've had loud exhausts on cars in the past and enjoyed it. But I also enjoy not getting pulled over for loud exhausts either. Also I can order it through my work so I'm almost thinking that if I hate it I can con my service manager into returning it. Just very much on the fence about it.

When I put in my Magnaflow, the noise level didn't bother me so much as the highway droning did. I had an 18" Vibrant bottle resonator welded into my midpipe which helped some. It's still a little loud for my liking, but I can still carry on a conversation in the car with a minimal amount of, "What did you say?"

:lol:

If you search I think you'll find a lot of people on this forum installed a magnaflow, then had to have it modified to reduce the drone / noise.

Me. It was fine with the stock DP, but after adding a high-flow DP, it was insanely loud.

I added an oval muffler to the midpipe. Much more tolerable now.

Tits mcgee

Thanks for the input guys. And yes I've got a catted cnt downpipe on it now. I did notice a difference when going from stock dp to the cnt but it didn't seem like much. I guess at this point I should just get one and see how it sounds in person.

I can't comment on the rust as of yet, I've only had mine installed for a week. But I really like the sound, it might be that I'm younger so it doesn't bother me as much. It has a very deep rumble that is unmistakeable. Highly recommend it if you don't mind loud.

I can't comment on the rust as of yet, I've only had mine installed for a week. But I really like the sound, it might be that I'm younger so it doesn't bother me as much. It has a very deep rumble that is unmistakeable. Highly recommend it if you don't mind loud.

Do you have an aftermarket downpipe?

See, I think this is why half the people with a magnaflow find it acceptable, and the other half need to have a resonator or extra mufflers welded on. I'm starting to think a downpipe makes a huge difference.

I'd love to sit in a car with a magnaflow + stock DP and hear what it sounds like, seeing as I pretty clearly remember what my car sounded like with an aftermarket DP and magnaflow.

• 2 months later...

Archived