LegacyGT.com

CV joint/axle life expectancy?

1994 Subary Legacy.

About 2-3 years ago I replaced the front axles. This last week, as I was doing work on the front end, I discovered the boot for the right axle was in two pieces. These axles were purchased from Autozone, and are their "Duralast" line. Made in Mexico, I think.

The factory axles lasted about ten years. The axles that they were replaced with at that time lasted maybe eight years. Needless to say I'm really dissapointed that the boots would crack in less than 3 years, ruining the cv joint and requiring yet another set of axles.

Is this piss poor quality just normal today? Are there any brands that are known to be of better quality, or are the Autozone axles just really poor quality?

I got six months out of an AZ CV.

I usually buy from NAPA - lifetime warranty - no core - and haven't had any issues.

There is a place that sells (sold?) rebuilt Subie axles, MWE, but I'm not sure they're still in business.

But if you're paying less than $90/an axle, probably not good.

TD

I've heard from a local Subaru guru that our CV axles are really difficult to rebuild and manufacture properly due to the design. He was saying he's seen rebuilt ones last only a couple minutes to several years. On a side note I have ToughOne axles from Advance, on both my fronts and I think my oldest is on 2 years and it looks great. I had non-OEM ones on the front of my car when I got it (I don't know the brand) but the boots didn't split, instead they began to leak around the mating surface of the boot and axle.

The problem in this case was crap quality boots that split after just a few years. Good boots that last ten years cost more, and it looks like the cheap axle makers/rebuilders are putting cheap crap boots on what is probably an otherwise fine axle. I'm betting I could have got ten years from the axle if the boots did not disintegrate.

Archived