LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

As far as paying off the car- pay down whatever has the highest interest rate first. If you have a higher rate on the house than on the car, and you don't just have $12500 sitting around burning a hole in your pocket (and if you do, you should max out both of your Roth IRAs for the year rather than just sitting on it), you're doing better by paying extra on the house than you are by paying down the car. Granted, there's definitely peace of mind in actually owning it and knowing you don't have to make payments on it if you end up out of work or something.

What's a Roth IRA?! :lol:

Jk. I need to open one. That was my plan after moving in. But two IRA's? We we're thinking if we opened one each most likely. I've got a 401k through work too.

That was my thought too with saving. I wasn't just gonna charge $1000 in parts to my card after day one. I want a get a good chunk in savings for both of us. I know all about unexpected things :rolleyes: I've already started thinking about home theater upgrades. I've got a 650w Insignia 5.1 with some wimpy Monoprice speakers that probably equal 100w all-together.

I just keep looking at all this stuff to move o_o

The big car purchases are pretty much done. A full exhaust won't be much. I already dropped $2100 last year on wheels/tires. I've got Zee's Koni strut inserts just chilling in my closet. I give it another 6 months, if they're not on, GTeaser's gonna be in my garage, assembling them, with my car torn apart because he can't understand why they're not on yet. Lmao.

more concerned that the tread depths will have gotten too far from new by this point

I'm not sure how your driving is but with the way I commute I barely go through tires. I'm on season three with my winters and they're just at 9/32nd. New they're 11/32nd's.

If anything, if they weren't covered, can order from tire rack and I think they'll shave the tire down a bit if you need them too.

Yeah, sorry, I meant one each. I think the yearly contribution limit is a global thing, so even if you have two in your name, the total you can put in is the same. Definitely get on that sooner rather than later, even if you're not maxing it out. Time in the market is the most important factor- you can dump more in later when you have more available, but you're not going to be able to make up the 7% (ish) per year growth you're missing out on now. My old roommate went way, way down the rabbit hole on this stuff, and is currently working on convincing me to convert my work 401(K) to a Roth 401(K)- money goes in after tax, separate limit from the Roth IRA, and I still get the full 401(K) matching benefit from my company.

Don't knock Monoprice too bad, I actually ended up getting one of their subs. The 10" I bought has been reviewed pretty favorably, to the point where it's a legitimate competitor to 12" subs sold by a couple "high-end" brands. I'm no audiophile by any stretch, but I can't argue with that kind of performance.

Nearly lost my L7 courtesy light slide. I hit a bone jarring pot hole the shook the chip loose from the courtesy light projector. Luckily it stayed in the door when I took it out to investigate. Was panicking for a few minutes since I couldn't find it at all

interesting vid on the FMIC for the Ford RS....

Thanks for sharing! Our MRT buddies from Oz, one of the first tuner shops around the globe that tuned the VA WRX and Levorg back in early 2014. Now that the current-gen RS production is ending or over I guess more of these will become track-only toys... or just fade into automotive history like the first gen STs and RSs last years ago. Edited by Perscitus

Don't knock Monoprice too bad, I actually ended up getting one of their subs. The 10" I bought has been reviewed pretty favorably, to the point where it's a legitimate competitor to 12" subs sold by a couple "high-end" brands. I'm no audiophile by any stretch, but I can't argue with that kind of performance.

The surround speakers aren't bad. It's the center channel that is awful. The sub is actually pretty decent for what I paid (Maybe $120?)

I just want more mid's and lows from the surrounds and crisper center channel. I see Polk's going on sale on Black Friday all the time. Maybe that'll be the time.

Taking my beast in for oil consumption test tomorrow. I'm up to half a quart for 500 miles. I'm sure SOA will offer to fix it, especially since I'm still under warranty but fingers crossed.

Oh yeah! Went to the Cleveland Auto Show today. Wasn't very pleased. Sat in quite a few cars. Really liked the Lexus RC F out of all of them. Too bad on that sticker price. I'm noticing the "iPad attached to the dash" is becoming the next thing. So many cars doing this, I don't know why.

Sadly, didn't see the new SUV from Subaru. I sat in a few of the other models. The newer interiors are a good step up from our gen but I still feel at home in mine. Especially after everything I've done to it. I'm not digging what they're doing to the front end of cars lately. Very few models that I've seen that I thought looked good. As always, I think I still want a BRZ for a second car at some point. Their seats fit me better than the STI's. I find the interior acceptable for the price range. I really love the dark grey color I saw. Hmmm.

To be completely honest, cars are losing their soul. Walking through all the new models, I was starting to get confused which brand I was looking at because they're making them all look a like. They're also getting even fatter. The Ford Taurus makes our yachts look like row boats :lol: All in all, seeing all these new models, I'm still happy with my car. Even with her drinking problem.

Edited by Timothy.B

When my wife was getting ready to sell this last year I came very close to ditching the GT and buying this from her. The BRZ is a joy to drive....and the seats fit me fantastically too.

25866724c0e8c30271e10f02e4cebd09.jpg

You were going to buy the car "from" your wife? I'm guessing completely separate finances?

Anyone know what 2.5na manifold would fit and what would be involved... I saw "frenchy" did it on his and man... the plastic intake has bothered me since day 1...

I've never done this, but from the pictures you can surmise a few things.

1 : fmic

2 : fuel rails

3 : phenolic gaskets

4 : maybe some type of spacer between tgv and manifold.

5 : bpv

Could be more things but that should be the main ones

^^^ to add to that, I am rocking a plastic manifold with 400whp.

metal is going to be heavier and hotter. I totally get that it would be solid. But, I don't believe it is necessary even at 800whp.

would look better and be stonger for sure. But hey, who am I to judge. If you have an itch, scratch it!

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

The surround speakers aren't bad. It's the center channel that is awful. The sub is actually pretty decent for what I paid (Maybe $120?)

I just want more mid's and lows from the surrounds and crisper center channel. I see Polk's going on sale on Black Friday all the time. Maybe that'll be the time.

Finally some HT enabling I can help with...

If you want some really nice mid level equipment I run Klipsh speakers. They are great quality and sound. I have a hook up that discounts them very deep. Let me know if you would be interested. Also keep in mind that there are many DIY sub kits that you could build for a few $100 that blow away most any retail subs on the market (Klipsch, SVS etc.). I know how we like to build things ourselves, that's why we are on this forum.

Well, we just had a meeting at work that our parent company was sold, but not us. The investment company that bought them is coming to our shop to see if they want to purchase us also. So we will be in limbo for the next few weeks.

You were going to buy the car "from" your wife? I'm guessing completely separate finances?
It wouldnt have been that formal. But yes, separate finances, it allows me a little freedom with my car hobby. I would have sold the GT and then given my wife the appropriate amount to "buy" the car so that she had a fair down payment on her new one.

Just got a stellar review at work yesterday, a $1.25 raise, and a sizable bonus. Koni's this month boys! :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Honestly, even moreso than the money, I'm thrilled at how highly praised I was in the review. Our reviews use a 0-4 scale in each category, and my boss hates that review form we use and kind of does his own thing with it. He specifically only gives 0's, 1's, or 2's, since that works better for his purposes. My review was so positive that the majority of my categories for 2.5's and I even got two 3's. I've never had the best history with job performance (mostly because I was a bit of a little shithead until my late 20s), so to get this kind of feedback and reward for hard work is extremely gratifying. :)

Finally some HT enabling I can help with...

If you want some really nice mid level equipment I run Klipsh speakers. They are great quality and sound. I have a hook up that discounts them very deep. Let me know if you would be interested. Also keep in mind that there are many DIY sub kits that you could build for a few $100 that blow away most any retail subs on the market (Klipsch, SVS etc.). I know how we like to build things ourselves, that's why we are on this forum.

I was eyeballing Klipsch, ended up going with Polk Signatures. Not sure how they sound yet, since I still have to sand and paint the wall, hang the TV, and drop a couple more speaker wires though the walls, but you can usually get some pretty sweet deal on those as well. Adorama frequently has "open box" bundles (which seems like it may just be a convenient way for them to dodge MAP more than anything else), I discovered those over on slickdeals.net.

Congrats! Always feels good when you get recognized for doing great work.

Our company decided to actually take away our levels to bonus and instead created a score card to judge you off 8categorys for the month on a percentage to goal.

So they tried to even the playing field if you missed a category you could make up for it elsewhere.

Then based on that every 3mo you get a raise between .10-.50cents if you do better than a 90%. Makes it more rewarding for the employees who consistently perform for sales. Rather than a bunch of sporadic bonuses