LegacyGT.com

Does two teeth on timing belt trash engine?

Hello everyone. After replacing a bad alternator in my sons 06 legacy it suddenly wouldn't start. After trial and error we've finally come down to the timing belt. After taking the cover off and aligning the crankshaft to the notch, we can see that both cam marks are matching, but at the 5pm position. When rotating them to the 12, the crankshaft looks to be off by two teeth as shown in the pics. No idea how this could have happened.

But at any rate, my question now, is being off by two teeth enough to damage the engine badly? If we get a kit and replace the timing belt and pulleys can we reasonably expect the vehicle to start again or are we guaranteed internal damage?

Never mind, looks like I can't add pics. Either way, the question remains.

Thank you.

Two teeth off shouldn't cause any engine damage. Is there a reason you're replacing the timing belt? You probably have the right idea already if it's been a while since it was last changed.

Can you elaborate on how the car isn't starting; i.e. is it not cranking, is it cranking but not starting, etc. Reason being even if the belt is off by two teeth the car should still run, leading me to think the issue is elsewhere.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Only possible explanation I can think of is that you rotated the crank in the reverse direction somehow via the serpentine belt? There's been one instance I can recall on here where someone turned the crank in reverse and skipped timing.

That said, 2 teeth shouldn't be a problem. I assume when you say the car wouldn't start that you tried cranking it, and that you didn't hear valves hitting pistons.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The service may be helpful to you, there are a couple areas in the manual that talk about timing marks.

There is also a good thread in teh DIY forums.

To post pictures you have to log out of the site, from the upper left side of the Home page for this site. In the box with your avatar is the log out button. When you log back in you should be able to post pictures...there may be a 10 post minimum too .

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll take a look at the links provided and read up. I appreciate everyone's input. Here is a link to the original thread on how all this started and the road that lead us to the timing belt. The car cranks and sounds like it wants to catch but never does. It did ONCE briefly when using ether but won't again since.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replaced-bad-alternator-now-car-wont-start-p0026-282050.html

Initially, I just want to reset the current belt once everything is aligned properly just to see if the car finally starts. If it does, then I will get a kit and replace everything. I feel it needs to be replaced because why else would the teeth have jumped if there wasn't something wrong with what's currently in place?

I didn't see a logout where I was told. Only on the bottom right. Lt me see if I can put up pics now. Before it just kept saying invalid file but they are jpg's so I don't get it.

Nope, no pics. Still invalid files.

I'll take a look at the links provided and read up. I appreciate everyone's input. Here is a link to the original thread on how all this started and the road that lead us to the timing belt. The car cranks and sounds like it wants to catch but never does. It did ONCE briefly when using ether but won't again since.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replaced-bad-alternator-now-car-wont-start-p0026-282050.html

Initially, I just want to reset the current belt once everything is aligned properly just to see if the car finally starts. If it does, then I will get a kit and replace everything. I feel it needs to be replaced because why else would the teeth have jumped if there wasn't something wrong with what's currently in place?

I didn't see a logout where I was told. Only on the bottom right. Lt me see if I can put up pics now. Before it just kept saying invalid file but they are jpg's so I don't get it.

While skipping timing in these cars isn't super rare, it is most likely caused by wear of the timing components. Replacing them would not be a bad idea.

Just did mine about a week ago. Use a vice grip to hold the driver side sprockets and with an extra set of hands to hold the belt in place the install isn't that bad.

Edited by dwmccauley01

https://legacygt.com/? or click on the word HOME in the blue bar up top. In the User CP block in the upper left corner you'll see the log out in blue. There is also so info on that page about photos.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Try to reduce size by 50%, that usually fixes it.

The published file sizes are incorrect.

With it starting briefly while using ether, that makes me think the fuel pump might be bad. Even with a tooth or two off the engine should still start, only thing it would do is cause the check engine light to come on. Can you verify that you're getting fuel pressure?