LegacyGT.com

I think my turbo blew in Topeka KS

We all are on the same path :) it never hurts to suggest to any member to examine the less popular alternatives. If that was offensive my bad, I wasn’t trying to upset you or denounce your choice and experiences. So I hope you can forgive that post and we can move on to more exciting things like rebuilding a EJ255.

The PO did a decent amount of maintenance so don’t get caught up buying it all new, reuse and replace the good bits as they fail. While the engine is out you’ll replace all the critical gaskets, buy OEM timing and cooling components

Turbo wise that’s is tricky I blew my VF46 at 165K but it was an oil seal so I replaced it with a VF46. I’m now at 184k miles and starting to plan out my inevitable engine overhaul. It’s tempting to go with a different turbo but considering what is needed to make it function effectively you might want to phase that in after break in and returning to a baseline reliable daily driver

Like you I’m a “stay stock stay happy” owner you can make 245 at the wheels reliably rebuilding 100% and having a reputable tuner iron out the tune. I will say this if you can find an aftermarket turbo inlet buy it the OEM is very good but it’s a PITA to replace while the engine and/or intake are in place. I’ve done two I’d rather do a clutch and spark plugs :shrugs: also you can better route the various connections to the inlet.

I run a catless shorty DP matted to a stock mid-pipe catted section on a stage 2 tune it’s not a full DP but it frees up the turbo and is stock looking.

Fluids wise since you’ll have the gearbox out replace what was in there with Motul Gear 300 75w90 or Redline and if the trunion or shifter bushings are shot replace them also as doing it with the trans in the car is just harder.

Suspension wise you hit the nail on the head in the other thread. I would stay stock and add sway bars front and rear I have 22mm up front and 20mm rear and my LGT is very flat in the turns.

One last thing, for now at least, think about upgrading the radio. I think Subaru dropped the ball on that for our generation Legacy/OB but if you swing it, it really modernizes the car.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Eh no worries. You're certainly not wrong. My sister took the same amount of money and bought a focus with 30k miles. But then I'd own a focus.

Yea once the engines out I'm hoping to do all that over lap. I'll end up doing a full thread with just that because it's fun and then when I hit a snag I can hopefully get some help.

I've heard suggestions about the turbo inlet so that's on the list. Shifter bushings as well.

As for interior stuff, well I'm likely going to 3d print a different cup holder design that I'm hoping will mate up and replace stock with actual friggin cup holders and also have a phone slot. Also going to make a storage thing for the center console.

Was planning to replace the radio with a double din with Apple carplay and the android auto capabilities and also do a back up camera. I'll eventually also add a sub in a fiberglass box into the back shoved over the wheel well. The audio stuff is something I've done on a few cars.

Also all the lights. Plus some extra interior lights and retrofit hid into the headlights, make the fog lights independent, retrofit functional fog lights for the twice a year I get stuck in blizzards. I've got a laundry list of stuff but a lot of that will wait while I'm putting the money into the engine. I had hoped to do tint headlights and maybe radio in the first few months initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk