LegacyGT.com

I'm about to loose my $hit. SOA needs to do a recall/ replace the 16mm rear sway bar

The 6th gen legacy is NOT SAFE to drive above 50mph on any road. Specifically the 2015 model. The way this car floats left and right is INSANE!

I literally feel that I have gained a psychic ability in attempting to predict which direction the car is going to lurch in @ any crosswind. I have purchased the 20mm bar w/bushings. They are in the trunk. I just happen to be lazy and its COLD outside. I hate this car. I wish I had just kept my 4th Gen 2.5 Limited. That car had it's own issues, the best had to be the head gasket failure and all the drama that went along with that.... At least I was able to drive that car down the road and change the radio station without the fear or swaying into someone or slamming into a guard rail ! Seriously, i'm exhausted after driving on the highway with this POS.

-Cheers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you have all the answers. Maybe you should start your own car company.

Seriously, have you tried to address the problem? If so, how? What were the results? Or did you just come here to whine?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I grow weary of this BS.

OP, don't tell my car it's broke, you might hurt it's feelings. You see, it's seen 100mph twice and lessor speeds many more times and never once operated as you describe. If you have a problem with your car take in in for warranty. Because you have an issue doesn't mean all of us do.

This reminds me, we never heard a conclusion to the last crybabies (2) who claimed much the same problems. Funny how they disappeared.

Mine was all over the road from crosswinds with my 16mm. 20mm was so much better. I had the 24mm front and the 26 that you guys have helped as well. I wouldn't say it was unsafe but it wasn't exactly the best experience. It would also roll back and forth a few times when going at an angle over a hump. That's now greatly reduced.

The 6th gen legacy is NOT SAFE to drive above 50mph on any road. Specifically the 2015 model. The way this car floats left and right is INSANE!

I literally feel that I have gained a psychic ability in attempting to predict which direction the car is going to lurch in @ any crosswind. I have purchased the 20mm bar w/bushings. They are in the trunk. I just happen to be lazy and its COLD outside. I hate this car. I wish I had just kept my 4th Gen 2.5 Limited. That car had it's own issues, the best had to be the head gasket failure and all the drama that went along with that.... At least I was able to drive that car down the road and change the radio station without the fear or swaying into someone or slamming into a guard rail ! Seriously, i'm exhausted after driving on the highway with this POS.

-Cheers

having driven several 6th gen Legacies myself, I have never had issues with how they drive. They go straight and true....

I was just today trying to tell my 19 yo about the Corvair ( since we saw an early 60s version ) and Ralph Nader . OP you ought to drive one of those in a stiff crosswind at 60 mph . Although I didn't at the time think that it was actually unsafe . Just grip the steering wheel a bit harder .

I have never experienced your criticism in my '16 Limited .

Still , I caved to the many who thought it necessary to upgrade . and installed a 20 mm RSB a few months ago . Very little noticeable improvement , to be honest .

Then again , I thought the original gave a good flat cornering mode .

Well , I guess you ought to get off your lazy behind and install the one you have riding in the trunk . If my broken down 64 yo body can slide under and do it , I reckon you can too . Better yet , take it to the dealer and have them install it while you talk the service advisor's ear off . Could be fun for you .

Best regards

Georgia Boy

I have a 2017 base model. Had it up to 85mph by accident on the highway, because it drives so smooth and quiet. Seriously. It drives straight as an arrow.

In your case, if you're having ANY kind of steering or control issues at highway speed, you NEED to immediately take it in. Have them inspect it, and take them for a ride to show them whats wrong. The car is still under warranty, so get the issue fixed ASAP!!!

I have never driven a 6th gen legacy, but I have driven a 2011 4Runner many times that exhibits the exact same symptoms, so I completely understand what you're talking about.

The fact of the matter is this is a well documented issue here on these forums, so while some people may have no idea what he's talking about, there clearly is or was some issue going on with a lot of 6th gen legacies.

You should not have to install a larger rear sway bar for the car to drive in a normal, safe manner at highway speeds.

Check the tire pressure first before you start to do anything else. And make sure the gauge used is good too.

On the 5th gen I had then I discovered that having a 10 to 15% higher pressure than what was stated made things a lot better.

The second thing to check is the wheel alignment - take it to a specialized shop. Even if it's "within spec" it may be a combination that causes problems.

After that it's time to do the suspension work.

453747.png

You have a 2015. If you bought it new, then why in the heck have you kept this death trap for so long?

If you bought it used, then how do you know the previous owner didn't abuse it or it wasn't in an accident?

I didn't buy it new, i wish I had bought a new one. I bought it this past 6/2016. It was a previously leased vehicle, they had said a Subaru employee lease to be exact.. I have complained about it, and to date, they have replaced front left wheel bearing and aligned it 4 times. When I bought the car, something that was and still remains odd to me is the trunk area. The rug is 2 different colors in the trunk. The floor piece is dark black and the sides are a light gray. The rug around the opening of the trunk and the lights was pulled away as it wasn't under the gasket of the trunk opening? When I brought it to their attention they claimed it was normal. Even if I would put it under the gasket it would pull away after awhile. To remedy that I got the trunk liner and side mesh pockets. Also, the trunk has deep scratches on the outside of it. Kinda looks like someone went at it with a snow brush? The reason I brought this up is, maybe it was hit and that is causing the handling issues I continue to have? How to find out if it was in an accident? They have said no, but I wouldn't take this dealership for their word anymore.

noticed no sway at common highway speeds myself. It ain't like the motorcycles I used to own that would countersteer themselves in heavy wind.

I wonder if I should have installed larger sway bar on those?

Funny. I ride a motorcycle also. That does better in crosswinds than this car.

I didn't buy it new, i wish I had bought a new one. I bought it this past 6/2016. It was a previously leased vehicle, they had said a Subaru employee lease to be exact.. I have complained about it, and to date, they have replaced front left wheel bearing and aligned it 4 times. When I bought the car, something that was and still remains odd to me is the trunk area. The rug is 2 different colors in the trunk. The floor piece is dark black and the sides are a light gray. The rug around the opening of the trunk and the lights was pulled away as it wasn't under the gasket of the trunk opening? When I brought it to their attention they claimed it was normal. Even if I would put it under the gasket it would pull away after awhile. To remedy that I got the trunk liner and side mesh pockets. Also, the trunk has deep scratches on the outside of it. Kinda looks like someone went at it with a snow brush? The reason I brought this up is, maybe it was hit and that is causing the handling issues I continue to have? How to find out if it was in an accident? They have said no, but I wouldn't take this dealership for their word anymore.

Just gonna guess that the frame in your car was damaged and repaired incorrectly. Bring it to an autobody shop and have them look at it and see if they can determine if it was in an accident.

Your issue isn't common among other Legacies, so it aint the brand, or the model, just something wrong with yours.

Archived