LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Attempted to replace a wheel bearing and gave up at putting the new one back on. The new hub won't slide far enough onto the axle spline that I can bolt it in place. It stays just far enough away that everything is annoying.

Reminds me why I haven't messed with anything in a long time.

strange. You should have provided a picture. I never had an issue like that and I changed four of these rear ones. Although I recall having to make sure the wheel bearing was oriented right. Which brand did you get?

Edited by xt2005bonbon

NSK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005OD7MIQ/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if my axle spline is just mangled. It's super frustrating. I did the hard part. The easy part is supposed to be putting it back together.

I'll get a picture soon. It's just the axle half way in the hub though...

There are a couple times where I wonder wth I am doing working on cars. Use the brakes. Duh.

In my defense I was trying to avoid calling my wife out to help me.

Also instead of wearing away at the pad my Stoptechs seem to be just wearing away the rotor. There is a decent amount of pad left and a really decent groove on the rotor.

Got them both in the driveway finally! Not so much of an outback moment but fmic finished on my 5thgn. She's wanting to GOOOO now with the extra cooling. Can't wait for my 20g, injectors, pump to go in.ff8762b27f499d5b9d6dd606d87b5ea1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Assumed the MovTech LCA used the same ball joint taper as the OBXT... Apparently not.

Is the LGT and OBXT Ball Joints really that different?

Have no time for new strut install and threw the LCA, new ball joints at them as well. They called back saying ummm no go red rider. So for now said go ahead with the strut/shock replacement without the LCA and I'll get to that later.

Threw the break line replacement task to them as well...

Bottom line needed alignment and had some parts sitting for install. Why not kill two or more birds in one go. Guess I missed one that looked like a ball joint.

There are a couple times where I wonder wth I am doing working on cars. Use the brakes. Duh.

In my defense I was trying to avoid calling my wife out to help me.

Also instead of wearing away at the pad my Stoptechs seem to be just wearing away the rotor. There is a decent amount of pad left and a really decent groove on the rotor.

What brake pads are you using?

Had a chance to breath and look around on Heuberger and the GT ball joints are the same. So for now the MovTech LCA assembly will be a stop gap until I replace the old bushings in the stock LCA. Have all the bushings from the last order.

On another note in process of replacing all the break lines the tech found the passenger rear intermediary hardline between the two soft lines seized.

So a new one is on order in addition to a push clip I lost pulling the rear interior.

Will be taking this back to the same shop and will see how the MovTech LCA fits with their Ball Joint in play since there seems to be no other alternative with these.

Will be taking this back to the same shop and will see how the MovTech LCA fits with their Ball Joint in play since there seems to be no other alternative with these.

Hold on, I must have missed something here.

I have mevotech LCAs on my OBXT with MOOG balljoints and they fit perfectly. You need the transverse boss (I think it's PN 20216FA000 but you should call Brian at Hueberger to confirm) to make it all play nice together.

Of course, like the third time my wife (or anyone) ever drives my car, she gets hit. Happy friekin' birthday.

Thankfully it appears minor enough to buff out. On front drivers bumper right in front of headlight.

And i've still never hit or been hit by another car in my life. She total'd her first car though. *rollseyes*

EDIT: and i had her car to get trade in quotes so we could see what we had to buy a new(er) car. I had it washed and then vacuumed it out and threw out all the wrappers and such. She gets mine in a collision...

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

It's the driver. I gently rear ended someone texting in traffic 12+ years ago. Have never come close since then.

My wife, totaled her first car, ran mine into a wall (there was a squirrel), and then a couple people have run into her, backed it up to close to a wall and chipped the mirror (luckily all the same car).

No she is in a brand new minivan at some point I am sure she will run it into something or someone will run into her. And I have to be okay with that...

Hold on, I must have missed something here.

I have mevotech LCAs on my OBXT with MOOG balljoints and they fit perfectly. You need the transverse boss (I think it's PN 20216FA000 but you should call Brian at Hueberger to confirm) to make it all play nice together.

Finally had the time to get one of them on the phone. Order modified and PP invoice in route.

What's interesting is even after the strut update I'ms still getting a little steering wheel shake (minimal) at around 70mph till 80. Not present at other speeds or during breaking.

At first i was thinking the new LGT breaks may be the culprit but not so sure just yet. Just as Rhitter and I were talking about I suspect more needs to be replaced and possibly rack and connecting rods are next.

Still loving the Namless Axle back. Because Race Car.

We went there too... Twice, two different shops.. Tires do have 38 or 40k on them.

Shop that helped install the suspension bits and align the car balanced again for good measure.

Only items left are steering rack related or hubs.

Or these parts from Raybestos are junk and not backing off properly. Still not clear yet.

Edit: Have the20216FA000 on order Heuberger to place the MovTec LCA. They didn't seem to enthused about invoicing me for the change.

They only had one of the 20216FA000 in stock.

Well see if this is the culprit.

Once these are off I'll have plenty of time to flips the bushings on the OEM LCA for next round. Have these in stock already.

So only thing left would be hubs, tie rod ends and steering rack.

Edited by kzr750r1

Question, if i put on spec b trailing arms with their front mount bracket, the wheels will be pulled forward in the wheel well at stock outback height, yeah?

Can you just swap the outback bracket on?

I've never seriously considered the parts.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *