LegacyGT.com

Noise from rear similar to cupped tires

Hi, my 2013 Legacy has been making a buzzing noise from the back that I thought was cupped tires. Changes with speed. I replaced the 1 year old tires with another brand that I like on two other cars but when driving away from the tire store the same sound was there! It is noticeable enough that people have asked me what it is after riding in the back. I am slow & easy on cornering and the alignment has been perfect. My original tires lasted 80,000 miles! Any ideas before I take it to a shop?

Side note I'm not a fan of these 17" low profile tires. There isn't any sidewall to flex. It is such a rough ride compared to my old Impala and LeSabre! I'm tempted to buy 16" used Legacy wheels, saw some 2011 ones listed locally for 65 each.

Oh, and dont bother chasing Impala/LeSabre ride on these, not gonna happen.

If your Legacy is a facelift ('13-up), you can get pre-facelift '10-'13 springs and dampers, which are softer. (Enabling level: pro :p)

Good luck getting that sorted and welcome to the forums!

I didn't get an alignment with the new tires and I didn't see any uneven wear on the previous 2 sets. I'm open to that being a problem because the roads are really bad and my wife doesn't avoid potholes! Sounds like a consensus on the wheel bearings so I'll try that first. I never thought of that. Thanks for the help!

Suspension- I remember one of the big selling points at the dealer was that the '13 suspension had a makeover. Well I can feel every crack and pebble! I still own the old impala and LeSabre so I get direct comparisons all the time.

• 2 weeks later...