LegacyGT.com

2.5i Front Swaybar Size

I've searched and searched and searched and apparently nobody has the figure for the front sway bar size on a 2.5i!

The AVO 2.5i Outback has bushings that say 20mm, but Paul used 21mm bushings. My bushings say 19mm, so I'm wondering if 20mm bushings will work on mine?

Is the swaybar really 1mm different between 05 Legacy and 05 Outback 2.5i? Can I do a +1 without it being loose?

The funny thing about bushings is that, especially with rubber ones, you can get away with approximate fitting. Subaru itself doesn't seem to be too concerned if there is a small gap in the bushing when they do use a smaller bushing than the bar size - and they definitely do such a thing.

Now, as for your bar, the only way you will know for *certain* the size is to go measure it. I've sold a lot of bushings, and the one thing I've found is that Subaru cannot resist the desire to "fiddle" with what parts they put on the cars. A 2005 Canadian Legacy 2.5i may have a 20mm, a 2005 USDM Legacy 2.5i might have a 19mm, and a 2005 JDM Legacy may have a 20.5mm bar. And even worse, a 2005 Legacy on the East coast from shipment A may have a 19mm and a 2005 Legacy on the West coast from shipment C may have a 20mm front bar.

In other words, when in doubt - measure. Twice.

Oh, and if it's a 20.5mm bar (like I suspect), use a 21mm bushing.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

I'm placing my wager on 19.5 or larger, but if it's exactly 19mm, you'll probably have to end up looking for either stuffing an 18mm around it, or getting a 20mm and making sure it's really tight.

To make it easier on you, I don't think you need to actually get under the car. If you turn the steering wheel to the extreme right or left, you can probably measure the swaybar inside the wheelwell.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Paul, if you or anyone else can read this micrometer reading I'll have an answer. I used to use these in school all the time, but never really got the knack of reading them...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/burnout8488/SNC00165.jpg

Got it. .786" or 19.96mm.

Looks like I've got myself a 20mm bar with 19mm bushings! 20mm polyurethane it is. :)

Edit: I just dug up an e-mail from fredbeans and you replied that you don't have any more 20mm in stock with no ETA :(

amazon has ENS (energy suspension) poly bushings for a good price. Type in energy 20mm, or 19mm, and so on. Try to measure the rest of the stock bushing to make sure the surround will fit accordingly. Using an undersized bushing (like 1mm smaller than the bar) can cause the grease to squirt out and cause it to squeak prematurely.

Hmmm. I would read that as just shy of 19mm, but I've never used one of those before.

I keep double checking with "how-to" websites and it seems like I'm measuring it right at .786in... but who knows. How did you come to just shy of 19?

amazon has ENS (energy suspension) poly bushings for a good price. Type in energy 20mm, or 19mm, and so on.

Ugh, 7 bucks and free shipping. I should've waited, I picked up the AVOs on subimods last night.

I keep double checking with "how-to" websites and it seems like I'm measuring it right at .786in... but who knows. How did you come to just shy of 19?

Well on the right side where the numbers wrap around, assuming the digit closest to the bottom of the image is a 10, you have 10 and 1 notch which is 11. And that lines up just shy of the 8 on the horizontal section. 11+8 = 19.

I could be completely wrong though. I'd need to see the device and use it to figure out how it works.

If I were you I'd just take a piece of string and measure around the bar then lay that flat on a tape to get the circumference. Then you can use that measurement and set it equal to 2 * pi * r . R is the radius so if you solve for that and then double it you can get a good estimate of the diameter of the bar.

Just got my AVO 20mms in today. Thanks Paul, your name was the return address! :D

They fit snug on the bar, with only a very veryyy small gap at the slit on the bushing. You were right, probably a 20.5mm bar. Still, they'll be perfect when they're mounted up.

Just make sure the bushings aren't super tight around the bar or else the grease will be forced out and it'll be sqeaking in no time. Especially with poly bushings, having any GAP can cause the bar to squirt the grease out from clunking around in there...unfortunately it comes down to having the exact size for the bar. With rubber bushings you can get away with a gap because you won't hear too much clunking due to the increased give of rubber vs poly. Time will tell.

It should be noted that I tested the bushing on the part of the bar in the wheelwell - it may not have been a totally straight portion. Plus the paint was a little bubbly. When I mount it up for real tomorrow, I'll sand it down a bit and get the area squeaky clean. I'm optimistic it'll be a perfect fit.

But - thanks for the advice. Now I know that if its even the slightest bit off to snag myself some 21s.

Archived