LegacyGT.com

Is 234k kms too many kms?

Shogun506

I'm looking at an 05 black limited 5spd sedan with some nice stage 2 mods that seems reasonably well taken care of. The only thing is it's currently still on its original engine and turbo at 233k kms. I'm thinking even the best maintained vehicles must be pretty close to a turbo replacement at this point? The guy said he also autocrossed it a couple of times over the last 2 years. He's asking 6500, I don't think I'd go above 5000. I know it's difficult to answer this question definitively but if the car was well maintained is it possible this turbo/engine will last much longer (another year/20k ish) or am I looking at a car that's going to need a turbo replacement soon?

For comparison sake, I bought my 05 GT Ltd wagon with 139,000 kms in November 2017 for $6500.

Personally, as long as the turbo doesn't have play and is working normally, I don't think mileage is the sole contributor in replacing it. If you are serious about it and they're willing to work on price, see if you can take it somewhere to have a compression test and PPI done.

As we all know, buying a vehicle at that age is a crapshoot. It could be fine for a few months and then BAM, you have a $3000 repair bill. :)

Is yours a manual or auto? If auto that price makes sense. If manual, interested in selling? If so PM me the details I've been looking for a replacement for my wagon since it died on me. As for the turbo mine went out at 233k on my last car and I hear that seems to be the time around which most of them will need a replacement that's why I ask.

234k is equal to 145mi. which shouldn't seem like much to our friends south of the boarder.

I cringe at any used turbo 4th Gen with over 125k miles and the original motor and turbo. Failures at 100k and below are becoming much more common too as some of those cars may have just as many hours of run time in city miles. I have been part of this forum long enough to see the monthly parade of new owners with blow motors and the local ad with 2005-2009 LGT/XT with blown motors. I am pretty sure the reason used LGT/OBXT EJ255 motors are so expensive is because of the demand for them.

You have had good luck with your 4th Gen's, obviously you were on top of the turbo failures before they cause any long term damage. Not every used car seller has taken that good of care of their vehicles.

If it's the original engine, wouldn't be surprised if it needed a refresh soon for things such as headgaskets, oil seals etc. Could get expensive fast.

I cringe at any used turbo 4th Gen with over 125k miles and the original motor and turbo. Failures at 100k and below are becoming much more common too as some of those cars may have just as many hours of run time in city miles. I have been part of this forum long enough to see the monthly parade of new owners with blow motors and the local ad with 2005-2009 LGT/XT with blown motors. I am pretty sure the reason used LGT/OBXT EJ255 motors are so expensive is because of the demand for them.

You have had good luck with your 4th Gen's, obviously you were on top of the turbo failures before they cause any long term damage. Not every used car seller has taken that good of care of their vehicles.

Yeah this is kind of my thought process as well.. With these higher mileage (over 200kms/125miles) I'm probably only going to look at the ones that have had some type of engine or turbo refresh/tune-up or are in exceptionally good shape. Autocrossing a high mileage engine gives me the willies so I'll pass this one up. Glad to have a pre-purchase section on this forum to bounce questions off of :)