LegacyGT.com

After 6 months a few things that bug me....

Just tried if it will automatically upshift when you don't touch the paddles in manual mode, and yes it will, once it hits redline.

Although it seems to "shift" more effectively compared to the "D" mode. Come to think maybe it's a left over from the old Gen4 days when you put the transmission into manual mode and didn't shift with the buttons it would be in "sport" and shift as fast as possible by itself. Just a theory...[emoji848]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Subaru cross bars are very similar to the Thule Aeroblade, but they are about 3/4-1" shorter in width.

Thanks for the information! When you said width, did you mean the green line I marked? If so, I think I'm okay with a shorter loading width. I used to carry 3 bike carriers on my Spec.B, but the older I got, the less I'm willing to deal with picking up too many people. So carrying 2 bikes is sufficient. Do the factory cross-bars have the channel/slot for X-Adapt (blue indicator)? All the Thule accessories' pictures on Subaru's website show a flush aluminum tube.

ACtC-3f4teRwnO43RJt6bb7uptr3q-uCmrIV8iiUiAvboqIySWDwwSUdXzYfUYIBl_xA6mqgxYOFzVcuOc2EyQ2ukESi7tWQ9HzOxyyloLaAjSMB85ZG_ffW00W_Dgy_HsfZEAe9SSwd1lRnJBd0CGnSfjTiDQ=w1002-h276-no?authuser=0

ACtC-3c0Dt1NpslBqWSjS0D_dsEUTiyLokrywrD8pZLaVsLtpmRoLrQ0XEPP6FVW71FOPnC4ZfJwVFoFlzwRn8-9WYvjL9y79wjdedyHiBuIAhN9q7HykmFb6Dj4kjW8Hxr3w72dnpdiV5xsThf7dvV2U0A0tA=w325-h247-no?authuser=0

I will give you my thoughts. I am coming from a 13 Legacy 3.6R, and before that I had an 05 2.5GT "Unlimited" [You should know what means], both with the 5EAT.

I really appreciate your feedback. Your points of reference and deltas have given me a pretty good sense of what I ought to expect from the Gen 7 Legacy. Maybe the marketing name change to XT instead of GT is to get us consumers to change our expectations? ;-)

If you did not know, Blackberry is responsible for the software on the infortainment system.

I knew the hardware was made by Denso, and assumed the software was made by TomTom because of the Navigation. But I didn't know the system software was made by Blackberry. Eh, they're still around? The only more surprising thing would be if you had told me it was made by Palm. ROTFL

TomTom's current navigation platform is Android based (I have their SatNav app on my phone, as well as a dedicated TomTom Rider 550), and I recognized it as soon as I first got into the Legacy. Even if Subaru/Denso can extend the Android Auto UI container height-wise, I'd still like to have two rectangular modules/sub-apps on top of each other, like any map app on top, and any audio app on the bottom. Or it doesn't even have to be within the same container, which I suspect is how Mazda implements theirs.

Regarding the TR690 transmission.../...Ask me how I know?.../...**The extended warranty does not apply if you had the tranmission changed!!

Doh! Sounds like you had a big ticket warranty claim done! I'm glad the replacement has turned out good for you so far. How many miles did the Ascent make it to before the TR690 replacement? And... I'd like to know how you knew the extended warranty is only good for 1 transmission change.

He later admitted he did not wash his new dyed jeans before wearing so...

OMG! I cannot bare the thought of wearing new clothes that have not been washed first. LOL I'm still surprised that the Subaru press Legacy had stains. I'll bet it wasn't from real journalists, but probably "content creators" or "social media influencers." :lol:

Just tried if it will automatically upshift when you don't touch the paddles in manual mode, and yes it will, once it hits redline.

Although it seems to "shift" more effectively compared to the "D" mode. Come to think maybe it's a left over from the old Gen4 days when you put the transmission into manual mode and didn't shift with the buttons it would be in "sport" and shift as fast as possible by itself. Just a theory...

I'm glad you were able to test and verify it! Earlier in the evening I went for another test drive and specifically tried this workaround. Supposedly you can lock in the ratio and you can gently speed up/down while maintaining the same ratio. Sometimes it works with the rev not going within a range of 1,000 RPM up/down from the ratio when I engaged M mode, but sometimes it still revs up to 5,500 RPM and won't faux shift. I understand it's needed for a standing start or hurriedly passing. Or maybe I misunderstood others when they mentioned ratio locking. Again, I'm still new to driving a CVT. Throughout my test drives, I had RLLS (Restless Left Leg Syndrome).

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback. As always, it is greatly appreciated.

With tonight's test drive, I have a couple new gripes to add:

1. I'm one of those drivers who always turn the instrument brightness to the lowest possible setting when driving at night. (I never understood why there are drivers who like to see all the bright, beautiful colors from the cluster and dash in its 100% brightness, which is essentially making them drive blinder in the dark.) When the center touch screen brightness is set to automatically match the illumination brightness control, the TomTom navigation night mode makes it impossible to see any street names or street outlines (in North up, overall view). Even squinting didn't help. I had to either dial up the illumination brightness control in the lower left dash much higher (which blinds me with the bright instrument cluster), or I had to turn off the automatic match setting and get the touch screen's brightness to between -2 and 0. That is strange. If I keep that setting, as soon as I exit the TomTom map and let's say start up the in-car radio app, bam! I'm blinded by touch screen's brightness! It was really hard to deal with, and I can't imagine constantly changing the brightness per app. [Example below is a little bit inaccurate, because as soon as I turn on the headlights and TomTom switches to night mode, my camera was pretty quick to adjust the f-stop and ISO very quickly. It's a lot darker in real life. I suspect this may be a TomTom issue.ACtC-3d20HmKrfSVW6PGOMFKb3wXUATnjUc5BV0j99_8fxsn7emrPekQwaVuV0O9e9fxMqbEAwn6fGR_d48vOAie9qIxt54hcGAlzHu7Rza0uSUwcknX0k50c4w1TUJZStQuRsCbSyvQJTSrG5GDsziBSeDv_A=w981-h1308-no?authuser=0
  2. Not sure if this behavior is true for either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, or just the latter, but if you have the USB connected and Android Auto engaged, going to Subaru's own Phonebook won't bring up your contacts in the Subaru system with large big fonts and filling out the big screen. Instead, it launches the Contacts submodule inside the boxed-in rectangle of Android Auto. Which has small fonts, and display a listing of 3 contacts per scroll. I don't suspect this is an issue with Apple CarPlay if the overall Apple CarPlay UI container is stretched, but this can't possibly be safe?
  3. This is quite an interesting one, as it is inconsistent. Let's say I start the Legacy up, and then I set my music to Subaru's built-in Sirius XM. Audio is fine. As soon as I plug in the USB to my phone, the built-in Sirius XM audio level is lowered and faded into background, even though I have no music from my phone that's playing. You know how sometimes when Google Maps announce a navigation step, and your car's other audio is lowered? Like that. I couldn't figure out what was causing this issue, so as soon as I unplug the phone, the built-in music level returns. So I tried shutting down the Legacy, and restarted it. I could never reproduce this problem. Anyone else experience this before?

I really appreciate your feedback. Your points of reference and deltas have given me a pretty good sense of what I ought to expect from the Gen 7 Legacy. Maybe the marketing name change to XT instead of GT is to get us consumers to change our expectations? ;-)

I remember reading C&D complain how much roll was in the 05 GTs and Subaru fixed that was the Spec B. Had I known a Spec B was coming out, I would have waited a year... If you lived in Canada, the XTs are still called GTs.

I knew the hardware was made by Denso, and assumed the software was made by TomTom because of the Navigation. But I didn't know the system software was made by Blackberry. Eh, they're still around? The only more surprising thing would be if you had told me it was made by Palm. ROTFL

Some light reading...

https://www.denso.com/global/en/news/newsroom/2019/20190911-g01/

TomTom's current navigation platform is Android based (I have their SatNav app on my phone, as well as a dedicated TomTom Rider 550), and I recognized it as soon as I first got into the Legacy. Even if Subaru/Denso can extend the Android Auto UI container height-wise, I'd still like to have two rectangular modules/sub-apps on top of each other, like any map app on top, and any audio app on the bottom. Or it doesn't even have to be within the same container, which I suspect is how Mazda implements theirs.

Doh! Sounds like you had a big ticket warranty claim done! I'm glad the replacement has turned out good for you so far. How many miles did the Ascent make it to before the TR690 replacement? And... I'd like to know how you knew the extended warranty is only good for 1 transmission change.

I think I had about 7600 miles when it went bad, and the Ascent was only 1 year old. SOA mailed me a letter.

OMG! I cannot bare the thought of wearing new clothes that have not been washed first. LOL I'm still surprised that the Subaru press Legacy had stains. I'll bet it wasn't from real journalists, but probably "content creators" or "social media influencers." :lol:

I never looked at my friend the same way... "Dude, do you know how many people tried on those jeans?..."

I don't think I had an issue with the brightness, but I have never used my TomTom maps yet. Did you check the interior brightness roller on the left side of the car? It should not be on the max brightness, but one step below that to so the system will auto adjust the brightness.

I don't think I ever experience that with the CD player or the FM radio when using AA. If you encounter that again, try to reboot the radio without restarting the car. Just hold down the volume/mute knob for 10 seconds. Release when you see the Starlink. It is the same as my Ascent.

This thread has inspired me to find some things that annoy me about my Legacy.

1. The front facing camera for the Touring. While it is a nice feature to have, the implementation is not as good as it is on the Ascent. On the Ascent you can have both cameras running at the same time thanks in part to Ascent's 2 screen layout. In addition, on the Ascent, when you shift from reverse to drive, it will turn on the front camera for a few seconds so you can check on the front before moving forward. With the Legacy, you think that could fit both camera views on to the main display. Also the position of the front camera button is pretty awkward spot. I think it should have been placed up high on the opposite side of the hazard lights/

2. Android Auto - 1/2 screen size. I agree with everyone else, it sucks.

3. Heated/Vented seat controls/button layout. You know it is poor design when you require so many pushes for a high use setting. There is all that real-estate on the display, but you limit a 4 state button (High, Med, Low, Off) to one button that requires up to 3 pushes to get to the next to last state. (3 clicks for Low setting). That is not counting the click to get to the controls. Blackberry, did you not learn UI design from your phone development?

I have no complaints about my Touring XT’s drive ability. I only punch it when passing, and the cruise control speeds up nicely on its own. To me the CVT is unnoticed and I find the drivetrain at 12,000 miles very smooth.

Nappa leather looks great, no wrinkles or stains. I have not cleaned or conditioned.

Car still feels new. Doors are like bank vaults. Trunk lid, not so much. Very light and flimsy. About 1/2 the time I open it, it bounces back down and shuts again.

So this crap happened today. Add it to my list of annoyances. This guy was 5 car lengths in front of me. I was doing 42-46mph. Whip lashed my neck b/c I wasn't expecting this especially b/c I hit the accelerator pedal to go to the let lane and get out of the way. Nope, car had something totally different in mind.

and i am just making a playlist of all the annoying things. Here are two rattles you guys may come across due to cost cutting and poor quality.

One is an air vent director tube behind the glove box below the dash. The other is the wire connecting the smart mirror. I thought the later was coming from below the dash, but it was this stupid smart mirror wire. 10 cents worth of foam fixed both these issues.

I officially regret this car at this point. I have to drive it like an 80 year old. It has good power, some good options, but screams too much government control for my liking. I can't just go out and drive and have fun without some "safety" thing going off and in the case above... for no damn reason. Literally tired of the brakes locking up every time someone merges into traffic.

Oh, side note, buddy of mine who has 17K miles on his started to have his upper oil pan leak. Second time this has happened to him. He sold his accent b/c it happened and now it happened a year later on his new legacy. They gotta pull the engine to fix it.

Edited by bms231

I knew the hardware was made by Denso ... But I didn't know the system software was made by Blackberry. ... The only more surprising thing would be if you had told me it was made by Palm.

The QNX operating system at the heart of the Denso/Blackberry system has been around for more than 30 years. I haven't worked with it recently, but it used to be the best operating system available with a true real-time kernel and a UNIX/POSIX-like application interface ... with a price to match. Various flavors of QNX are invisibly embedded in dozens (if not hundreds) of high-tech device designs. In this case, old (and stable) is not necessarily bad.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So this crap happened today. Add it to my list of annoyances. This guy was 5 car lengths in front of me... Here are two rattles you guys may come across due to cost cutting and poor quality.

One is an air vent director tube behind the glove box below the dash. The other is the wire connecting the smart mirror. I thought the later was coming from below the dash, but it was this stupid smart mirror wire. 10 cents worth of foam fixed both these

Oh, side note, buddy of mine who has 17K miles on his started to have his upper oil pan leak. Second time this has happened to him. He sold his accent b/c it happened and now it happened a year later on his new legacy. They gotta pull the engine to fix it.

So far on my wife’s Onyx, manufactured December 2019, 11,000 miles, no rattles, no CVT whine, and only one significant complaint. Now that she’s had the 380 software update she is actually turning off Start/Stop frequently, she refused to do so before. With my July 2020 Legacy Limited XT, 1800 miles, no rattles and no CVT whine. The Legacy is the quietest vehicle I’ve ever driven.

I have encountered the collision avoidance function and it has usually involved a car ahead of me turning and my not easing off the accelerator and not braking because I could tell the car would be out of the way by the time I reached his location before the turn. But they’ve been very brief instances of brake application and not jarring. If I have let off the accelerator it doesn’t occur. The only other times I’ve seen it engage is when a driver cuts into my lane a little too close for safety. Usually in that instance my foot is heading to the brake pedal anyway so I coincide with the car’s system.

If I were distracted by something or just not looking where these cars were this function would be very appreciated. Especially if a teenager or elder adult were driving the vehicles. The only time it disturbed me was when I was cresting a hill on a road with many trees very close to the edge and one had branches that reached out over the road. I’m assuming that the angle of the car as i went up the slope and the position of those branches combined to make the eyesight system think I was headed into the branches. The braking was unexpected and jarring, I thought the engine had seized and was looking for a spot to pull off. I saw a warning flash on the gauge cluster screen but I was busy looking for a pull off and wasn’t able to read it. But it released fairly quickly and I continued on.

The one serious complaint my wife and I have, about her car, is that the center control unit is very slow on hers. In discussions with others, Subaru changed the hardware around July so I fortunately got a faster system. It’s no speed demon by any means but is noticeably faster in almost all functions than my wife’s. Those who had their units replaced because of bricking by the botched over the air software update were actually done a favor. One serious example of the difference is doing the usb map updates. On my car, using the same usb drive with the same map data, it takes only about 25 minutes or so to install. On my wife’s car it takes 90 minutes. Fortunately that’s not an every day issue. Otherwise we love the cars. We came from an ‘05 Outback XT for my wife and an ‘06 Legacy GT for me. We are very happy.

updated the first post w/ some images of the horrible panel gaps. i literally just noticed. not sure if it was always this way or what. 5mm difference side to side is huge.
With those gaps you must of gotten a Monday car or something, definitely not normal. That would be unacceptable for me. Also your 6 second claim is very odd, even in let's say -10 degrees Celsius weather mine does the change much quicker than that.

We have some colder weather coming up so it'll be interesting. Also no rattles on mine, it's 10/19 build date and Canadian, maybe those cars were built to a better spec then the American ones. There is some differences I've noticed from reviews.

I picked up my Legacy GT Premier (XT in the USA) in October so I haven't had as much time to experience some of the issues that everyone else has.

So far no CVT chirp on my end. I haven't experienced the CVT searching for gears as I am mostly in the city so starting and stopping are quite common. It did take some time for me to adjust to the auto start/stop as it is often inconsistent when it will engage regardless of how far I press the brake pedal. I have gotten used to it and it does not bother me anymore.

The head unit can lag at times especially the first few minutes when you start the car. I noticed that it seems to pause all media except for radio even though it has recognized me as the driver. I prefer physical buttons for climate control as well as heated/ventilated seats.

The eyesight can be quite aggressive so I have turned of lane monitoring. It does tend to freak out often when a car up front pulls out of a side street even though there is plenty of time for me to brake. This is something that you just have to get used to.

I knew what I was getting into when I purchased this vehicle so many of the annoyances are not deal breakers for me. I used to have a 07 Legacy GT which was a blast but now as I get older, I actually like the quiet smooth ride more. The car has plenty of power and the interior is still the best I have seen in a Subaru. I would recommend a WRX if you want to have more fun in a Subaru.

With those gaps you must of gotten a Monday car or something, definitely not normal. That would be unacceptable for me. Also your 6 second claim is very odd, even in let's say -10 degrees Celsius weather mine does the change much quicker than that.

We have some colder weather coming up so it'll be interesting. Also no rattles on mine, it's 10/19 build date and Canadian, maybe those cars were built to a better spec then the American ones. There is some differences I've noticed from reviews.

totally agree on the Monday car. had to have an alignment at 184 miles bc toe was so far out of spec the road noise was unbearable above 60.

side note called Subaru and they said they will take my feedback into consideration.in short tough shit.

updated the first post w/ some images of the horrible panel gaps. i literally just noticed. not sure if it was always this way or what. 5mm difference side to side is huge.

What is your build date? Regarding your panel gap pictures, mine (Built March '20) has had the sunroof adjusted. The front left corner was 3 mm higher than the other corners.

The chrome moulding on the upper edge of the driver's door sits maybe 1mm lower than the back door's at the B pillar, but i'm tolerating it... Did you notice if those black plastic mouldings are well glued to their rubber edge on the B and C pillar?

The only issue I had with my Legacy Limited XT was marks on the trunk lid from the factory. I suspect this occurred when they placed the trunk spoiler. The marks were parallel about 2 inches in length. On my Slica black finish they are very difficult to see but when I did notice them, the first or second day I had the car, it was a special order and had just been delivered , I was upset.

The options such as repainting the trunk lid or swapping it for another did not appeal to me since you had to know exactly where they were and look from the right angle to even be able to see them. Subaru issued me a $500 coupon for parts and service and the dealer covered 3 oil changes and tire rotations for free. So I’m happy. And no squeaks, whines, rattles or any other issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the feedback collection in this thread. I thought my choices were the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature or the 2021 Subaru Legacy Touring XT, but tonight I ended up purchasing neither. Got myself a terrific deal with an Acura.

My Subaru salesperson was awesome and patient with me, letting me take the Subaru on many test drives to see and feel all the pain points others have experienced, as well as the ones I've noticed myself.

I really had high hopes of coming back to the Subaru fold with the 13.74% discount off of MSRP I negotiated, but unfortunately the Acura deal I negotiated was insanely good that I went that way.

Don't write me off just yet. I might pick up a used BRZ for autocross, which has been on my mind for several years now.

Keep up the awesome contributions to this forum!

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the feedback collection in this thread. I thought my choices were the 2021 Mazda CX-5 Signature or the 2021 Subaru Legacy Touring XT, but tonight I ended up purchasing neither. Got myself a terrific deal with an Acura.

My Subaru salesperson was awesome and patient with me, letting me take the Subaru on many test drives to see and feel all the pain points others have experienced, as well as the ones I've noticed myself.

I really had high hopes of coming back to the Subaru fold with the 13.74% discount off of MSRP I negotiated, but unfortunately the Acura deal I negotiated was insanely good that I went that way.

Don't write me off just yet. I might pick up a used BRZ for autocross, which has been on my mind for several years now.

Keep up the awesome contributions to this forum!

===================

Which Acura

I might have that same rattle. Something on my passenger side rattles. Seems to come from the dash area or possibly pillar/door. Oddly enough it seems worse if someone is sitting over there. It is also tough for the person sitting on the passenger side to hear/pinpoint but super annoying from the driver seat. What did you have to remove to access that area?

just had to remove the glove box. super easy. open it and disconnect the piston on the right then squeeze the sides together and it will drop down and out.

• 2 weeks later...

1 year and 12k miles in I’ve noticed a few things as well:

1. Anyone noticed that the traction control (vehicle dynamics control) still seems to kick in, even when it is turned off, when you start to lose traction?

2. Since day one every time I wash the car the drivers side taillight gets condensation in it. The service manager at the dealer didn’t seem to think this would be covered by the warranty, and they couldn’t find a crack.. not sure how thoroughly they looked though. I plan to remove it and take a look for myself once winter passes.

8bd979064f8dfa1af30456675f2340d7.jpg

3. The infotainment system is still a little buggy even with the latest update. I’m sure this will get better with time/development.

I came to expect these little issues with the car being that it is the first year of a new generation with a big redesign. Overall very happy with the car so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 year and 12k miles in I’ve noticed a few things as well:

1. Anyone noticed that the traction control (vehicle dynamics control) still seems to kick in, even when it is turned off, when you start to lose traction?

2. Since day one every time I wash the car the drivers side taillight gets condensation in it. The service manager at the dealer didn’t seem to think this would be covered by the warranty, and they couldn’t find a crack.. not sure how thoroughly they looked though. I plan to remove it and take a look for myself once winter passes.

8bd979064f8dfa1af30456675f2340d7.jpg

3. The infotainment system is still a little buggy even with the latest update. I’m sure this will get better with time/development.

I came to expect these little issues with the car being that it is the first year of a new generation with a big redesign. Overall very happy with the car so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of annoying that the traction control is still kind off on, yes. I have managed some snow drifts but it always interferes after a bit. Works the best on ice where it's overpowered haha.

From my research, you have to pull a relay in the engine bay to disable the whole system. It results in your dash being lit up like a Xmas tree but you can drift.

I haven't noticed any condensation in my lights but on my sister in law's brand new Honda CRV it has condensation like yours. Usually it's not from cracks but from the lens sealant letting in some moisture. You can also check if all the bulb holders sit flush and completely locked.

• 2 weeks later...
All of the reasons that why as much as I get tired of working on my old car, I will never in a million years buy a brand new car... You figure if you buy a new machine you wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of nonsense, but then you realize new cars are not "machines" anymore, they're obnoxious plastic computers (full of technology that no one asked for) that are prone to such "glitches". Too bad really. When I was younger I always dreamed of the day I could buy a brand new car and drive hassle free, and now that I could easily afford one I have to stick with my 15 year old car because it seems like less of a hassle...

I have the 2018 3.6r. It's about to hit the 3 year mark. Bought it brand new.

I was one of the first owners in 04 in my city to own the 05 GT. Loved the car. It's my favorite legacy. However, this newer Legacy has not had a single problem...not even glitches.

The technology of this 3.6r legacy is what makes this car light years ahead of my old GT. There were all kinds of paint chips (your cubby door) around the trim and leather worn easily in my old GT legacy at 3 years old not to mention the exterior paint. 3 years into the 3.6r and my car still looks new. The performance is where my GT shined especially @ stage 2 plus other small mods and a pro tune. But even at a stage 2 GT, the 3.6r is a better cruiser on the highway and more comfortable.

So my current legacy to me has not been an "obnoxious plastic computers (full of technology that no one asked for) that are prone to such "glitches". "

It's been an evolution to a better made car without the GT turbo.

Now when I do get that turbo urge, I'm fortunate to own a 11 WRX ltd. I use that car on the weekends while my currently legacy is my daily.

To each their own. Sounds like your legacy has been holding up well.

Edited by phuzaxeman

As a previous owner of an ‘06 Legacy GT and now the proud owner of a 2020 Legacy XT I believe he would be very happy as I am. Performance, style, and comfort are just as good and better (comfort) than my ‘06. Computerization, yeah there are annoyances - an issue with every currently made vehicle. You can avoid that by buying a used car, but I chose not to. In every review and forum of comparable vehicles I’ve read the same complaints - the specific systems mentioned vary but the complaints are similar.

I kept my ‘06 because there wasn’t a suitable vehicle equal to it until this Legacy was released. Subaru hit a home run with it. Could some things be done better, uh...that’s a yes for every vehicle made. The only vehicles that would have given me what I wanted and everything I have in this Legacy would have cost at least $5000 more than I paid and I’m skeptical that I would be any more satisfied.