LegacyGT.com

Wife's 2015 OB 2.5 is consuming oil

My wife and I bought a one owner 2015 OB 2.5 in 2017 with 20,000 miles. Over the course of our ownership, we have noticed oil being consumed in between oil changes at 4,750 (0W20) mile interval by our Subaru dealership.

Now we have seen oil get low and the oil light come and before knowing what was happening, so now being proactive I check the oil in between oil changes and we are definitely losing oil. Current mileage is 51,500.

With all the covid-19 stuff going on, I had forgotten to check the oil in the 2.5 OB until yesterday. 3 months and 2,600 miles later with the engine cold and the car level and not on an angle. the dipstick was dry with the exception of the tip of the dip stick and maybe an 1/8 of an inch after that.

Should I go to the dealership and ask for a replacement engine under the recall or do I need to do the oil consumption song and dance every 1,200 miles for the next 2,400-3,600 miles?

Thanks,

Drew aka GFINE

You have to have the consumption test performed. Also, when the oil is filled be sure you go with the advisor and check the oil level before you leave, there have been reports of overfilled engines.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You have to have the consumption test performed. Also, when the oil is filled be sure you go with the advisor and check the oil level before you leave, there have been reports of overfilled engines.

much appreciated

I have a 2013 Legacy with the 2.5i and it started to burn oil at arond 80k miles (now at 89k miles). My family decided to contact the Subaru headquarters and essentially try to get their attention any way possible. They are now going to be repairing my engine free of charge since they know it is a defect. I linked the forum below. An engine with only 51k miles should NOT be burning oil.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-needs-re-seal-according-dealeriii-282368.html

But losing 2 quarts every 6k miles is not normal.
Actually that is within specifications in the owners manual, iirc. And those specs arent subaru specific, nearly all automakers have a liberal spec for oil consumption.

But losing 2 quarts every 6k miles is not normal.

2 quarts over 6000 miles is not an outrage that it burns that much oil. My Outback burns that much oil. Yeah it would be great if I didn't have to add 1 quart oil every oil change, but I am not upset, replacing the motor or selling the car over it. My 85 Toyota Supra burned/leak 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles when I 1st bought it with 92k miles, it was burning 1 quarts every gas fill up by the time I replaced the motor 2 years later, that is not normal.

I think your going to be disappointed with pretty much any car if your upset by spending an extra $10/year in maintenance.

Edited by dgoodhue

Out of four EJs over the last 30 years, 3/4 burned .5-1qt of oil per 1k miles.

I had one that burned almost none...

I almost kept that engine when I sold the car.

I've read that BMW and Audi are even worse and say 1qt over 750 miles is ok.

This is crazy to read. I just bought a used 2.5 GT with 160,000 miles on it and it hasn't been burning ANY oil. I've actually kind of been blown away that this motor isn't burning oil. I've put 1500 since my last oil change and it hasn't gone down even a little bit.

Note: You might want to replace your PCV valve.

So I took my wife's Outback to the dealer ship this past Tuesday and should them the original Oil Consumption test from 3 months and 2,500 miles ago....I was told not to come back until my low oil warning light comes on....which i imagine is gonna be at 3,000 miles.

Cannot wait for that battle in the next 3-4 months

So I took my wife's Outback to the dealer ship this past Tuesday and should them the original Oil Consumption test from 3 months and 2,500 miles ago....I was told not to come back until my low oil warning light comes on....which i imagine is gonna be at 3,000 miles.

Cannot wait for that battle in the next 3-4 months

Make sure you video it. You need to have as much evidence as possible.

Wait a second. They told you to wait till the low oil light comes on? Isn't it extremely bad for the engine to be run that low???

The 5th Gen's have a low oil level light for when its about a 1 quart down. The 4th Gen oil light, I think is a low oil pressure light which really bad to see.

Lol, that's something I think might be possible. When I bought mine as second owner from the Subaru dealership, the level on the dipstick was definitely over the full mark. The salesman tried saying the dealership had replaced it and tried to write it off that I wasn't reading it right or I checked on a flat surface. Maybe that's part of dealer protocol. 0w20 might be useful to improve fuel economy and used it for marketing purposes. If I was out of warranty, I'd experiment using different weight oil and just keep away from the brands that don't agree with Subaru boxer engines. If I was under warranty, I'd drain a bit out before they finished their consumption test to make it fail. I don't see how they consider oil consumption normal on a newer engine that hasn't become loose.as some do, when they get older. I'd ask them if Porsche has a consumption test on their boxer engines too and see what they say.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lol, that's something I think might be possible. When I bought mine as second owner from the Subaru dealership, the level on the dipstick was definitely over the full mark. The salesman tried saying the dealership had replaced it and tried to write it off that I wasn't reading it right or I checked on a flat surface. Maybe that's part of dealer protocol. 0w20 might be useful to improve fuel economy and used it for marketing purposes. If I was out of warranty, I'd experiment using different weight oil and just keep away from the brands that don't agree with Subaru boxer engines. If I was under warranty, I'd drain a bit out before they finished their consumption test to make it fail. I don't see how they consider oil consumption normal on a newer engine that hasn't become loose.as some do, when they get older. I'd ask them if Porsche has a consumption test on their boxer engines too and see what they say.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken the mark the drain plug, fill cap, as well as dipstick before you leave to show if anything was tampered with.