LegacyGT.com

How was your legacy after a new Torque Converter?

Hey guys. Wish i had a better first post..

I bought my legacy last year as per advice of a buddy of mine. I wanted a Charger, but, after seeing his GF's legacy, the all wheel drive, and finding one privately at a decent price, i bought my first non-american car. I mean i know they're assembled here...

Shes been great! Beast in the snow (with proper tires) Done the interval maintenance. 2 sets of wheels that look pretty nice

About a month ago, she started stuttering as i was decelerating. Initially i thought maybe it was brakes, which the pads needed changing so i did those.

Last week I'm leaving my house to head to a customers facility some 70 miles away, and she stalls out at a stop sign. I limped her to my destination. Did what i had to do and went home. The last 14 miles felt like they were completely uphill. Fuel economy in the toilet. RPM's didn't want to go higher than 2k.

Immediately called my closest Subaru dealer. They said "ah. Software update. Bring er in" So the next day i did. I received the phone call i was dreading on Monday: Torque Converter is shot. ~1900$. A 2012 legacy 116K miles! I was told they had one sitting there and they'd install it and it could possibly be ready by the end of Monday. Well here it is weds and still no subie. Thankfully i have a loaner. But sheesh! You should see some of the clunkers i've had over the years with way higher miles that never had anything this bad happen.

Now I'm curious, when i do get her back, is that the end of my TC/Transmission problems? Ive read many others had to go through this. Curious how the car behaved afterwards.

I haven't called subaru corporate yet. Plan on doing it as soon as shes done. The fact they released a TSB tell's me they're aware of the problem.

I will say the dealership has been mostly pleasant with me. Glad to have the loaner. I'm just seriously questioning the reliability now. I guess i can be thankful that i made it to and from the jobsite, AND it wasn't the middle of winter.

I know others have had to go through this. How was your Subie afterward?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its the 2.5i 4 banger with CVT

How does it drive?

Well. The first couple hundred miles were fantastic. I got it from the dealer...she had no gas, didnt want to start, and every channel on my radio was set to country. Fine. I looked past all that and once i got gas in her, hey! This was the car i bought! Even did a long 80 mile drive each way the weekend i got her back.

But guess what? The problem is coming back. Started when i'd let it cost from 40mph to 35mph. Now, its back to just before i stop while braking.

Now if i drop her in neutral and begin brakin: smooth to a stop.

After what i just spent, THIS is what happens?!

I asked the dealer about a warranty. They said 1 year on the Tc.

Seriously? Maybe i should have them fix it again under their warranty. Then go trade it in.

If the dealer did not use an updated TC with updated bearings (IIRC the issue was with shitty bearings that the updated to needle bearings???) and just used one they had, it might have been the old design/PN and not the updated PN torque converter.

Archived