LegacyGT.com

Oil leak at turbo

Don't know if it matters but....this occurred right after I changed the uppipe. And this car is on it's 2nd turbo. Might need a new one but hoping that it's just a leak from a gasket or bolt or gap in housing from not tightening enough. New turbo is usually what it comes down to though. Just wondering if anyone had this happen and it not need a new turbo...

Had a friend look at it, says same thing happened to his new turbo and that I need to out silicone around washers atop oil feed....

NONONONONONONONONON:spin:

Silicone is a good way to really need a turbo. Just spend the two dollars and get the actual gaskets.

Has someone checked the transmission recently or put fluid in the transmission? The oil on the exhaust housing looks like it came right from the trans dipstick as it's perfectly in line with it.

+1 on get new copper washers for the banjo bolt. For the couple of bucks, change them anyway as it's easy insurance for any leakage that could be coming around there. Your banjo bolt on the top of your turbo also is not the correct one. The bolts with the bump in the top of them indicate that there is a filter in that particular bolt. Did you change a turbo or the line and mix up the bolts?

Has someone checked the transmission recently or put fluid in the transmission? The oil on the exhaust housing looks like it came right from the trans dipstick as it's perfectly in line with it.

+1 on get new copper washers for the banjo bolt. For the couple of bucks, change them anyway as it's easy insurance for any leakage that could be coming around there. Your banjo bolt on the top of your turbo also is not the correct one. The bolts with the bump in the top of them indicate that there is a filter in that particular bolt. Did you change a turbo or the line and mix up the bolts?

the wet spot to the right of the turbo is the spot that is causing issue. The one to the left is water from last night's rain I think...

I got the car with 97k and it now has 105k. I'm the 6th owner but the guy I bought it from said it had the turbo replaced for as much as that's worth. I didn't notice the bolts were different I guess because I didn't realize it's supposed to look different.

Small and skinny are copper=soft so that they can crush and form to the surfaces to seal. If you put steel washers on those points, you'll have oil squirting out from there.

That actually is the correct banjo bolt-can tell from the size of the holes in the sides. Odd that it has the bump on the top.

yea the washers aren't thin enough or malleable as copper. I tightened em and hopefully that will work before I have to mess with silicone. It doesn't look like there's much of a margin of error for silicone to not get into the hole.

Is there supposed to be a plug on the end of this other hole w/ the lime-green color?

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/nickat916/Mobile%20Uploads/19AF490E-776D-4915-8670-AE4D232B9FB0_zpsfttcjmnf.jpg

Are those washers used with the banjo bolt? That doesn't seem right at all. Only the copper rings are supposed to be used if I recall. That's probably why your leaking, get new copper rings. The bottom right ring in picture looks absolutely horrible!!

Yes, order the copper washers (2) for the banjo bolt. And the oil on the left side, as Max mention, looks like tranny fluid from the dip stick.

Replace the washers and clean the turbo, then lets see what it does in a week.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Get the OEM washers from the dealer, they are odd size, not easy to find at the auto parts store.

Unless your good with searching on line, just go to the dealer parts guy's.

Another idea is to heat them with a torch but you better just get new ones.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Get the OEM washers from the dealer, they are odd size, not easy to find at the auto parts store.

Unless your good with searching on line, just go to the dealer parts guy's.

Another idea is to heat them with a torch but you better just get new ones.

Yes....you can re-anneal (soften) them by using a torch and turning them just red and then letting them cool down on their own until cold before reusing them. It works fine if you have a torch and are a cheapass...LOL...:lol:

Archived