LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm planning on putting in my new suspension this weekend and I'm debating on either using the existing strut mounts or buying new ones. I wont have any use for the old suspension anymore so I figured as long as I don't see any cracks or visible stress in the current mount components I would just transfer them to the new coilovers.

The stock setup has about 55K miles on it right now so I should have plenty of life left in them but I have never changed the suspension on a Subaru before so any insight is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Would there be a difference between suspension parts between the 2010 GT and 3.6R? I have 130,000 miles on my 3.6R and I need to upgrade the suspension because it's very noisy and the ride is soft but I don't know what to do. I want to start off with new shocks and stiffer springs but I don't know which ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT and 3.6R dont have a difference but there is a difference between the 2010 and 2014+ springs. The newer stock springs from subaru are slightly stiffer and dont lower the car. I've seen lots of recommendations on the Bilsteins to go with the stock springs.

There are a LOT of options out there and anything you see for the GT will suffice for the 3.6R

GT and 3.6R dont have a difference but there is a difference between the 2010 and 2014+ springs. The newer stock springs from subaru are slightly stiffer and dont lower the car. I've seen lots of recommendations on the Bilsteins to go with the stock springs.

There are a LOT of options out there and anything you see for the GT will suffice for the 3.6R

It was 2013+ that got a slightly stiffer suspension...supposedly.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I went with 2013/2014 3.6R springs on my GT with Bilsteins.

Front: 20330AJ10A http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Legacy36L-5AT-4WD/COIL-SPRING-FRONT/49229664/20330AJ10A.html

Rear: 20380AJ10A http://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2014_Legacy36L-5AT-4WD/COIL-SPRING-REAR/49230090/20380AJ10A.html

Edited by brandon.mol

Easiest, least expensive thing is these. Max with these would be about 1.25". Anything more, as Fred mentions below, is going to get expensive.

http://get-primitive.com/spacers/262-lift-spacers.html

Edited by GTEASER

How can I safely add a couple of inches of ground clearance on my 2010 Legacy 3.6?

I often scrape and sometimes high center on back country roads and love my car, I dont necessarily want to trade for an outback, but that ground clearance is what I need.

Outback struts and springs.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I'm wondering if you could put taller tires on to raise the clearance. I found lots of threads with people who ran 235/50r18, does anyone know if larger could be run without rubbing or hitting the struts? perhaps with wheel spacers?

So what happens if I put WRX STI shocks and struts on the legacy 3.6?

I'm wondering if you could put taller tires on to raise the clearance. I found lots of threads with people who ran 235/50r18, does anyone know if larger could be run without rubbing or hitting the struts? perhaps with wheel spacers?

WRX struts have the front spring perch mounted 1/2" lower on the strut body than the Legacy struts.

You're not gonna gain much ground clear with a 1/2" taller tire because you're gonna start hitting the spring perch, unless you go with vastly lower offset wheels, and then you gotta worry about the fenders.

Well 235/55r18's would increase sidewall by ~1.1 inches and combined with the Subtle 1" strut spacer kit it might be nice. It also might avoid having to go to suspension hell just to get the alignment.

Maybe I will just put on the 25mm spacers and see if I can convince the guy at Discount to put on the bigger tires and see if they fit.

How can I safely add a couple of inches of ground clearance on my 2010 Legacy 3.6?

I often scrape and sometimes high center on back country roads and love my car, I dont necessarily want to trade for an outback, but that ground clearance is what I need.

Also keep in mind you're likely scraping in part due to the uber soft OEM suspension... If you start investing more $, perhaps Konis + 20123 springs would help the cause.

Edited by bigstrusk