LegacyGT.com

Why Buy a Subaru Legacy?

I read about all the troubles with CVT transmissions, leaking head gaskets, and other problems. It appears that Subaru is a very unreliable vehicle. I have a 2010 Legacy with 95K miles and worried I need to sell it before spending $8K on a new transmission which is more that the car is worth. Why does Subaru have such a strong following when it appears the cars are not that great on quality and reliability? Just trying to figure if I need to sell before I am sorry.

1. You aren't reading about the hundreds of thousands or millions of people who drive their legacy everyday with out an issue whatsoever.

2. People with problems are more vocal on the internet than anywhere else.

3. While the CVT did have issues for some people Subaru has done a pretty good job of keeping its customers satisfied with repair help and extended warranties.

4. Even at its prime the CVT failure rate was still in the single digits percentage wise.

5. Vehicle reliability is directly proportional to the amount of required maintenance performed. Most failures outside of this are exceedingly rare and usually covered by either a warranty or recall. So your vehicles reliability is better assessed by the person who is responsible for its upkeep than a group of strangers on the internet.

6. As with any vehicle, age needs to be considered when planning for future maintenance, I would consider increasing the coolant change frequency and using coolant conditioner as well. This should mitigate potential headgasket issues.

7. Assuming you haven't had the service done yet, you will be due for a timing belt soon, which should include all the oem idlers, pulleys, and tensioner as well as the timing belt and water pump, and thermostat since it has to come out anyway and is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the work and parts.

In 2010 Subaru changed the 2.5i EJ253 head gasket material to MLS so leaking head gaskets should not be an issues like 2009 and prior engine. Subaru changed the engine to fix the common blown head gaskets issues. With 2010's now being 9 years, old if leaking head gaskets were an issue, they would have started showing up by now.

Some numbers: 2013 2.5i CVT with 165k miles.

Price when bought brand new (minus trade in) 9/2012: $22500

Total life time costs so far for maintenance: $9400

About $1500/yr @25400mi/yr :lol:

Most average drivers only do about half that per year, so to be modest in an est - $800 to a $1k/year to maintain this vehicle

This includes some after market suspension goodies that probably has added an extra $1k to the total bill, not to mention the tires being changed so often 0.0. A few window chip repairs and full replacement eventually, and a dent repair bill.

Doesn't matter what vehicle you drive, if you don't put the cash aside to do all of the trans fluid, coolant flushes, brake/pwr steering flushes, diff fluid, oil changes, and recommended intervals on plugs, pulleys, belts, etc.. "you're gunna have a bad time, mmmkay."

This obviously excludes your lemons and/or oil consumption issues. But as mentioned above, those are the exceptions but the ones you hear about more often.

With all of that said, I had an '08 impreza with only 99k miles on it but had purchased used @65k miles. Just traded it in because the same concerns arose as you have, the amount of cash to get it up to date on potential issues that needed addressed (timing belt kit, clutch wear, rubber suspension bits aging, etc.). I wouldn't make a decision based on perceived reliability and quality issues (these are great cars that are often reported going 200k-300k miles), but on the reality of the condition of the vehicle.

As FLlegacy mentioned, the CVT rate is in the single digits for %. You have the year where the failure rate was the highest and most those are the torque converter (at least it isn't the full boat $8k). I would guess a great bulk of the problematic CVT were repaired under the CVT warranty extension.

I imagine you realize that your CVT is under warranty until 100k miles. Many Legacys and Outbacks of this generation have gone 150k, 200k or more on the CVT. After 100k miles, you are driving with the risk of a failure. If that keeps you up at night, you probably should sell it. If you don't mind risk drive it until you planned or until it is no longer cost effective to drive. Your car has value of ~$7k and the annual depreciation of the car is starting to flatten out.

I, for one, am shocked that members of a Subaru Legacy enthusiasts forum are fans of the Subaru Legacy.

But seriously, Subarus have higher than average resale value. That's a fact, whether it seems justified to you or not.

So I did change the coolant and added the Subaru additive. I changed the timing belt with all the parts except the water pump. Thought kit had water pump but did not so mechanic did not replace it. I installed a new Subaru thermostat. I changed the gear lube in front and rear differentials with Amsoil synthetic. I have run Amsoil motor oil as well. Changed the spark plugs and beefed up the rear sway bar to a 22mm. I will be changing all the transmission fluid before 100K miles at the Subaru dealership. I insulated all the doors and under the rear seat. Added a Kenwood head end with the existing Harmon Karmon speaker setup. Installed new Yokohoma Avid Accend tires. Replaced all except the brake lights with LED's. Installed a blue led rear Subaru badge but got pulled over by the police so I had to change it out for a red one. New Subaru logo led lights under the front two doors. Replaced front brake rotors and installed new Brembo ceramic brake pads. Only issue I have had so far is the engine is using a little oil. Oh and I did all this in the first year of ownership. So I am too far in the bail on her yet, but the thought of a transmission repair does concern me.

So I did change the coolant and added the Subaru additive. I changed the timing belt with all the parts except the water pump. Thought kit had water pump but did not so mechanic did not replace it. I installed a new Subaru thermostat. I changed the gear lube in front and rear differentials with Amsoil synthetic. I have run Amsoil motor oil as well. Changed the spark plugs and beefed up the rear sway bar to a 22mm. I will be changing all the transmission fluid before 100K miles at the Subaru dealership. I insulated all the doors and under the rear seat. Added a Kenwood head end with the existing Harmon Karmon speaker setup. Installed new Yokohoma Avid Accend tires. Replaced all except the brake lights with LED's. Installed a blue led rear Subaru badge but got pulled over by the police so I had to change it out for a red one. New Subaru logo led lights under the front two doors. Replaced front brake rotors and installed new Brembo ceramic brake pads. Only issue I have had so far is the engine is using a little oil. Oh and I did all this in the first year of ownership. So I am too far in the bail on her yet, but the thought of a transmission repair does concern me.
A transmission is still cheaper than a new car. But realistically worst case at this point would be a good used one at probably $3 to $4k.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What kind of maintenance does that include? Oil changes, brakes, tires? Are those being done at a dealer?

Fair question... should have at least put the disclaimer that experience may vary based on region work is being done, shop doing it vs DIY, etc.

Includes all interval maintenance/oil changes in between. First 70k at a dealer, the rest at an independent subie shop. About 2 or 3 DIY oil changes. more could have been saved here if all done by me. Same with most other fluids, as they're pretty straight fwd. only one I personally wouldn't bother with is the trans fluid.

All brakes/rotors. Tires from tire rack (avg A/S price range). And as mentioned in my post, includes aftermarket suspension "upgrades". IMO, they needed replaced regardless and doing the work myself paid for the more expensive parts. OEM parts at a dealer would be more expensive, OEM or similar done DIY would be cheaper.

Sounds like you've done all you can to ensure it's up to date. I would just keep an eye on the tranny over the next 15-20k. When putting into gear, does it lag, make noises, etc. There may be tests that could be run on the old trans fluid as well, although I have no experience here.

Every vehicle and truck will have there ups and downs. Depends on the design flaws, owners and previous owners did they keep up on the maintenance and did they baby it while driving it or did they dog it. You have to look at all factors.

All vehicles will start to age and more wear and tear will start showing up more.

Your comparing a belt driven CVT to a chain driven CVT. 2013 Legacy will be better then a 2010 Legacy CVT.

What happen when you take rubber and soak it in oil? This is why Subaru swap out the belt driven to a chain driven in there CVT on the 2013 and up.

I'll throw in my $.02 worth....we have been a Subaru family for 17 years so far.....6 different models....3 of them Legacys.... 2006 LGT 5MT, 2012 5th Gen LTD 2.5i, 2013 5th Gen LTD 3.6R...... we have never had any issues beyond a few minor recalls and routine maintenance.

Fun to drive, very reliable and great resale value..... That's why I would/will keep buying Subaru Legacys :):)

Every vehicle and truck will have there ups and downs. Depends on the design flaws, owners and previous owners did they keep up on the maintenance and did they baby it while driving it or did they dog it. You have to look at all factors.

All vehicles will start to age and more wear and tear will start showing up more.

Your comparing a belt driven CVT to a chain driven CVT. 2013 Legacy will be better then a 2010 Legacy CVT.

What happen when you take rubber and soak it in oil? This is why Subaru swap out the belt driven to a chain driven in there CVT on the 2013 and up.

all Lineeartronic CVT use a chain that includes any of them in the 2010+legacy and outback...

all of the issues I have had with my car were the direct result of incompetence on the mechanic's part

3 years for a t-stat replacement

2 years for them to figure out leaking intake gaskets

over tightened fill plug on trans, got new trans after all of the front differential fluid leaked out

bought the car in 2016 at 19.5K miles at 58 now and my maintenance bill is nothing...

6 oil changes $60 a pop

1 set tires $810

rear brakes $180

1 set windshield wiper inserts $15

things I added that were extra

HID lights

Heated Seats

GPS head unit

upcoming item spark plugs -> going straight to laser cut iridium, should never have to change those again...

Archived