LegacyGT.com

tried replacing stereo now battery keeps dying

Hello,

I purchased a 2005 subaru legacy wagon a month ago. I think I messed it up.

I've always been pretty handy with computers, and figured I could install an aftermarket stereo in the legacy. I got the metra plugs and dash panel. Pulled the manual ac unit and stereo out, popped the adapters in and tested the unit. The AC worked, but the stereo didn't.

I figured I must have made an error with the stereo wires. There were 4 plugs in the OEM unit, and only two adapter (main metra unit and antenna). That left two extra plugs. Rather than struggle with it, I put the original unit back in and it worked fine.

Now the battery dies over night. The dealer replaced the battery yesterday, but its dead again this morning.

Only other thing I've done to it, is replaced the dome light bulb on the ceiling of the interior.

I'm thinking I blew a fuse. Hoping for some thoughts here. I don't have a volt meter to check the fuses myself.

Thanks

I figure by now if it was the park light switch atop the steering column you would have noticed by now but thats a common “I worked on the car now the battery dies overnight “

I double checked that switch and its definitely not been turned on. I flipped it a few times to be sure it was really off. Seems like that is not it.

I did just check the cigar lighter fuse and found it blown. That shouldn't drain the battery is my understanding, but I pulled the fuse anyway. I don't have a replacement, but I don't need the lighter anyway.

Maybe having the fuse out will do it?

pull each fuse each evening and one will show itself to be the culprit, there's a light in your trunk.... is that on? Glove box light can be another (wait do we have them on these cars)

Yes, there’s a small light in the glove box and the center cubby but are only on when the headlights are on.

I'd pull the radio again, check for damaged or crushed wires that may be grounding out somewhere. If nothing's found, I'd consider leaving the radio out overnight to see what happens to the battery voltage then go from there.

Having a voltmeter would be helpful but not critical.

Any aftermarket items such as alarm or auto starter that might be drawing the battery down?

There was no crank after the battery died. I pulled the fuses for the stereo and cigar lighter, cigar lighter was blown.

Got a boost and drove for an hour, seemed fine. 3 hours later, it wouldn't start. No crank, nothing. Turn the key and the car didn't react at all.

Neighbour lent me his spare battery, boosted it, and it started fine. Might have been the battery the dealer gave me...it was used and could have been trash.

I don't have enough tools or a garage to work in, and its my only vehicle, so I drove it over to my mechanic. Thanks for much for the advice. Helped me test some stuff and helped directed the mechanic on what to look for. Hopefully I have good news later today

Archived