LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Anyone is going through or planning engine overhaul? I have some hoses/gaskets/misc parts left from my builds that I no longer need (knock on wood...). Rather than let them sit and get old I decided to offer them here. Each hose is too inexpensive to sell individually with shipping, so I'll rather sell them as a set. Probably will list them in FS part.

There may be some things there that interest me. Getting the motor back sometime this week (just paid the invoice... more than I was expecting from the original quote :spin:).

Snapped pics of JDM double DIN and USDM stereo brackets. Bad news is they are different, good news should be easy to fab something to reuse USDM bracket.

The important difference is the JDM has special mounting location for DD faceplate where USDM does not. Everything else appears to be same.

Thanks for that.

Looks like ill need to tac weld on a wing plate to hold in the double din if I cant find a set of the JDM brackets

Got her home and on the stand, 140,000 kms on it and it's in immaculate shape. $1200 well spent!

I'll be putting in new plugs today, have the perrin inlet ready, catless up pipe, grimmspeed lightweight pulley, and I think I'll drop it in at that and see how she goes. The Spec will be alive soon!!

Huge props to tysparks87, my bro helped me lift it out of the truck and right one the stand, all muscle power baby!

1945719573_enginecropped.thumb.jpg.65b6973a1c02d993be249030267c23dc.jpg

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

I went ahead and installed the DW 740cc injectors that I picked up.

I updated my tune with the values that utc_pyro has shared for scaling and latency.

They idle smooth and are good for some of the range.

But I have some really lean spots when trying to accelerate (not WOT)

I'm debating whether to try to tune for it, or send Cryo a note and see about having Dave e-tune it for me.

Note that the values I poseded were for my set of injectors. As they are all modified and binned, the scaling value in particular will vary from set to set. Granted you set flows 5% more than mine did, so it should tend rich instead.

What load range was the lean spot in? What did you fuel learning values look like?

The romraider injector tuning tool is a nice starting point, but it'll be off by ~5-10%. You can use the Airboy spreadsheet to finalize it. You can also use Mafscaling to get some insite on what's going on as well.

Also your MAF accuracy matters. I have a "golden" scaling of the stock box you can try if needed. It was verified vs a flow bench.

Injector tuning (beyond the low pulsewidth non-lienar stuff) is one of the simplest tuning exercises on our cars so you can totally DIY it. It's just a slope and intercept (y=(S)x+L), where slope is your injector Scaling and the y-intercept is Latency.

Edited by utc_pyro

Note that the values I poseded were for my set of injectors. As they are all modified and binned, the scaling value in particular will vary from set to set. Granted you set flows 5% more than mine did, so it should tend rich instead.

What load range was the lean spot in? What did you fuel learning values look like?

The romraider injector tuning tool is a nice starting point, but it'll be off by ~5-10%. You can use the Airboy spreadsheet to finalize it. You can also use Mafscaling to get some insite on what's going on as well.

Also your MAF accuracy matters. I have a "golden" scaling of the stock box you can try if needed. It was verified vs a flow bench.

Injector tuning (beyond the low pulsewidth non-lienar stuff) is one of the simplest tuning exercises on our cars so you can totally DIY it. It's just a slope and intercept (y=(S)x+L), where slope is your injector Scaling and the y-intercept is Latency.

I will totally take you up on a "golden" scaling of a box intake. Mine is fairly dialed in with stock injectors, but I would love to compare.

I think I figured out why I was running lean. The 740s that I bought are not actually 740s, they are 550s... :spin::spin::spin:

When I tune for 740s, they run very lean; when I fell back to my previous tune for stock injectors they behave exactly like my stocks.

So I did more research, there are not too many good clear images of the spray patterns for 740s, but I found two that matched each other and they didn't match the "740s" that I bought. They were in a 740 box with a 740 flow sheet, but they aren't.

I have a feeling that the seller may not have known in the first place, since something like this will be found out and paypal heavily sides on the buyer vs the seller (for better or worse).

Long story (for another time with DW), but I might be able to get 740s from the source for a discount; and I just might do that.

Can I have the golden scaling too? I like comparisons.

Ugh. Looks like my car developed a leak - during prolonged rains water gets into driver's foot well. Appears to be somewhere at lower 3rd of driver's A pillar, then runs down into dead pedal and door seal.

Since leaks don't fix themselves and with fall coming, I'll be tearing into it asap. Did anyone have similar leak, where do I start and what are typical culprits? Car has sunroof so I will be checking drains first. With sunroof drains I thought it gets wet from the top though, which is not my case...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

yep, thanks homie. Found a few little things that need fixing, really just a few seals that have started to harden, but looking good overall. Might as well do it while the engine is out!

That's how I ended up tearing apart my spare motor and doing a topfeed conversion. Slippery slope!

That's how I ended up tearing apart my spare motor and doing a topfeed conversion. Slippery slope!

Wouldn't my 08 spec b be top feed? I could swap that setup over then will be ready for injector upgrades I believe

He has spare TVG that he could delete, as well as a complete 2 complete stock top feed rails & injectors he could use.

I keep pushing for him to go all out on this, but I think the goal is just to get the car up and running right now.

BTW this guy is my BAD influence. Not at this moment, but overall yes...

Ugh. Looks like my car developed a leak - during prolonged rains water gets into driver's foot well. Appears to be somewhere at lower 3rd of driver's A pillar, then runs down into dead pedal and door seal.

Since leaks don't fix themselves and with fall coming, I'll be tearing into it asap. Did anyone have similar leak, where do I start and what are typical culprits? Car has sunroof so I will be checking drains first. With sunroof drains I thought it gets wet from the top though, which is not my case...

After checking the sunroof drains, check the cowl vent (around the wiper arms.) Those are notorious for clogging up. Even if it looks clear, take the cowl grille off and make sure there’s nothing stuck down there.

After checking the sunroof drains, check the cowl vent (around the wiper arms.) Those are notorious for clogging up. Even if it looks clear, take the cowl grille off and make sure there’s nothing stuck down there.

Thank you, I will. We had unexpected rain tonight and again water came in. I took the side panel on the side of dashboard off and the water is there from the very top, metal bracket holding the dash is wet. A pillar was dry but that's may be just because rain didn't last long.

Based on the location of the drip I think it's sunroof drains. Unfortunately my sun roof is not operational for years now so getting to those drain hoses may be an issue. Damn.

I was hoping for an engine rebuilt thread. leaving not happy...:rolleyes:

I could probably make one with all the pictures I have. Bought a parts car with a 30k shortblock, discovered it had a slight headgasket seep so didn't save me any work over just buying a brand new one! At least parting the car made the motor super cheap... :spin:

Picked up my QuickJacks this weekend and tried them out. Pretty slick! Got confirmation my i88 harness shipped and hopefully got gkinslow sending me JDM double din brackets. Also ordered up new rotors/pads preparing to install my rebuilt and painted Brembo calipers. Ill clean up the old calipers and turn the rotors for spares. Looking forward to getting the double din in. Want to get it all done and detailed for West Coast Subaru Show on Sep 14th.

48561834442_44201ab7e5_c.jpg

48561691376_5a6a473126_c.jpg

Recently installed the Super Pro roll center kit. Old ball joints were so bad that the steering wheel wouldn't even rest straight. Before even getting the car aligned it fixed that issue. After fixing ride height issues, getting the roll center installed, and having a proper alignment, I can say this car feels so different and so much more fun to drive. It was so sloppy before. Car has come a long way since I purchased it, with a long way to go. Needs 2 more wheel bearings in the rear and I think I will be comfortable enough to go take it to the tail of the dragon.

When I got the car it was on winter tires, way too low, no power steering, no brakes, no clutch, crappy exhaust, but a lot of potential. It's slowly coming together.

How much ground clearance are you getting at full height. I've debated getting some myself.

Thanks

With the 4" lift blocks about 20" of clearance under the car. Probably not enough to slide a transmission out, but plenty of room for an exhaust or rear end.

Never measured mine when it was up but I think I was close to 24" high to be able to slide the tranny out on my Harbor Fright tranny jack. The jack its self is about 8" high.

Was able to roll the tranny and jack out under the right side exhaust to the front of the car.

I'll go down stairs and measure the jack, it's 8.5" high at its lowest point.

DSCN6632.thumb.JPG.f9b24017f0e429a75d9933921bf09c39.JPG

I can go out to the shed and measure the spare 5mt if needed. That big HF jackstand is the 6 ton style. They are at my son's house, but HF still carry's them. If someone wanted to measure.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

5 speed is 18.5” tall sitting on the ground. I had the car up 24” on 6 ton jack stands when I did the 6 speed. Barely had enough room it felt like.

Same here, had to buy 6 ton jack stands at HF, otherwise there was no way to get the 6 speed tranny under the car on tranny jack. I believe I raised the car to almost 26 inches since I (mistakenly) mounted the shifter lever instead of just connecting the reverse cable. That forced me to have extra height, otherwise lever wouldn't clear.