LegacyGT.com

Fuel system upgrade

So on Friday I’m ordering some parts I just wanna make sure I’m going at it correct. So I’m on a stock block stage 2 on Cobb accessport with Cobb up and downpipe along with there intake box, I also have a HKS exhaust from the downpipe back. I want to start upgrading my fuel and intake components so I plan on buying the top mount IAG TGV deletes and IAG top mount fuel rails. Now can I still use my intake manifold with this setup? I also plan to do a parallel fuel system with all this. Any input will help!

top feed and deletes are probably way overkill unless you plan to go to much bigger turbo

and e85. you'll need top feed injectors with that too, as well as a tune to run those injectors.

I have a 440XT on 91 with 850 side feeds without issue and plenty of room. but do have an upgraded fuel pump and sti FPR/FPCM.

why the big guns?

The AEM320 fuel pump seems to be the recommended one for upgrades.

You should ask your Tuner for recommendations, and buy what he's used to working with.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i haven't had it dyno'ed, and I live at 7000 feet so that reduces fuel demand and HP slightly, but the 440xt is rated for 440 crank HP, probably not far below that, probably in the 340-70 whp range

I don’t have a tuner yet I plan on collecting all the parts I need then finding a reputable tuner to get me going. But the AEM is the one people are getting? What about the aeromotive 325 stealth? Hear anything good about that one?

Also ide like to know if the parts I mentioned will still work with my stock intake manifold? And since I plan on doing parallel fuel lines will I run in to any problems? And to safely max this stock block out what turbo should I use?

https://www.delicioustuning.com/catalog/81?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh4KH0vj_4AIVD-DICh234QKAEAAYASAAEgJtuPD_BwE

I think that is who "m sprank" recommends. PM m sprank and ask him. He can also answer all your questions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have a Dw65c and haven't had any issues with it over four years or so.

Can't answer the manifold question definitively, but haven't heard of any issues in the past. Stock block? how many miles?

I assume you mean on e85 right?

I'd say an 18g on corn is about as big as I would want to run on a stock block.

if you're planning on using up your current shortblock and replacing with a built block down the road, I'd look to something a little bigger like a DOM1.5 tuned conservatively. That would ensure you're not going to get bored anytime in the near future and if you ever get a stronger block you can run it harder

• 1 month later...
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but had a fuel injector question and Chato or Max Capacity it looks like you might have some thoughts. My '05 GT just had a side-feed injector go bad (stock modified by witchunter 10 years ago to flow 820ccs) and it's a LOT more expensive to convert to top-feed than to just replace them with some similar capacity side-feed and then stick with my current tune. I've got a VF52 turbo and Walbo fuel pump but don't plan any further mods and would rather not dump thousands of $$ into the car at this point. The garage says "side feed bad" which I get, but I'll probably sell the car within a couple of years. Your opinions are appreciated!

Yes side feeds are not optimal but that said I ran a VF52 / 740 injectors / Walbro set up on my track car for about 5 years without any issues at all. Finally moved to top feed 1000’s when I swapped out for a custom 16G but if your staying at reasonable stg 2 power on a daily driver I think your fine staying with side feeds. Edited by shralp

yeah, concur.

I run 850 side feeds with a 440xt turbo and haven't had issues.

Would need to go up to 1000 or 1050 to run corn, but my tuner felt ok with 850SF for 91. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

A few things to add here depending on how big you plan to go with e85

AEM 340 pump as a MINIMUM. This will NEED to be hardwired in order to produce maximum flow. The iWire kit is very nice and plug and play. I am on e85 and will need a bigger pump than the aem if I go to a bigger turbo - I am currently on avo380 turbo which is 44lb/min. If you’re going bigger than that, just bite the bullet and buy the Visconti hanger/pump setup

Topfeed injectors in the 1000cc range will be required.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

A few things to add here depending on how big you plan to go with e85

AEM 340 pump as a MINIMUM. This will NEED to be hardwired in order to produce maximum flow. The iWire kit is very nice and plug and play. I am on e85 and will need a bigger pump than the aem if I go to a bigger turbo - I am currently on avo380 turbo which is 44lb/min. If you’re going bigger than that, just bite the bullet and buy the Visconti hanger/pump setup

Topfeed injectors in the 1000cc range will be required.

Are you not better off getting the radium hanger than the Visconti. Sure it's $170 more, but you are getting a complete setup vs keeping half the stock setup with the Visconti?

Doesn't look like the Visconti replaces the stock venturi pump so that will need replacing if going for big power too. The stock one starts becoming a restriction at over 300wkw on much lower reading southern hemisphere dyno’s

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

The Radium kit is a great option if you plan on going so big that you need dual pumps and/or larger -AN fuel lines. Judging by the OP it sounds like that may not be the case.

Otherwise the Visconti moves plenty of fuel for a single-pump setup using factory fuel line config, with some modification to add a filter. Also, It comes with a few pump options so I’m not sure what you mean.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The Radium kit is a great option if you plan on going so big that you need dual pumps and/or larger -AN fuel lines. Judging by the OP it sounds like that may not be the case.

Otherwise the Visconti moves plenty of fuel for a single-pump setup using factory fuel line config, with some modification to add a filter. Also, It comes with a few pump options so I’m not sure what you mean.

Agree either will be overkill for the OP

Venturi pump aka siphon pump, the return line flows through this orifice to create a vacuum to pull fuel from the passive side of the saddle bag tank. The orifice is sized for stock pump flow so using considerably larger pumps makes this orifice a restriction and can end up causing pump cavitation as it can't flow the correct volume for the pump speed.

The FPCM semi-solves this as it drops pump duty when the most fuel will be returned but most hardwire when going to large pumps anyway.

Radium sells their siphon pump separately so can be retrofitted into another cradle if needed.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Jet-Pump-Kit-P760.aspx

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness