LegacyGT.com

2009 Legacy 3.0R

I have been getting extremely loud road noise/noise under the car for about a month now, was told I didn't need a bearing and it was tire chop. Now, I swear it's not in my head, the shifter console is getting warm. Do I have a differential problem? My first Subaru, now has 140K on it, no idiot lights on the dash.

Took it to my real mechanic (that I got to know on a first name basis during my GM days) and not Mavis (they replaced one of the bearings 2 1/2 years ago, warrenty). I trust this guy, he kept my '02 Grand Prix GTP on the road)... "Two wheel bearings, front driver and rear passenger (which was terrible with stethoscope, even though no play)... he only had time to do the bad, bad one on a same day drop in, but now %1000 better. Took it to Mavis on Empire Blvd. in Webster NY twice, across the street, Ron's Auto Repair is the best.

I have a similar experience. I was buying a 2005 Outback and a few seconds into the test drive I knew the wheel bearings were bad. The sellers were like, "no no no we already brought it to a shop and it's not that, we don't know what it is." I took their word for it and tried everything to figure something else out. Finally a couple months later I replaced a rear wheel bearing....better. Then replaced the front on the same side.....no more noise. I guess this generation of Legacy fools a lot of mechanics.