LegacyGT.com

Throttle position sensor or clutch?

So, I'm having a weird issue with my 05 LGT. The clutch has been slipping recently. It's stage 2 protuned with a new stage 2 clutch and refinished flywheel put in 22ish K miles ago.

Since I don't drive the car a lot I decided to take it on a 500 mile drive and see what happens. Now, it's slipping only specifically b/w 2800-3000 RPM. I have no idea why specifically it slips in that range and holds throughout of the rev-range.

Second thing is that it randomly goes into limp mode on startup and won't respond to throttle input at all until you cycle it on/off a couple times. Throws a code for throttle position sensor.

What's goin on?

I wonder if the clutch is really slipping, or if it's just the throttle position sensor not responding or acting up.

I wonder which code it is, I'm thinking an issue down at the gas pedal, corrosion, poor connection there, or maybe just the pedal assembly on its way out.

I wonder if the clutch is really slipping, or if it's just the throttle position sensor not responding or acting up.

I wonder which code it is, I'm thinking an issue down at the gas pedal, corrosion, poor connection there, or maybe just the pedal assembly on its way out.

Could be.. Gonna have to scan it again. Funny thing is CEL turns off after a couple cycles then car goes back to normal. But clutch still slips in that range

I might think about replacing the TPS. I think there is a post about them in JmP's sticky. Seem to recall they are the same as the TGV sensors.

Does your rpm climb during the slipping ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Second thing is that it randomly goes into limp mode on startup and won't respond to throttle input at all until you cycle it on/off a couple times. Throws a code for throttle position sensor.

What's goin on?

Had the same exact issue couple of years ago. Car would go into limp mode and would then work fine after ignition shutoff and restart.

Your TPS is (most likely) fine. It was dust and linen that collected on the accelerator pedal cable and connector in my case. I unbolted the accelerator pedal assembly to get a good access to connector. Cleaned the cable on the outside - it was covered in linen from the carpet and dust, sprayed electric cleaner on pedal connector and cable connector, then blew some compressed air into both to clean and dry them up.

Reassembled everything and problem went away. I believe there is actually thread somewhere on this forum about it.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K