LegacyGT.com

Weird noise from front suspension

So I've recently been hearing this weird noise, sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side suspension. I know it sounds crazy, but you can clearly hear this noise when the car is cold, like first started, and you go over any road surface. After about ten minutes the noise stops being heard over just any road surface and you'll only hear the noise if you really jostle the suspension over rough road, like train tracks. Went to two different dealers, one seemed to think it was the front brake caliper bracket so they replaced it, but that didn't fix it. Another dealership thought it might be the trans cooler lines, but they were definitely understanding and at least believed me when it came to the noise. They're willing to troubleshoot further but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. My car is a 2016 with close to 22,000 miles on it. Thanks again for your help. Edited by diesel4982

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not insane. But... Might be the nature of the car. I've had mine in a few times for similar noises. My loaner Outback behaves in the exact same way. (Had the Legacy in for service to correct wind noise).

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

brake caliper bracket????

Probably something in the suspension, sway bar , shock etc... can you reproduce it by bouncing the car by hand when cold? Open the hood and do that and may be you can isolate it. I m sure it s nothing to worry about if everything is tight in the front end. Just annoying...

Someone mentioned that their trans ground cable line was hitting their air box. Mine was way clear of touching.

FYI/ Drivers side towards the rear of engine and goes from battery , under that side of the box and then I guess down to the trans...

Edited by cerbomark

• 2 weeks later...
I just recently went back to the dealership and they were able to replicate the noise. They also drove three other legacies and outbacks and they had the same noise too. I'm gonna tell the dealership about the trans wire and see if that fixes it. They called SoA and were told to check the transmission mounts but all was good. The sound is driving me crazy.

• 1 month later...
Update: what was ordered was a steering rack..I picked up my car from the dealership after the work was completed..I'm in love all over again. No sound whatsoever, steering is tight..everything is all good. They also performed a wheel alignment after replacing the steering rack...the car now feels solid and more importantly, no annoying rattling or any noise coming from the engine bay.

I had the same noise (I assume) with my 2017 3.6R. The dealer I got it from last August replaced the steering rack like a month after I bought it. The noise went away, but I think it came back like a month or two ago, especially when I was traveling around Chicagoland. I moved to a different area too, so I haven't been able to find a bumpy enough road to test it again. I did bring it up with my new dealer, but they said they couldn't duplicate it and to let them know if I hear it again. Hopefully it's nothing and just the cold temps.

Thanks for this post. I too am hearing this sound. Sounds like a clunk at cold temperatures when starting the car up in the morning. Seems to go away after the car warms up. I will wait and see how everyone's repair by the dealer holds up. With so many steering replacements this may become a recall or TSB but who knows.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I had the same noise (I assume) with my 2017 3.6R. The dealer I got it from last August replaced the steering rack like a month after I bought it. The noise went away, but I think it came back like a month or two ago, especially when I was traveling around Chicagoland. I moved to a different area too, so I haven't been able to find a bumpy enough road to test it again. I did bring it up with my new dealer, but they said they couldn't duplicate it and to let them know if I hear it again. Hopefully it's nothing and just the cold temps.

So I've been driving the car a few days now and the noise seems to be coming back. I'm having the dealer go through the latest tsb on the noise from the engine compartment and see how that works. I'm really getting frustrated and want it fixed.

Just out of curiosity have you noticed if you have any small play in steering wheel, like a dead spot, when you turn the wheel very slightly and get no steering driving down the road? I am letting my mind wander a bit.

Just out of curiosity have you noticed if you have any small play in steering wheel, like a dead spot, when you turn the wheel very slightly and get no steering driving down the road? I am letting my mind wander a bit.

I actually did have that but since the steering rack was replaced, I haven't had that play in the steering anymore. Since the rack replacement, steering feel has been much more solid...it didn't fix my noise issue, but it corrected the loose feel of the steering wheel.

Edited by diesel4982

I actually did have that but since the stressing rack was replaced, I haven't had that play in the steering anymore. Since the rack replacement, steering feel has been much more solid...it didn't fix my noise issue, but it corrected the loose feel of the steering wheel.

I had and have that issue too. My steering has a little knock when switching rotation direction. It feels a little loose, but it's not concerning right now. It was fixed when I had the steering column replaced at my old dealer, but it came back for some reason along with the weird noise. When I took it to my new dealer, they said it was normal and something about the knuckle blah blah blah. I never heard steering wheels sound like that in the 4 new Nissans I had prior.

It's not a big worry right now, but I hope it doesn't become a larger problem in the future... like after the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
I've noticed a similar noise, not sure if it stops after while; seems to remain no matter how long I've been driving. It seemed to have started at the same time as my front brakes started making clanking noises the first time I braked after going in a new direction (i.e. braking in reverse, then braking in drive, or vice versa). Anyone else have a similar experience? I presumed it was the brakes. It's in for service to look at it now, but I strongly believe they won't be helping. The service advisor told me "Brakes do that after while" and I looked at him and said "No, they most certainly do not".

• 9 months later...
I have this same issue. Today, in the morning, about 50 degrees out, I was able to roll the car down a slight hill with the engine off and I heard this noise. Like you said, mine gets better when the car warms up. I do still hear it when it warms up, but not nearly as loud as when it is cold. I am going to put my go pro in the engine bay somewhere and see if I can see where it's coming from.

• 3 months later...
Since your car is still under warranty, I'd bring it in to the dealer. My dealer had to replace the steering rack and one of the front struts. They also noticed some looseness in the subframe and had to tighten some things up.

How are things for you so far now?

How are things for you so far now?

So far so good. I haven't experienced any sounds or rattling since the dealer did what they did. I suggest if you are experiencing those noises, that you tell the dealer you have heard from others that are experiencing the same thing and the suggested fixes have worked. My dealer was willing to work with me since they heard the same exact noises I was complaining of.

So far so good. I haven't experienced any sounds or rattling since the dealer did what they did. I suggest if you are experiencing those noises, that you tell the dealer you have heard from others that are experiencing the same thing and the suggested fixes have worked. My dealer was willing to work with me since they heard the same exact noises I was complaining of.

Few posts ago you mentioned that the noise came back after the steering rack was replaced, it was good for a while and then the noise cameback. Did they do anything else afterwards?

After the rack replacement, the noise did come back after a while. When I told them that, they took it in and replaced the front strut, I think on the passenger . When doing that, they found that the subframe was loose in certain areas, they didn't say exactly where though. They said they tightened that up and I haven't experienced anything since.

After the rack replacement, the noise did come back after a while. When I told them that, they took it in and replaced the front strut, I think on the passenger . When doing that, they found that the subframe was loose in certain areas, they didn't say exactly where though. They said they tightened that up and I haven't experienced anything since.

Thanks for the info, I will have them check this out, it annoys me that Subaru makes such great cars but they have these stupid problems :(

I am gonna schedule to the dealer to check it out in about two weeks.

Did they have to order any of the parts or they had it in stock?