LegacyGT.com

Any news about the 2019 Legacy?

Pilot1226

Has anyone heard or seen anything about the 2019 Legacy from any of the auto shows?

My financials will be in a better situation next spring so I am hoping to hold out for a 19 Leg 3.6. I don’t really want to have overlapping car payments.

Biggest concern is loss of 3.6 option which we know is coming. I was thinking because 18 was a mid cycle refresh the 3.6 might hang on until the full refresh in 2020?

Yet the media pages and everything are so quiet.

• 4 months later...
I am kind of surprised that Subaru hasn't release any information about the 2019 Legacy (or 2019 Outback) by now. Subaru has traditionally released information for Legacy at car shows or in late April or May for new models.

I realize that the 2019 are likely to have no changes or just minor package changes. The 2019 model codes have not been released (which change every year even when no changes are made) and ordering hasn’t opened yet. Even if Subaru releases the 2019 models pricing and codes shortly, the 2019 won’t be at dealer lots until September when typically the Legacy model year has been in July or August. I wonder if the 2019 model year was delayed to ramp up the Ascent production.

^just saw that article too. My guess is we will see it debut in February at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show. The dual exhaust should be standard, and I wonder if they will be throwing the turbo'd ascent motor in it to replace the 3.6, should be interesting.

The changes will be in 2020. The global chassis is gonna happen. As far I knew the 2.4 turbo engine shared with the ascent was gonna be the 3.6 replacement. Havent heard the 2.0. Although regardless I think getting rid of the 3.6 is dumb. Adding more issues with a turbocharger. Not gaining much power with the 2.4 either. 30 ftlbs of tq and 2 hp isn't much to sway me. I'd rather have my 3.6 with the around the same power without having to wait for spool and the added turbo issues. Idk what brand of turbo we use in the wrx/sti but the ascent uses a honeywell turbocharger. So far we've seen more problems than not with them burning up. I'm up for the global chassis but not for the new engine replacing a very stout dependable engine. I'm still trying to stay open minded about it but itd be hard to turn in my 3.6.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And only having to use 87 octane instead of premium!

That’s a huge thing me choosing the 3.6R instead of waiting on the 2.4T

But think of the tunability. Tune the 3.6 and you gain maybe 5hp & 5 lb/ft, tune the 2.4 and you might get 50hp & 50 lb/ft

Have you checked the XRT tunes? The 3.6R may not tune as well as the 2.4T but it’s still a rock solid engine and can be tuned moderately.

Just think of the reoccurring ringland failures in the wrx/sti that has numerous lawsuits against subaru already. The tunability crossed my mind and yes it's more apt to more power but with more problems. Regardless whether it's a 2.0 or 2.4 that replaces the 3.6 It wont exceed the longevity of the 3.6 imho. If I wanted more tunability or the turbo option I'd go with the WRX. I'd rather see a revamped 6cyl with 300hp than adding a turbo to the equation. But we can all dream hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The FA20DIT doesn't have the ring land failures that the EJ255 had. I am still pretty convinced that 99% of ringland failures are from modifications/tunes anyways. The average new car owner keeps their car about 6 1/2 years and 100k miles. They usually don't worry about the which motor is going to be more reliable at 200k miles. A properly design turbo motor should reliably go 200k miles.

Subaru made the choice a few years ago to stop developing the 3.6R and continue developing new boxer 4 motors. Subaru put in a timeline a few years ago of using DI motors across the board in 2020 and they now have FB20, FB25 (2019 Forester), FA20DIT, & FA24DIT direct injection motors to achieve this.

The typical customer who opts for 3.6R in the Legacy/Outback doesn't care about tunability. The subset of the market of who cars about that is less than 5% and I bet many of those potential owners are already deterred by the CVT.

But the 2.4T runs on 87

Okay, so in order for you to get few more ponies you would probably have to tune it to premium gas to have any significant worthy gains. Correct me if I’m wrong.

CVT only kills any interest I'd have.

Subaru CVT has matured from the first gen and it has been nothing but solid and reliable. It doesn’t compare to the garbage from Nissan.

Have you driven the newer cvt?

Cvt gets a lot of hate, especially from people that been driving manual.

There is a reason the wrx adopted the cvt and that’s because it’s solid and proven to last. Same with the ascent.

I doubt Subaru will be changing this transmission, if anything they will keep building on top of this platform.

My mother has a 2016 legacy with the CVT. Hate it. I've had a couple of 2018 CRV-s with CVTs as loaners, as well as a 2017 Accord with same. Hate it. Have also driven Nissan CVTs. Hate those too.

The reason the WRX adopted the CVT was because Subaru already had it. It was a cost measure, not because of an inherent performance value.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Archived