LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

Interesting ;and huge by Subaru standards. And "Yes, it will be made".

• Subaru confirms future 3-row SUV will be named Subaru Ascent
  • The Ascent will be powered by an all-new turbocharged DI Boxer Engine
  • Ascent SUV Concept showcases 7 passenger interior

New Subaru Ascent

NEW YORK -- This time, Subaru is trying to get ahead of generational change with a new SUV that it hopes will capture the family market.

Subaru introduced the Ascent crossover concept, a three-row SUV that has surprisingly conventional looks for that class of vehicle. It's upright, not the sleeker, more wagon-like configuration of much of the rest of its lineup.

It's a concept, but Tom Doll, president of Subaru of America, introducing the car here at the New York Auto Show, says it is surefire for production.

"Yes, it will be made," he said.

He says Subaru made a mistake in past generations by becoming a favorite of younger, single people or small families but missing out as they added more kids. Now, as Millennials gradually need seven seats in their SUV, Subaru will be ready to retain them with Ascent.

While the SUV's looks break from past Subaru's, it's innards are true to the brand. The car has the same "boxer" engine, in which the cylinders are in a different arrangement than in a conventional motor, as other Subarus.

The new Subaru will be built at the company's plant in Layfayette, Ind

636276126040741633-subaru.JPG

636276126119678139-subaru2.JPG

636276126026545542-subaru3.JPG

636276126003145392-subaru4.JPG

636276126005485407-subaru5.JPG

636276126007981423-subaru6.JPG

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DI turbo charged engine. I plan on getting Ascent for wife and taking her 07 B9 as my daily. LGT wagon will become weekend/fun day car.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

A 2-seater pick-up version of that would also attract some people.

"some" people isn't a profit margin...see: chevy ss, subaru brat, subaru baja, ford ranchero, chevy el camino...what do they have in common none of them is in production any longer.

There is always hope someone makes something like this work for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smyth-Performance-VW-Jetta-Golf-truck-conversion-kit-/131730966676

The ridgeline is more of a midsize pickup with 4 doors, its sales also seemed to have peaked in 2006, even last year they didn't even make half of their peak sales. It just seems people who want a pickup have a lot to choose from already. A Subaru wouldn't bring anything that already isn't available, except with a reduced towing capacity and iffy long term reliability. (Yep I'm looking at you CVT)

In glad the wifey and i didnt pull trigger on dondge minivan or ford explorer. This right here is appealing to us. Thank you Subaru for a 3rd row. Wife says about how many recalls will this have lol. Cant wait to see it at stealership and take a test drive with our 1 year old daughter. Her 11 legacy will be my daily and my 08 lgt will be the weekend warrior.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

DI turbo charged engine. I plan on getting Ascent for wife and taking her 07 B9 as my daily. LGT wagon will become weekend/fun day car.

I sent the info to my wife and asked her what she thought. She liked the overall styling and interior, but thought it was pretty large. I mentioned that it was about the same dimensions as the new VW Atlas and a Ford Explorer and she seemed to think it less big than she thought from the pics.

I heard nothing about an H6DI, only the DIT H4. For something that will be north of 4000 lbs, possibly >4200 lbs, before adding passengers, luggage and towed something or another, I'm reserving judgement on the H4DIT

Like the look/size and that it's a Subaru, so hopefully, there'll be an option. Unlikely, but I can always hope.

For a 4,000 lb vehicle, I can't imagine anything less than 8 cylinders would be sufficient. And it should burn leaded gas. I don't know where some of you are getting a crazy idea that a 6 cylinder could possibly do.

With an H6DIT you're looking at an easy 350AWHP/380 AWTQ More than enough, and spread over six cylinders, that's ~50HP p/cylinder versus 88HP for an H4DIT. More, easier power, less engine stress and minimal MPG tradeoff.

Would they go that route? Likely not.

"some" people isn't a profit margin...see: chevy ss, subaru brat, subaru baja, ford ranchero, chevy el camino...what do they have in common none of them is in production any longer.

There is always hope someone makes something like this work for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smyth-Performance-VW-Jetta-Golf-truck-conversion-kit-/131730966676

Small pickups are pretty common here in Europe though. And during late 80's there was a lot of Brats around here.

The ridgeline is more of a midsize pickup with 4 doors, its sales also seemed to have peaked in 2006, even last year they didn't even make half of their peak sales. It just seems people who want a pickup have a lot to choose from already. A Subaru wouldn't bring anything that already isn't available, except with a reduced towing capacity and iffy long term reliability. (Yep I'm looking at you CVT)

Here the Outback 2.5i is classed to be able to pull 2000kg, which is decent.

453747.png

Nils - here a 2.5i and, now for 2017+ 3.6rs, the towing capacity is

2.5L 4 cylinder and 3.6L 6 cylinder

• 200 lb tongue weight (91 Kg)

• 2700 pounds with trailer brakes.(1230 Kg)

• 1000 pounds without trailer brakes. (455 Kg)

• over 104* F when towing up a long hill max weight should be 1350 pounds. (614 Kg)

• Replace the CVT oil at app 24855 miles if towing.
  • (Note:..for the 2017 model, the 3.6L's maximum towing weight has been dropped from 3000 to 2700 pounds. It was 3000 pounds on the 2016, 2015, 2013, 2012 3.6L models... )

The 08+ Tribeca/Legacy/Outback 5EAT is a really stout piece of kit.

My master tech told me he's had no issues with any, and he services a ton of Subarus on an annual basis, over a lot of years. He thought the original 5EAT was good, but the revised 08+ was that much better.

I'm sure there's a six or eight speed that could be made to work reliably behind the H6, so increased fuel mileage, and no need for CVT...increased capability/capacity - bonus.

And all of the major players in this segment, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Ford, GM and FCA all offer a six cylinder model in their 3-row SUV lineups. Can't imagine Subaru not offering one as well.

they dont have to if the 2.4DIT makes 300+hp/tq. it would be like ford's 4cyl ecoboost line in vehicles like the edge which seem to to be comparable to this ascent.

thats why im anxious to see what this 2.4DIT will actually be. It is the linchpin of this whole car.

they dont have to if the 2.4DIT makes 300+hp/tq. it would be like ford's 4cyl ecoboost line in vehicles like the edge which seem to to be comparable to this ascent.

thats why im anxious to see what this 2.4DIT will actually be. It is the linchpin of this whole car.

Agreed.

in the Ford Explorer (apples to apples) Ford's 2.3DIT I4 produces at least 280HP/310TQ and AWD capability, and Classs II (1.25" hitch and NMT 250 lbs tongue and 3500 lbs trailer weight) towing capacity

Their base model is a 200HP 3.5L V6

You have to get all the way to the $45K+ Sport model to get the 365 HP/350TQ 3.5L EcoBoost TT V6., Weight on the base Explorer is 4800 lbs/4901 on the Explorer Sport. Class III Towing on the Sport limited to 5000 LBS and load equalizing hitch setup.

the explorer is apples to apples? you think the ascent will be 4500lb+ ? hmmmm.

was the B9 that fat?

Apples to apples in that they're both midsize SUVs. You referenced the Flex which is a CUV.

Considering that the 2014 Tribeca weighs 4253 lbs, I suspect that the Ascent probably has another 2-300 lbs of metal and materials so would not be surpirsed to see 44-4500 lbs base weight. That weight seems realistic, unless they've found some way to introduce aluminum into the chassis and panels.

Subaru isn't going to abandon their 5-star crash/safety rating to lighten it up substantially.

Edited by SBT
corrected Tribeca weight up.

the explorer is apples to apples? you think the ascent will be 4500lb+ ? hmmmm.

was the B9 that fat?

Considering that's what was seen driving around with the Ascent in spy shots, I'd say it a safe bet.

Given how long Subaru has been in the FI/H4 business, my view is that they're already ahead in that area. Would not be surprised to see 300+HP, but that's still a lot of stress for a split-block engine. I'm sure engine reliability is a critical design feaature.