LegacyGT.com

Stage 2+? Build Advice Needed

Hey Guys - need a sanity to check to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and to ask a couple of questions about my up coming build. My main objective is to maintain reliability as I'd like this to be my primary vehicle. Any input (or used parts :lol:) would be greatly appreciated.

Relevant Vehicle Background:

• '05 LGT with 135K, bone stock (minus clutch) and WELL maintained all its life
  • Recent leak down / compression test, all consistent / in spec
  • *Current massive oil consumption (up to a qt per tank of gas)*

*Oil confirmed leaking from valve covers, timing belt cover, and showing up at intercooler/turbo joint. PCV replaced 30K ago, will replace ASAP just to be sure.

I have two quotes, one from a reputable, well known (more expensive) Subaru shop and one smaller, "local" up and coming Subaru shop and a buddy who will likely be helping me install some or all of the parts. And a target budget of $4k, max $5k:spin:. Here's the shopping list (hoping to install most of these with my buddy):

• Catless UP / catted DP
  • BNR 16G (or VF52) Turbo
  • Inlet hose, Turbo oil feed line
  • Perrin (or Grimmspeed) TMIC
  • Wide Band O2 sensor (DP has extra bung for this) and gage
  • Fuel Pump (Deatschwerks 306C)
  • Cobb or Perrin EBC
  • Access Port (for Tuning as "required" by tuner)
  • Replace existing panel air filter

I've planning to pay the more reputable shop to do the more critical stuff:

• Oil leak repair (valve cover, cam seals, crank shaft/oil pump seal)
  • 91 Tune (not the extra E85 or 93 because 93 isn't always available)
  • Spark plugs (during oil leak repair), potentially one step colder (tuner preference)
  • Replace timing belt, water pump and tensioner based on how it looks (currently these parts are only 30K old)
  • Remove oil screens during this process

I do not plan to do the following right now (out of budget):

• Fuel Injectors or feed conversion kits
  • Intake
  • Clutch/flywheel (currently have SMFW with Exedy OEM replacement w/40K, would plan to replace in the future when it starts to slip)
  • Blow Off Valve (replace if boosting more than 20 PSI)
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) (more research needed)

Here are my questions:

1. Did I miss any critical or "might as well replace" parts / any suggestions for my "plan"?
  2. Do I need to do anything after else to the fuel system once I install a new fuel pump?

make sure you either remove the oem oil screens or do the upgraded lines.

the bnr 16 is the best of those 3 turbos, almost same flow as the 18g and spools about as good as the vf52.

id suggest 650-850 injectors w 16g-18g depending on how hard you wanna push it, with oem injectors you will max injectors out around 16psi. by max out i mean run past 90% which shortens life...

no restrictor pill required with ebcs, it gets removed completely i have grimspeed 3 port and love it. ebcs require roughly 30-40% less wgdc before its more than limped to tuner, the ebcs alows for a much faster spool if tuned correctly

as far as fpr i have the 04 sti oem, got rid of stumble

and for plugs go one range colder uridium,

if you wanna save a few bucks i can make you a base map for the ebcs and or injectors if you pm me

Id say get the grimmspeed intercooler if your budget allows other wise the perrin is fine and maybe a aftermarket panel filter . A dry flow one.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

when did you replace the timing belt and who did it? seems an interesting place to have leaks if it was recently done. If you haven't done it yet, then it needs doing.

also upgrading a motor before fixing the oil leaks isn't going to help fix them.

Timing belt was replaced at 105K by a friend of mine (and myself). Is there something that we could have done to cause the leak by replacing the belt, water pump and tensioner?

And I agree, the leak will be fixed prior to modifying it.

Didn't realize there were screens in there, can you tell me a little more about this? I though the screens were only located in the banjo bolts for the turbo feed line...

Those are the ones he's talking about. HAMMERDOWN has a thread about filing down the head of the front banjo and pulling the bolt and removing the filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Timing belt was replaced at 105K by a friend of mine (and myself). Is there something that we could have done to cause the leak by replacing the belt, water pump and tensioner?

And I agree, the leak will be fixed prior to modifying it.

Yer post says leaking from tb cover and cam seals. If you did the work and they are leaking, who determined that was an issue? you or someone else?

I saw a couple of drips from the lower plastic TB cover. I also took the car to one of the shops I'm looking at having do some of the work and they agreed that there may be an issue and we should at least look into it.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. What are you thinking?

20151106_190823.thumb.jpg.c75eddb0801bb5fbdddc6d616421889b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe replace OCVs while in there. I had mine changed at 80k and one basically fell apart in the mechanic's hand.

Company 23 Barbed T to replace the Blue T, combined with zip tie and/or hairspray/super glue vacuum hoses, especially the one coming off the T into the back side of the manifold.

Fumato valve to make changing the oil easier.

I personally think the LGT needs a short throw shifter/ shifter bushings as a must have, and upgraded suspension and decent rotors/pads to mate with stage 2 power.

I'm E-tuned stage 2 and still don't have my suspension/steering figured out and I feel I can't enjoy it to its fullest yet.

Archived