LegacyGT.com

#4 Coil pack keeps failing

Any idea what underlying issue might cause the same ignition coil to fail 3 times in 30k miles? All my ground straps are intact and I even have one of those Buddy Club grounding kits. Stock NGK plugs look good.

I have an Optima red top battery that's almost 8 years old. It tests fine so I see no reason to replace it.

Of course it has to be the #4 coil pack that is a PITA to access...

Always OE coils, but the last two were used ones I got from the junkyard. Just replaced it with a brand new OEM, and replaced spark plugs as well. The coil pack wires had some oil on them - cleaned them and rewrapped with electrical tape and conduit. Is there any way I can measure the voltage the ECU is sending to each coil pack?

I would suspect at this point that your coil packs aren't the root cause. Look upstream. Inspect the harnesses - there could be a wire short caused by a rodent chewing on wires, pulled out pins, or dry rotted wires.

Do you have the factory service manual? It will list the voltage and resistance to check.

The only issue with the power probe is you can only check voltage. I should have mentioned that earlier. You need ohms to check resistance which any voltmeter will be able to do. They are fairly inexpensive and I'd recommend the Fluke brand and if available pick up a various set of test leads to aid in future use.

Archived